• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Hopefully (maybe?) if it’s intensity is peaking right now,  it’ll slowly begin to weaken well before coastal impact 

With the trend the last several years of maintaining (or gaining) strength right up to land fall, it's hard to assume that. Not the most scientific take in the world, but...it's happening so often now it seems!

• Like 3

Just now, dan11295 said:

12Z track guidance from tropical tidbits seems to be zeroing in on Sarasota area for LF. lot of the northern models shifted south. Better for Tampa Bay, although that entire coastal area is fairly densely populated.  Obviously still too early to rule out to a LF north of there yet.  Want to see the GFS start moving south. Although that entire coastal area is fairly densely populated. Intensity guidance has 100-110 kt at LF, while on a weakening trend. 

The spaghetti models have had a center on Sarasota for a while now. The GFS, HAFS, HWRF, and I believe HMON all go over Tampa or just north. 

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Looks like a SE movement right now-has time to make the turn but if it doesn't it would be obviously weaker with any Yucatan interaction or even a LF there.

The 06z HWRF never brings the center South of 22N which is already off based on the latest advisory position of 21.7N.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TriPol said:

My god... I'm blown away.

Just now, TriPol said:

There won't be a Clearwater left after this.

The histrionics without any substantive commentary isn't helpful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2
  • 100% 11

11°C increase from eyewall to eye with hail/graupel. Pressure falling rapidly. No sign of outer band. With such a small RMW, if Milton gets into the 920s, we're most likely going to see a Category 5 status within a few more hours. It's certainly not done bottoming out.

Edit: "Grapple"... lol... Also, RMW (radius of maximum wind), not VDM (vortex data message). Covering nights, and I need to sleep now, but you know why I'm not.

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

IMG_1410.thumb.gif.e430744465c432d746217956395da8bb.gifI don’t see the weakening immediately prior to landfall on the latest global guidance. That was clear consensus up to this point, but seems to be lost at the moment.  Here’s today’a 6z GFS for example

I think there will be some of course whenever this undergoes (another) ERC, but I never fully bought into substantial weakening in the hours before landfall for reasons I mentioned last night. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:

11°C increase from eyewall to eye with hail/grapple. Pressure falling rapidly. No sign of outer band. With such a small VDM, if Milton gets into the 920s, we're most likely going to see a Category 5 status within a few more hours. It's certainly not done bottoming out.

Considering we are on the cusp of 5 already I think that's almost a lock at this point

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

What I never understood about small storms with small eyes is why they rapidly strengthen but that they seem to weaken way more following ERCs than big storms do.  You’d think it would be the opposite of that but you think of Patricia or Opal those things straight up got killed by ERCs.  Then again both also made landfall soon after so we don’t really know if they had another day or two over water what might have happened 

Compared to one with a stable core, tropical cyclones undergoing EWRCs are more vulnerable to disruption by unfavorable environmental conditions; even transient ones, such as dry air entrainment from even modest amounts of shear. This is what usually causes substantial weakening post-EWRC, not the EWRC itself. If the conditions remain favorable and the cyclone has enough time before land; it can/likely will resume intensification as the new eyewall takes over and contracts.

There’s def a double-edged sword element to the exact track.

I see evidence of a PRE collocated with the north/west quadrant of Milton. The southeast section looks relatively dry. 

The southeast section will carry the highest winds/surge/coastal flooding but the northwest section will have all the fresh water flooding risk. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 2

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

11°C increase from eyewall to eye with hail/graupel. Pressure falling rapidly. No sign of outer band. With such a small VDM, if Milton gets into the 920s, we're most likely going to see a Category 5 status within a few more hours. It's certainly not done bottoming out.

Recon is now looking to conduct a SE to NW pass. It would not surprise me at all if Milton has cleared that threshold. 

It's very impressive, but it looks to be the most obvious RI we've ever seen.

This storm has had the absolute perfect conditions and precocious structure. It has lead a charmed life. I'm interested to see how it will integrate it's one imperfection as it continues to deepen - that blob to the NE.

3 hours ago, Richie said:

The histrionics without any substantive commentary isn't helpful.

Yes, please remember. Some of us are just regular everyday weather nerds in Clearwater with families, and we're lurking here for good info. Usually just out of interest, but in this case, to make the best decisions for our families as we ride this out. (None flood, none evacuation zone here)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

It’s extremely close to becoming a 5, but we have to pay attention to how this faster intensification and time between an ERC impacts track, surge potential, and future intensity for FL. The NHC advisory should be telling, but I’m guessing with this peak, a category four at landfall looks increasingly possible. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 3