Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
October 2024 General Discussion

Geoboy645

13 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Not sure it will be better then the epic showing in May when we had multiple X-class CMEs impact Earth. We shall see, space weather can do funny things sometimes. I’m planning on going out to my usual spot tomorrow night. 

Well I’m not seeing anything from my vantage point, even with the phone this go around. Are you folks seeing anything tonight?

On 10/5/2024 at 8:08 AM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Tonight is the night. KP never really got above 3 last night.

Last night was very quite.  Unfortunately it is not looking so good but there remains some hope for tonight:

image.png.68674cd18d24e1ad508adfd5dc877bfa.png

Went out for a ride in the morning air before the line of storms hits, I could see darkness, hear thunder off in the distance, tepid breeze, hear the birds chirping like it was Spring, observing the colours, with the sun still shining - memorable! Line seems okay so far on radar and I tend to believe with the number of strikes my station is sensing this may not be a flop, TWN wrote kind of setup we’ll see on Sunday has been known to overperform in the past. Sadly they gave no details nor get into the nitty gritty :rolleyes:

Decent storming going on for a KP5. Low horizon glow locally, but seeing some reports from Southern WI that sound a bit more impressive. Not going to be anything like the May storm of course, but worth a peak outside if you're bored - or otherwise just generally interested.

Edit: NVM - see that we reached KP7/G3. Quite a bit stronger than the original forecasts for tonight.

Edit x2: Ended up lucking out and catching the strongest of the substorms this evening. They were quite brief but what a treat - show was visible to the naked eye. :)

8 hours ago, KeenerWx said:

Decent storming going on for a KP5. Low horizon glow locally, but seeing some reports from Southern WI that sound a bit more impressive. Not going to be anything like the May storm of course, but worth a peak outside if you're bored - or otherwise just generally interested.

Edit: NVM - see that we reached KP7/G3. Quite a bit stronger than the original forecasts for tonight.

Edit x2: Ended up lucking out and catching the strongest of the substorms this evening. They were quite brief but what a treat - show was visible to the naked eye. :)

Yeah it was brief but much better than nothing last night.  My niece in Alaska sent some awesome pictures north of Anchorage last night!! 

Last couple days I have been using my eclipse glasses to see the Sunspots as a couple have visible to the naked eye with the right protection of course!!!!! 

Early data for Sept in, and looks like a very warm Sept in the record. Currently sitting at 5th warmest, just a couple hundredths ahead of 1933, so it may or may not hold in the end. It was driven by a very warm 2nd half of the month, especially in the N sub. 5 & 10 yr trend charts shown respectively. 

Midwest Sept anom 5 yr.gif

Midwest Sept anom 10 yr.gif

On 10/4/2024 at 7:28 PM, Torchageddon said:

Most of the week was pleasant, nice sunny fall vibes with very gradual decrease in temps. Happy with us getting very little rain since Aug, some day recently it was less than 3mm; dried up fast. I can't remember the last time I heard rain on the roof, its been so light and brief. Sun I'm suppose to get a t-storm (me thinks Nov/Dec will be turbulent) on Sunday with 8mm of precip - hope it all misses me or fizzles. It did today; just some clouds mid-day.

The storm on Sun morning did fizzle, I got gapped! I heard sig thunder and before the split line 150 strikes detected. My station didn't even measure any rain lol. Sun came out early that afternoon too. Some downpours the first in months started last night though. This was a dynamic fall day with heavy showers then full sun minutes later.

14 minutes ago, Lightning said:

How do you know the surface weather is boring?  Most of our recent posts are about Space Weather :lol: :thumbsup:

For sure. At least this year has been pretty extraordinary from that perspective with several shots at Aurora & the eclipse.

• 100% 1

12 minutes ago, KeenerWx said:

For sure. At least this year has been pretty extraordinary from that perspective with several shots at Aurora & the eclipse.

Absolutely wonderful Space Weather year.   :sun:

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 10:31 AM, Geoboy645 said:

Drought Monitor updated, and it is starting to look really rough for the areas that have missed out on the last couple of events. 20241001_midwest_text.png

The Northwoods especially is looking rough, that's a large area of D2 added this week with no real precip chances in sight. Definitely an increased chance of wildfires up there as we continue on into October and November.