Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Rocktober Obs/DISCO

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sandy was tropical or at least sub tropical, but that’s an argument for another day.

There was so much BS with that(hybrid etc), who the hell knows.  I guess my point was it wasn’t a Hurricane.  

But we’re due for something like a bonafide Cane at some point in the not to distant future. 

the correction vectoring is pointed away from colder wrt the operational models bullying in the polar jet and driving that scale/degree of cool down from the lakes to ne region over the weekend into early next week.

but we'll see.   anomalies, relative to the bigger anomaly, is really what 'weather' is.  in this case, the larger canvas/hemispheric signal is a whopper heat one.   the operational runs are trying to lean into it and argue ... if they succeed, it would be a cold anomaly inside a larger/longer period warm one.  

but i am seeing a subtle backing off the operational gfs wrt to saturday mornings cold frontal potency and the amount of caa that floods in during the afternoon.  06z came back about a smidge but not enough to abase the lessening trend with that trough and it's cold insert that's apparent in that particular guidance source, overall.   that's just one example of what i expect when seeing troughs attempting to cut into a baseline that does not support that behavior - that being a very strong aa/pac signal --> -pnap implication/amplitude, underneath positive polar field indices.   in fact, bigger ridge and lifting the westerlies n is actually more supported than what the overnight operational runs looked like.

25 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

There was so much BS with that(hybrid etc), who the hell knows.  I guess my point was it wasn’t a Hurricane.  

But we’re due for something like a bonafide Cane at some point in the not to distant future. 

Those three storms caused billions of damage and lots of deaths. No thanks. 

Isaias hit as a TS but it wreaked havoc with gusts into the 80s in populated sections of Long Island. Very underrated and impactful storm down here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Those three storms caused billions of damage and lots of deaths. No thanks. 

Isaias hit as a TS but it wreaked havoc with gusts into the 80s in populated sections of Long Island. Very underrated and impactful storm down here

Ya Isias was decent here too…you guys got it a lot worse then inland up here, but it gusted into the 60’s here. Caused alot of power outages here in CT…most ever I think.   Imagine what a good bonafide Cat 2 would do though…

12 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya Isias was decent here too…you guys got it a lot worse then inland up here, but it gusted into the 60’s here. Caused alot of power outages here in CT…most ever I think.   Imagine what a good bonafide Cat 2 would do though…

That’s the thing, a strong Cat 1 to Cat 3 would do significant tree damage in New England and frankly people are not prepared for the most part to be without power for more than a day.

My time living in S FL most people had hurricane supply kits and the state offered 2 tax free weekends before and during Hurricane season to help with planning. 

• Like 2

Finally the pest people are coming Thursday. This is getting outrageous with the spiders...they're running rampant everywhere. That massive wolf spider outside the other day, the one that was in my coffee filters, a few weeks back I had a spider crawl on my phone while I was watching stuff in bed, a few days after that one was running at me on the sheets, there were two in the office room the other day and I can't find them, and there is this tiny one on the ceiling and it looks like its humping the ceiling. Looks like one of those tiny jumping ones though I hope its not a baby wolf spider. They better spray every square inch of the house, both inside and outside. Don't care if we have to stay somewhere overnight. 

• Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Finally the pest people are coming Thursday. This is getting outrageous with the spiders...they're running rampant everywhere. That massive wolf spider outside the other day, the one that was in my coffee filters, a few weeks back I had a spider crawl on my phone while I was watching stuff in bed, a few days after that one was running at me on the sheets, there were two in the office room the other day and I can't find them, and there is this tiny one on the ceiling and it looks like its humping the ceiling. Looks like one of those tiny jumping ones though I hope its not a baby wolf spider. They better spray every square inch of the house, both inside and outside. Don't care if we have to stay somewhere overnight. 

My friend found a wolf spider in her house this morning and she was ready to torch the whole place just to get rid of it 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

My friend found a wolf spider in her house this morning and she was ready to torch the whole place just to get rid of it 

I'm nervous one of those suckers is going to find its way inside. These things are getting massive too. My friend thinks the one I saw the other day may have been pregnant given its size. When I opened the garage door moments later, I saw another one at the bottom of the door, though its possible it may have been the same one. My friend finding a black widow in his apartment has me a bit creeped out. There is no doubt in my mind those types of spider are migrating northwards. If it's happening with ticks and other insects then its absolutely happening with spiders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Today I don’t care about November, winter sucking (or not), hurricanes etc. this is one of the nicest stretches of October weather I’ve ever experienced, just trying to enjoy it 

d6e479b6a05cc7945809d615d59258a3.jpg

That’s exactly how we look at this,  and we enjoy it.  It’s outstanding to say the least. 

