• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
October Banter 2024

JenkinsJinkies

Elias needs to start making some major deals and stop protecting every prospect. This organization needs to move beyond the rebuilding mode. 

This-

An ownership that is more willing to spend will help, especially with Rutschman eligible for arbitration for the first time and rental ace Corbin Burnes about to enter free agency.

More than anything though, it seems the front office and GM Mike Elias need a philosophy shift away from building for the future and toward winning right now. There are times the O's seem more focused on having the best farm system than the best major league team. Maybe that's an unfair statement, but that's what it looks like at times. A lack of urgency is the primary optic.

The Burnes trade was a no-brainer and very successful. The Zach Eflin trade at the deadline worked out well too even though he missed some time..

Efforts to reinforce the bullpen were, frankly, disastrous. The Orioles signed only one major-league free agent last offseason: Craig Kimbrel. He had a nice run to start the year, but, for the sixth straight season, Kimbrel was demoted out of high leverage work by the middle of the summer. Baltimore designated him for assignment in September. That was their lone free-agent signing.

At the deadline, the too cute by half approach led the O's to the most combustible parts of the Philadelphia Phillies bullpen -- Seranthony Domínguez and Gregory Soto -- and those moves appeared to have as much to do with team control in 2025 than what the pitchers could do in 2024. Domínguez was fine after the trade, but that's all.

Burnes was great, so too was Eflin. The rest of the team's pitching decisions left a lot of be desired. Too much focus on the future, not enough on now.

What's next for Orioles after another early playoff exit? Baltimore must finally be ready to win now

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/whats-next-for-orioles-after-another-early-playoff-exit-baltimore-must-finally-be-ready-to-win-now/

16 hours ago, CAPE said:

Elias needs to start making some major deals and stop protecting every prospect. This organization needs to move beyond the rebuilding mode. 

This-

What's next for Orioles after another early playoff exit? Baltimore must finally be ready to win now

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/whats-next-for-orioles-after-another-early-playoff-exit-baltimore-must-finally-be-ready-to-win-now/

He did protect every prospect... Remember when he gave up Stowers and Norby for Rogers.  That was a horrible trade.

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

He did protect every prospect... Remember when he gave up Stowers and Norby for Rogers.  That was a horrible trade.

A top prospect- that's what it takes if you want an impact player in return. Otherwise yeah, you get a Rogers.

It will be interesting to see how aggressive the new ownership will be in free agency.

22 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Most of the line up seems unwilling to change their approach. Westburg and O'hearn cut down their swing with 2 strikes and tried to just put the bat on ball. I thought that was very obvious.  Others seem to just refuse that approach. Not sure if that's players unwilling to or unable to or coaches wanting them to swing for the fences or a combination of all 3. I find it hard to believe that someone that has the ability to hit a 95 mile an hour pitch is not able to cut down there swing with 2 strikes.

Probably Gunners at bats were the most frustrating to watch. 

As were Cowser's at bats.  You could tell he was guessing when he swung at a pitch thrown directly at him.  172 Ks in 499 at bats.  He strikes out just under 35% of the time and he is the ROY....shows how bad of a class it was.

I saw this video the other day on Rete Rose talking about adjusting at the plate when you are slumping and not changing your stance.  Makes sense and the fact that he was as successful of a hitter as he was shows that it is more of a mental game then anything else.  By the way, Adley's new stance is way too open. 

https://youtu.be/JcS0Lfa60U8?si=NqWrXDlNjdANPVms

One other player who I think was missed was Mateo.  Seems like everyone was talking about Westburg not being available, but Mateo served as a key role-player and definitely would have helped down the stretch. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

One other player who I think was missed was Mateo.  Seems like everyone was talking about Westburg not being available, but Mateo served as a key role-player and definitely would have helped down the stretch. 

Orioles need speed and also learn to play some small ball.

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

A top prospect- that's what it takes if you want an impact player in return. Otherwise yeah, you get a Rogers.

It will be interesting to see how aggressive the new ownership will be in free agency.

My guess is payroll will go up modestly but nothing like fans are clamoring for.

I think Burnes is definitely gone and Probably Santander too.

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Nice. I worked today and am enjoying a post shift Munich Dunkel Porter on draft. Good list here now. The Oktoberfest will be back on as soon as something else kicks.

image.jpeg.321b7c57130a27a0962f542161ddcf6b.jpeg

Whoa. I think I would be all over that WC Triple IPA to start.

• Like 1

Ravens fans on here are so negative. How about that Lamar is having another MVP type season. Has thrown 1 INT in 5 games, with a thrower rating of >100. And before this game he was the 9th leading rusher in the NFL. That scramble to Likely for a TD was amazing! 

Stoney Case, Chris Redman, Tony Banks, Kyle Boller.. remember those days? 

49 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Ravens fans on here are so negative. How about that Lamar is having another MVP type season. Has thrown 1 INT in 5 games, with a thrower rating of >100. And before this game he was the 9th leading rusher in the NFL. That scramble to Likely for a TD was amazing! 

Stoney Case, Chris Redman, Tony Banks, Kyle Boller.. remember those days? 

Lamar was great. Defense not so much.

• 100% 1

I was up north of White Hall, MD at Star Bright Farm for a piano concert in their gorgeous restored barn this evening and after it was done and walking to the car I 100% thought I saw streaks of northern lights starting to be visible about 8:20 pm- checked through the phone camera and absolutely it was. Worth looking north for anyone away from lightwash this evening, I think. 

• Like 3