Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Rocktober Obs/DISCO

40/70 Benchmark

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Amazing how far ahead trees are. All species. 2+ weeks ahead at least 

Near peak here, maybe a week early.  A bit of reds, too, as the trees near the house usually are all yellows.

Despite last month being way BN for rain, the year is still 6.5" AN.

Edit:  Looks like we finally get a frost next week, about 3 weeks later than average.

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Near peak here, maybe a week early.  A bit of reds, too, as the trees near the house usually are all yellows.

Despite last month being way BN for rain, the year is still 6.5" AN.

Edit:  Looks like we finally get a frost next week, about 3 weeks later than average.

The only reds I see in my area are from Sumac, everything else is yellow and brownish yellow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That October 4th snowstorm….  I was only a few years old but have a couple photos of my sister and I in the Albany suburbs playing in the snow in the road while almost every tree branch is on the ground.

IMG_0865.thumb.jpeg.14ac0ab58b39006d7ac83aff2aba3852.jpeg

Only rain in Gardiner where we then were living.  In 12 Octobers the only measurable events were 1.8" on 8-9, 1988 and 0.5" on 31, 1993.  I do recall seeing 1987 tree damage in Dutchess County NY as we drove south for Thanksgiving with family.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That October 4th snowstorm….  I was only a few years old but have a couple photos of my sister and I in the Albany suburbs playing in the snow in the road while almost every tree branch is on the ground.

IMG_0865.thumb.jpeg.14ac0ab58b39006d7ac83aff2aba3852.jpeg

interesting ...

it would be about 14 years again until a real october snow either would or chance take place in the general ne ... and since, about 1/2 the years in the last 22 of them have carried that as an at minimum threat if not realization.

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

We had peeps last week saying no frost til December in SNE.  I threw out a bet, challenging that,  but had no takers.  

Looks like 30's for a few nights, Hubby and Pete down there will see some frost, Next week here, Probably some freezes up north too.

still thinking frost or near frost mid week, but we may regress back to a warm up thereafter ...

it's difficult with conflicting upstream signals but the wpo/epo is warm mid month and the ao/nao are creeping positive... yet the pna is stubbornly positive.   not sure how that's going force the dailies - the wave lengths aren't quite long yet. 

it's interesting that we're seeing those cold meanders though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

still thinking frost or near frost mid week, but we may regress back to a warm up thereafter ...

it's difficult with conflicting upstream signals but the wpo/epo is warm mid month and the ao/nao are creeping positive... yet the pna is stubbornly positive.   not sure how that's going force the dailies - the wave lengths aren't quite long yet. 

it's interesting that we're seeing those cold meanders though. 

And yet still no rain in sight . 384 hours on GFS of bore