• 100% 1

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Today I don’t care about November, winter sucking (or not), hurricanes etc. this is one of the nicest stretches of October weather I’ve ever experienced, just trying to enjoy it 

d6e479b6a05cc7945809d615d59258a3.jpg

This....Live in the present, instead of worrying about the future.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm nervous one of those suckers is going to find its way inside. These things are getting massive too. My friend thinks the one I saw the other day may have been pregnant given its size. When I opened the garage door moments later, I saw another one at the bottom of the door, though its possible it may have been the same one. My friend finding a black widow in his apartment has me a bit creeped out. There is no doubt in my mind those types of spider are migrating northwards. If it's happening with ticks and other insects then its absolutely happening with spiders. 

I’ve definitely heard of black widow sightings all the way into MA but they still seem to be rare. I guess one good thing about them is that they’re not an aggressive spider and most times their bites are dry as they like to conserve their venom for their prey. But since we know you don’t want to get that close in the first place it’s a moot point. And to be perfectly honest I don’t want to live with any either 

3 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I’ve definitely heard of black widow sightings all the way into MA but they still seem to be rare. I guess one good thing about them is that they’re not an aggressive spider and most times their bites are dry as they like to conserve their venom for their prey. But since we know you don’t want to get that close in the first place it’s a moot point. And to be perfectly honest I don’t want to live with any either 

Not sure what their multiplication rate is but I could envision their population growing quickly in the Northeast. Once they get some nests established, boom it's off to the races. I don't like to take my chances with the "they don't bother you if you don't bother them stuff". I think that is a bunch of voodoo. Just like with bees, "if you don't bother them or swat at them they won't sting you". BULL**** that's a bunch of BS. Every time I've been stung by bees I wasn't doing anything except standing there. When I got stung by white faced hornets that was because I put my hand into a bush trying to get a frisbee not knowing there was a nest. But I've swatted and ran away from bees thousands of times and have never been stung once doing that. 

Spiders like to bite people in their sleep for some reason so don't need them crawling into bed, biting, and then running away. I also hope we don't start seeing cross breeding between spiders and get some new species that is extremely dangerous and aggressive. 

20 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

From what I remember, the recluse/black widows that make it over here are generally stowaways in cargo, etc.

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Not sure what their multiplication rate is but I could envision their population growing quickly in the Northeast. Once they get some nests established, boom it's off to the races. I don't like to take my chances with the "they don't bother you if you don't bother them stuff". I think that is a bunch of voodoo. Just like with bees, "if you don't bother them or swat at them they won't sting you". BULL**** that's a bunch of BS. Every time I've been stung by bees I wasn't doing anything except standing there. When I got stung by white faced hornets that was because I put my hand into a bush trying to get a frisbee not knowing there was a nest. But I've swatted and ran away from bees thousands of times and have never been stung once doing that. 

Spiders like to bite people in their sleep for some reason so don't need them crawling into bed, biting, and then running away. I also hope we don't start seeing cross breeding between spiders and get some new species that is extremely dangerous and aggressive. 

Avoid Australia. They have a species called the Huntsman and it’s as big as a humans fist. Not venomous to humans thank GOD but even to see one up close would put almost anyone into a panic. About 25 years ago I saw one up close on the wall of someone’s bedroom waking up one morning and I still get the hebee jeebies remembering it 

6 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

From what I remember, the recluse/black widows that make it over here are generally stowaways in cargo, etc.

I’ve never had that experience thank God but I guess over the years there have been sightings in the Berkshires (supposedly) among others. 

21 hours ago, dendrite said:

BDL 86R (prev 82)
BOS 83R (prev 82)
MHT 82R (prev 77)
PVD 81R (tied)
CON 80 (record 81)
ORH 79 (record 80)
PWM 78R (prev 75)
AUG 75R (tied)

The CLIMOD site shows PWM at 79 on both 10/20 & 21 - 1947 for the 20th and 1920 for the 21st.   ???