Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
October 2024 General Discussion

Geoboy645

19 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Some just like to clutter threads by talking and replying to themselves, in this case with nothing that has to do with October :lol:

False, it has plenty to do with October. I just stated in my post, there are opportunities for several days of 70+ coming up this week to add onto the current record. The 32 or lower max temperatures is also relevant, because as we move into late October, it becomes possible to have high temperatures at or below freezing. The earliest 32F max for Detroit is October 29, 1925. As though a switch is flipped, it becomes commonplace in the month of November. Every day in the month of November, save the 2nd and 6th, have had at least one 32 or lower afternoon [and those days were close with highs of 33F and 34F]. By the second half of November, highs below 20F occur from time to time. So it is indeed something to watch over the coming weeks, as I said.

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

Hey Josh @michsnowfreak,

Do you know what is the sunniest fall (% clear)?  You are much better at stats than I around here!  We have got to be close if not in the lead!!  This September and August combo so far has been incredible.

image.thumb.png.81a10e4ab9f14aed216fc485ac06c23d.png

Unfortunately I dont. For whatever reason, most NWSs (DTX included) began discontinuing % of possible sunshine back in the mid-1990s. Now only sky cover (0-10) is recorded. FWIW, early Fall (ie Sept especially) is traditionally the sunniest time of the year.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Frosty Fall morning today. While the metro stayed in the mid to upper 30s all night, rural areas tanked in the 20s. This is a fairly common occurrence with early season cold nights in Fall (not as noticeable during late season cold nights in spring).

Screenshot_20241017_102633_Gallery.jpg

Brrr... Detroit made it down to 37F. So cold! The record low max for October 16 & 18 is 37F! The record low for today is 23F.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

26 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Brrr... Detroit made it down to 37F. So cold! The record low max for October 16 & 18 is 37F! The record low for today is 23F.

I must have missed the part where I said it was record cold this morning:lol:. I merely said it was a frosty morning and i liked the way the frosted rooftops contrasted with the colorful trees. Actually, I pretty much stated that in my original post, noting the contrast of cold mornings differs from Fall to Spring. It was 26F in Ann Arbor.

Im starting to think TCC is just an AI generated bot profile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I must have missed the part where I said it was record cold this morning:lol:. I merely said it was a frosty morning and i liked the way the frosted rooftops contrasted with the colorful trees. Actually, I pretty much stated that in my original post, noting the contrast of cold mornings differs from Fall to Spring. It was 26F in Ann Arbor.

Im starting to think TCC is just an AI generated bot profile.

Ignore feature works great ;)

• 100% 1

7 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

39° at my house on top of a hill this morning and about a half mile away at the bottom of the hill my car read 34°.  Small change in location make a large difference on clear nights that radiate well.

Yeah. It was probably in the upper 20s JUST west of DTW airport. These Fall mornings have some wild local swings.

• 100% 1

11 hours ago, Chinook said:

I saw the comet! It's pretty low, maybe like 10 degrees up above the horizon. I tried last night after 8:00 but I concluded that I did not look for it at the right time last night, since the moon was out. Maybe some of us could spot the comet again soon with clear skies.

The night of the 12th I tried but there were a few contrails all in that area.  Don't know if I saw it or not :lol:   After that it was cloudy until the past couple nights in which I keep being a bit to late (the moon was too bright).  Gonna try again tonight.