Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
October 2024 General Discussion

Geoboy645

3 hours ago, KeenerWx said:

Getting some good pics & reports so far to the east!

We have been viewing them here.   Not as strong as the May event so far.  Very glad I live out in the boonies so we can star gaze. 

EDIT:  Just had a really nice wave of Aurora go through with some great colors.  Especially lots of reds. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

We have been viewing them here.   Not as strong as the May event so far.  Very glad I live out in the boonies so we can star gaze. 

EDIT:  Just had a really nice wave of Aurora go through with some great colors.  Especially lots of reds. :thumbsup:

Had a pretty phenomenal show from ~9-9:30P CDT. Since then, most of the visible reds have been hanging out to the south. Looking north is just a diffused green glow that has been along for most of the event.

(I also live in the sticks)

• Like 1

Snapped far too many pics on my iPhone. 

Haven't gone through most of them; attaching one of my favorites from early in the night. The show has basically been visible to the naked eye from just after sunset until now. Mostly diffused for sure, but had several long runs of vibrant colors bursting in the sky. In some ways, this event has eclipsed May from personal observations. (1) Was able to see sustained (to naked eye) curtain movement, (2) witnessed pulsating aurora overhead. The second bit tripped me out a bit & I thought my eyes were fooling me. It looked like electrical currents running the sky and at first reminded me of bioluminescent jellyfish. Has been widely reported, though, so I'm confident I haven't gone crazy. :lol:

10/10. And an unforgettable run so far this year with visible aurora. Can't recall any recent stretch where we've gotten so many great shows at this latitude. The only thing to beat/match is my OG memory of aurora as a kid sometime 2003/2004? Had the quintessential show that you see advertised in Alaska, Iceland, etc -- vibrant green curtains & coronas -- but in Northwest Indiana.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Nice to finally see some precipitation showing up.  Yeah, it is the GFS but hopefully after weeks of dryness it is on to something.

Untitled.gif

Big change from runs over the past couple weeks, that's for sure.

I noticed we are finally starting to see a little movement on the Great Lakes, especially Lake Superior. Forecast calls for levels to continue dropping through March. Note that most precipitation in the Superior Basin is frozen in the winter, so less uncertainty moving forward. The other lakes are more uncertain. Current forecast calls for levels in March to range from 183.02 to 183.27 meters. At the low end, that would approach levels last seen in 2013. Big change from the record high levels of 2019 & 2020. Also note, there's a well-defined seasonality in lake levels, which reach their lowest typically in March or April.

image.png.9a23dccc74c3cf055df8351ea66cb148.png

1 hour ago, nvck said:

aurora2(1).thumb.png.a5c38131c9bbe7abbdd0cdeffc7d1ed0.pngPretty good show just north of Mt Pleasant, MI. Crazy sight with the wind farms surrounding you as well

Nice! I tried to go outside to look for it. I might have seen a vaguely green sky. Kind of frustrating. But hey, I saw two solar eclipses with sunny skies in the last 7 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chinook said:

Too bad you missed out. My area had the rainiest day since July 10th and, most likely, the most thundery day since June. It's too bad this rain couldn't help the farms much.

Today I surpassed 1" total for this event.  This is the most rain I have seen fall from the sky since driving August 5 from North Dakota, Minnesota to La Cross WI.  

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like a tenth or two of precip around the 22nd and then bone dry through halloween.  Hopefully a real weather system arrives in November.

By November I’ll be hoping it’s frozen, but anything helps at this point. We had a few sprinkles today but nothing measurable. Felt like a true autumn day, temps in the lower 50s and gusty winds taking lots of leaves off the trees.