• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Rocktober Obs/DISCO

40/70 Benchmark

..we were softly kissed by a frost two nights ago when we pinged 34 and a half for a low, but this morning is for real. Cold enough to even observed that still air cold shock leaf fall, a phenomenon owing to expansion of phase change in leaf stems fracturing - assuming so.  usually kicks in around 30.  i've seen late trees offload almost half their previous afternoon color in a single morning down to 19 before.   it's a neat albeit nerdy observation i like to look for every autumn

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

28 we freeze  time to gather all the veggies left

i think "28 freeze" must be a rough or average because it froze here at 29.  no question.  it was 34 by midnight, and we were car-topped and glistening by 10.  the graphs at the local sites all indicated several hours below 32 - it seems if we're spending multiple hours at 29 it's getting the job done. heh, morning nit pick

last night was a classic radiational cold manufacturing, and yes ...it favors lower elevations. 

it probably floored somewhere 35 to 40 along any ridge or hill elevation that is adjacent to a cold air drainage sloping down to dales and nadirs in elevation.   if you get out in the middle of plateau-like region, farther removed from a gravity well than there was probably a shallow decoupled pool of 32ies ... but by and large, these mornings don't freeze 10 year old tongues to flag poles around 1,000 feet.

the preceding is a description designed specifically for Raymond -

welp ...now that winter's come and gone ... we turn the page into spring starting tomorrow.  annnd as usual around here, we only get spring for one afternoon before the heat of summer bullies in.  

oh wait -

actually, i'm rather impressed that there's no back dooring from sunday to next tue/wed.   you can kind of see a paltry attempt to buckle/confluent the flow a little over ontario, but it the total mechanics are too longitudinal so it ends up just being a weaker air mass change.  we'll see. but that's a nice extended period of out doorsy days persisting in the guidance - it's impressive how long this has been a stable look in the models.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

This is why I hate frost advisories. It is so difficult to know exactly when frost will form. 

I vote hard freeze at 28 and be done with it.

No doubter this morning, 26° with thick frost and a 1/16" skim on the water in the washtub.  Almost time to empty the thing and store it.  Saw 23 at IZG.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Shorts and naughty nurse costumes for Halloween. Looks warm.

Face paintings running off foreheads and cheeks while frustratingly scrambling through treat bags to salvage melted candy. Meanwhile an angry wolf in Southington attempts to trick treaters into believing the weather is normal. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

welp ...now that winter's come and gone ... we turn the page into spring starting tomorrow.  annnd as usual around here, we only get spring for one afternoon before the heat of summer bullies in.  

oh wait -

actually, i'm rather impressed that there's no back dooring from sunday to next tue/wed.   you can kind of see a paltry attempt to buckle/confluent the flow a little over ontario, but it the total mechanics are too longitudinal so it ends up just being a weaker air mass change.  we'll see. but that's a nice extended period of out doorsy days persisting in the guidance - it's impressive how long this has been a stable look in the models.

Lolol... We can take this post to a whole other place.. but we will leave the back dooring be. I'm surprised Kev didn't jump.on this one..lol

Anyhoo... Looking forward to some warm days. We are taking a drive the Washington Depot Sunday to a Averill Farm. Should be a spectacular Leaf peeping ride their as well!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Face paintings running off foreheads and cheeks while frustratingly scrambling through treat bags to salvage melted candy. Meanwhile an angry wolf in Southington attempts to trick treaters into believing the weather is normal. 

Been a beautiful autumn so far.  Everything one would want. Sunny beautiful and comfortable days, Frosts and freezes, gorgeous color, and now Indian summer in a few days.  The weather is as it should be. We enjoy.  

• Like 3