Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
October Banter 2024

JenkinsJinkies

5 minutes ago, Interstate said:

How do people in Seattle do it.  This has been the most miserable week and a half of weather in a very long time.

Being a close drive to some of the best outdoor activity locations in the country certainly makes it easier lol. 

Haven’t watched a game since I went and saw us do nothing back in August. This team is so dreadful behind the plate. It’s sad with all this talent. Should never be this bad. Coaches must get paid to do nothing, or players have their head up their ass. Oh well. Burnes will bounce and hopefully we get some pitching this off-season to counter what will be multiple pitchers likely not coming back till end of next season or not until 2026. 

15 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I was there today. I got 4 tix for about 100 dollars. Insane. Hyde needs to go. Why do you need a manager if you just use analytics. Burns was at 85 pitches. Let him pitch. Why is McCann is the lineup???  I can put out a better lineup than Hyde. 

Because McCann is who Burnes likes to pitch to. I'd think you'd give your ace a choice in the playoffs with that. And tbh...on Burnes side, it worked!

And hold on...Burnes gave up a hit in the 9th. Time to turn it over because it was just a one run game and you're trying to keep it that way.

4 hours ago, RickinBaltimore said:

If the O's lose this series, changes have got to be made. At the least enough with the co-hitting coaches

While I still do not believe the hitting coaches are at fault (the problem with these hitters is mental), they may end up taking the fall if we don't comeback in this series. I've been saying for awhile here...they're coaches, not psychiatrists. They can't force these players to think better...the players have to work through that! So the issue could be more roster construction...that maybe these young players need a veteran bat with great OBP to help lead. Coaching can't solve all mental stuff...the players gotta follow what's coached!

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

While I still do not believe the hitting coaches are at fault (the problem with these hitters is mental), they may end up taking the fall if we don't comeback in this series. I've been saying for awhile here...they're coaches, not psychiatrists. They can't force these players to think better...the players have to work through that! So the issue could be more roster construction...that maybe these young players need a veteran bat with great OBP to help lead. Coaching can't solve all mental stuff...the players gotta follow what's coached!

It's their approach at the plate. Most of them swing for the fences no matter the situation or count. Don't know if that's on the players or at the direction of the coaches  but you see that up and down the line up.

It's been that way for 162 games. Not reason to believe it's going to change now.

• 100% 3

On 9/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, JenkinsJinkies said:

Oktoberfest and Halloween discussions welcome

People in Texas were already setting up Halloween decorations as of Sept 23. They start early. In November, even before Thanksgiving, some even set up elaborate Christmas decorations.

Hyde is garbage.  Had a terrible year and continues to be a very bad  in-game manager. McCann has no business being in the lineup on any MLB team. He is absolutely crap. Yes, you can't pitch to Witt there. Everything everyone has mentioned is spot-on with this guy. They don't respond anymore to him. Big change is coming after they get bounced again.

3 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Hyde is garbage.  Had a terrible year and continues to be a very bad  in-game manager. McCann has no business being in the lineup on any MLB team. He is absolutely crap. Yes, you can't pitch to Witt there. Everything everyone has mentioned is spot-on with this guy. They don't respond anymore to him. Big change is coming after they get bounced again.

That loss isn’t on Hyde at all. Pitching to Witt there is not some tragic error. Burnes got him out the other 3 times. He’s just a good hitter and he snuck a ground ball through the 5-6 hole. Top 5 hitters in the lineup went like 1-15. That isn’t Hyde’s fault.

• Like 1

I honestly think if the O's pull this out today they win the series. The postseason losing streak is the elephant in the room right now, and they need to win to get that out of there. After that, they likely play a lot looser and more like they did the last week of the season.

• 100% 1

10 hours ago, Chris78 said:

It's their approach at the plate. Most of them swing for the fences no matter the situation or count. Don't know if that's on the players or at the direction of the coaches  but you see that up and down the line up.

It's been that way for 162 games. Not reason to believe it's going to change now.

Mullins on 2nd with no outs.....Bunt him over, sac fly then up 1-0.  

Urias on 2nd with an out and not sending him on the lazy bloop to center?  I thought it was obvious it was going to drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

Doubt Hyde is gone. You win 192 games over the past 2 years and playoffs back to back and over come all the injuries to make the post season again. 

Could be changes under neath  Hyde but I don't think he's gone.

I agree some of his decisions this year has been questionable 

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

That loss isn’t on Hyde at all. Pitching to Witt there is not some tragic error. Burnes got him out the other 3 times. He’s just a good hitter and he snuck a ground ball through the 5-6 hole. Top 5 hitters in the lineup went like 1-15. That isn’t Hyde’s fault.

EH. Strong disagree. 

It's best 2 of 3 - it's a 0-0 game in game 1 and we know that 88% of the teams (14 of 16) since MLB went to this best of 3 initial round format who win game 1 go on to win the round.  Ragens was also dealing and runs were at an absolute premium. The ball was not snuck through the hole, it was an absolute line drive base hit.

The simple quick analysis is that with two outs and a runner on third and first base open, giving an intentional walk to what will be the easy runner-up for the AL MVP and who, in a year other than the one Aaron Judge just had, would be the MVP, it is a really REALLY simple calculation to put him on and take your chances with Pasquatino. Witt's OPS for 2024 was .977.  Pasquantino's OPS for 2024 was .760.  I simply cannot get on board with pitching to Witt in that spot in a 0-0 game in the 6th where one run might (and did) decide it.  I don't care that Burnes wanted to get him.  Hyde should have over-ruled that 100 times out of 100.  If Pasquantino beats you, so be it, but the better hitter, by FAR, was Witt. Take the bat out of Witt's hands.  

Again, it is SUCH a short series, there is not time for genital-measuring from Burnes over "I wanted to get Witt". I don't care. I don't care times 1000.  They literally let KC's best hitter and one of the most dangerous hitters in baseball beat them in a spot where they didn't have to give him that chance.  Fwiw, I said this in real time, before the at-bat, from section 356. Couldn't believe they took the chance on pitching to him. Even if they had gotten him out, it would have been bad process. 

Hope Os can overcome the odds and be one of the 12% to overcome being down 0-1 in a  best of three, but that decision REALLY REALLY was questionable in real time.  Just hate everything about it.

• Like 2
  • 100% 1

3 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Doubt Hyde is gone. You win 192 games over the past 2 years and playoffs back to back and over come all the injuries to make the post season again. 

Could be changes under neath  Hyde but I don't think he's gone.

I agree some of his decisions this year has been questionable 

I think the most likely change if, IF we get bounced would be the hitting coaches. I think they give Hyde himself one more chance--I get the sense that Elias wants to go all the way with him and not have Hyde become another rebuilding manager statistic of getting fired then the WS ring comes. BUT...if it that doesn't work either, they may not have a choice but to look elsewhere. Maybe Buck Britton from AAA? Since most of these players know him already?..

But perhaps we oughta wait until the end of this series before we start speculating--but ya can't help but think of the scenarios!

I said this last year.  We should have followed how Houston did their rebuild.  Have a coach for the rebuild and then replace him when you want to start winning.  Hyde was given the keys to a sports car and he is driving it like a 1986 Chevy Cavalier.  Yes I know there has been injuries, but all teams have them.  He is just like Harbaugh, always using the numbers and not trusting his gut.  I know it did not make a difference... but Burnes was dealing and only was at 85 pitches.  He should have at least started the 9th.  This whole thing about you need to stack your lineup based upon a righty/lefty is BS in the post season.  You put your best 9 guys out there that can win.