• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
October 2024 General Discussion

Geoboy645

Despite it not really feeling like it, it is in fact October. Nothing really too exciting in the near-future, just continued 60s/70s and sunny for the region. As long as we can keep these conditions for the comet from the 9th-20th, we'll be alright. Biggest concern for the first half of the month otherwise is the continuing drought conditions in the areas that missed out on the rain on 9/22 and/or from Post-Helene, especially in the Northwoods where it has been pretty dry for a while now. Otherwise, not a whole lot going on. 

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

October is a month that I dont mind boring weather, since its the most colorful month of the year!

I agree.  I just wish we could get a couple morning below freezing dabbled in so that the leaves are done before November.  

What's interesting about October, for me personally, I don't have any 'October's to remember' that really stick out for me.  I.e. An October month that I would love to repeat.

Yes there are some specific October events especially around Halloween.  All other months I can think of at least one special month in each that I would love to repeat but not Octobers. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

Heading into the last quarter of the year. 2024 shaping up to be a very historic year on the weather front in the GL/OV.

Cleveland, Ohio

image.png.9a88bf5ba6f1850aaa812a83ece493fe.png

Columbus, Ohio

image.png.13853492a0f75916cfbcd7dc1303f054.png

Cincinnati, Ohio

image.png.db9dbcda091db292fcb36be93fe9e955.png

*Records from 1878, 1880 downtown at low elevation. 1921 from Abbe Observatory.

Detroit, Michigan

image.png.0284ab194a8f2f5c8bb3248ffacf5db2.png

Indianapolis, IN

image.png.0845bf7b351ea387d5b3ffa401a112f1.png

South Bend, IN

image.png.823ba3fc74823ee7faf5ff63d51fadaa.png

Lansing, MI

image.png.c6b4679d720ee6922dafbfe620db14ea.png

Saginaw, MI

image.png.0aafb83f9f8be985ed673d081d3e7bfd.png

The extreme dryness is putting stress on trees.  I'm seeing a lot of leaf drop around town.  The city planted a bunch of new trees last year along a nearby road.  Some of them are not looking good because they never get water.  The city has been planting a lot of new trees along roads across the city because of the 2020 derecho.  Unfortunately, a not-insignificant percentage of these trees end up dying because we keep getting bad drought every year and rain is the only way these trees get watered.

• Like 1

Drought Monitor updated, and it is starting to look really rough for the areas that have missed out on the last couple of events. 20241001_midwest_text.png

The Northwoods especially is looking rough, that's a large area of D2 added this week with no real precip chances in sight. Definitely an increased chance of wildfires up there as we continue on into October and November. 

11 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

Drought Monitor updated, and it is starting to look really rough for the areas that have missed out on the last couple of events. 20241001_midwest_text.png

The Northwoods especially is looking rough, that's a large area of D2 added this week with no real precip chances in sight. Definitely an increased chance of wildfires up there as we continue on into October and November. 

Little if any rain for much of the region over the next week. Good thing we are at the tail end of the growing season. Helene's rains in the Ohio Valley also brought stream flows up substantially. It looked like the lower Mississippi was on a collision course with a third straight record low flow October, but the recent rains have raised river levels along the Ohio and Mississippi significantly.

No precipitation forecasted for the next 10-14 days, 90% of this sub will be abnormally dry or experiencing drought conditions by then. 

Without the Helene remnants that came through last Friday, we would be looking at 0.10” of rain since the end of August.

It appeared Cedar Rapids was a lock to reach at least second place on the longest precip-less-stretch-on-record list.  However, tonight's showers and storms popped just a hair farther north than models suggested and the Cedar Rapids airport picked up 0.05".

16 hours ago, Lightning said:

I was watching this unfold today and thought some would like to know.  From Solarham.com:

image.png.4e2da521268533932957628e63d15d06.png

Looking forward to a show down our way possibly. Our magnetic field is weaker during the autumn and spring equinoxes so we will get a stronger storm in response. Glad it’s on the weekend when I don’t work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like ideal viewing conditions for most of the Midwest. Could be one for the ages.

Not sure it will be better then the epic showing in May when we had multiple X-class CMEs impact Earth. We shall see, space weather can do funny things sometimes. I’m planning on going out to my usual spot tomorrow night. 

27 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Not sure it will be better then the epic showing in May when we had multiple X-class CMEs impact Earth. We shall see, space weather can do funny things sometimes. I’m planning on going out to my usual spot tomorrow night. 

Yeah it was two sets of “cannibal CMEs” doubt it’ll beat that but still should be a good show this weekend. Best case scenario is this first one which is weaker holds off on hitting the earth for another 16 hours. Then the stronger CME which is moving faster hits another 24 hours after the first so our magnetic field is weaker.

6 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

5 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Yeah it was two sets of “cannibal CMEs” doubt it’ll beat that but still should be a good show this weekend. Best case scenario is this first one which is weaker holds off on hitting the earth for another 16 hours. Then the stronger CME which is moving faster hits another 24 hours after the first so our magnetic field is weaker.

Aurora are always hard as the incoming data is very limited until they start but there are a lot of positives for this event.  The sunspot position and CME timing was basically perfect as it was directly earth facing when it occurred.  Plus there was a good CME with it that looks like it was directed at earth.  The event from a few days ago seems slower as nothing yet from it but it still possible tonight.  The coming event I would not predict it to beat the May one, but it definitely could as the May sunspot was not in very good position as it was about to rotate out of view the next day.  

This ranks as #15 in the top measure events using X-ray flux. 14 X-ray flux measured events greater than this one.  Most of them the CME's were not earth directed or only glancing blows at best. The ones more directed/Earth facing had CMEs that were mainly not directed toward Earth with one of them the CME was pretty weak.  Don't get me wrong some did produce good Aurora so I am not knock them.   I love this stuff!!

I am really look forward to it but know to keep tempered expectation with Aurora ;)  

• 100% 1

Most of the week was pleasant, nice sunny fall vibes with very gradual decrease in temps. Happy with us getting very little rain since Aug, some day recently it was less than 3mm; dried up fast. I can't remember the last time I heard rain on the roof, its been so light and brief. Sun I'm suppose to get a t-storm (me thinks Nov/Dec will be turbulent) on Sunday with 8mm of precip - hope it all misses me or fizzles. It did today; just some clouds mid-day.