Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
October Discobs 2024

JenkinsJinkies

5 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Yellow ball in sky warning in effect

According to my  journal the last time we had 13 out of 14 days as cloudy with drizzle was May 2018

I feel you on this observation. Unfortunately, the temps skyrocketed up to the mid 80s this afternoon as soon as most of the clouds cleared in this part of NoVA. Frankly, I'm ready for the kind of autumn-ish temps that are being forecasted next week.  :)

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Anyone Aurora tracking? Going to be down in Charlottesville this weekend - thinking of giving it a go tomorrow night, assuming the CME timing pans out. Still looks cloudy today.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably try driving up to Shenandoah. Tomorrow night looks clear for tracking and like it has the better odds for something visible.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably try driving up to Shenandoah. Tomorrow night looks clear for tracking and like it has the better odds for something visible.

Read something about the first CME tonight maybe “destabilizing” (probably the wrong term) the skies (definitely the wrong term… ionosphere? Idk) and it could make the 2nd night more interesting. Sounded interesting to me.

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Read something about the first CME tonight maybe “destabilizing” (probably the wrong term) the skies (definitely the wrong term… ionosphere? Idk) and it could make the 2nd night more interesting. Sounded interesting to me.

I did Raven's Roost for the last one but there was a fair amount of light pollution visible from the valley there. Thinking I'll either go further south towards the St. Mary's WIlderness or head north to Big Meadows this time

• Like 2

I did Raven's Roost for the last one but there was a fair amount of light pollution visible from the valley there. Thinking I'll either go further south towards the St. Mary's WIlderness or head north to Big Meadows this time

My night is being spent at the Young (last year being “young”) Alumni Reunion for UVA… so I’m gonna make a call of whether I can *really* get out to the mountains after the party.

Otherwise, gonna drive towards localized darkness and see if I can get a photo. Light pollution gets a lot better even down to Covesville. Just need to find a north view!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TSG said:

Entire parkway is closed starting at Afton... North along Skyline Dr is fine...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Anyone Aurora tracking? Going to be down in Charlottesville this weekend - thinking of giving it a go tomorrow night, assuming the CME timing pans out. Still looks cloudy today.

Definitely trying to here near Blacksburg. Not sure what night to go. Also really busy this weekend so not sure how late to stay up.

• Like 1