Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
October 2024 General Discussion

Geoboy645

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

We've had two hard freezes here but there's still a ton of bugs around.  The ladybugs have gone apeshit over the past few days, worse than I've ever seen.  

lol yeah ladybugs were all over the lakefront trail yesterday

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

They seem a bit duller, leaves just drying out and turning brown quicker, but we are at peak so colors are still magnificent. 

Every year they make a big deal out of the best conditions for the best color, and while some years are more brilliant (or longer) than others, I've never seen a color show disappoint. Simply does not happen in the upper midwest/Great Lakes/northeast with our variety of trees/colors. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

We've had two hard freezes here but there's still a ton of bugs around.  The ladybugs have gone apeshit over the past few days, worse than I've ever seen.  

Same here. They are trying everything to get inside houses

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

re: ladybugs and for the more u know file

i guess the october swarming, especially warm days after a first freeze is a thing

https://www.columbiatribune.com/story/lifestyle/2022/10/19/how-the-ladybugs-history-explains-its-autumn-appearance/69568617007/

I feel so validated by all of this talk because the last week or so, whenever I take my dog for a walk in the forest preserve by my house, it smells overwhelmingly of ladybug, and I thought I was just losing it. I imagine there's probably just a big gathering somewhere close to the entrance that I haven't discovered

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Every year they make a big deal out of the best conditions for the best color, and while some years are more brilliant (or longer) than others, I've never seen a color show disappoint. Simply does not happen in the upper midwest/Great Lakes/northeast with our variety of trees/colors. 

I’ll note, the large Swamp White Oak outside our house went from mostly green to post peak in 4 days. Yesterday it was peak color and today brown and dropping leaves. Trees aren’t holding the color as long this year and dropping leaves rather quickly. 

84 here this afternoon. 

Yes i am awful at taking pictures.

image.jpg

4 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I’ll note, the large Swamp White Oak outside our house went from mostly green to post peak in 4 days. Yesterday it was peak color and today brown and dropping leaves. Trees aren’t holding the color as long this year and dropping leaves rather quickly. 

84 here this afternoon. 

Yes i am awful at taking pictures.

image.jpg

I don't know. Looks like a perfect image to me. Shows the brown in exquisite form and sharpness with some color in the background for even more contrast. It tells the story you are telling in a very clear manner.