Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Rocktober Obs/DISCO

40/70 Benchmark

52 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Hi 52 Lo 36 currently 50F 34 Dew

Drove down Kevin's way on Sunday after church on way to E Longmeadow from Southbridge. Gray day, but the colors were worthy of Vermont. Looked like it was peak. The maples were stunning. Earlier this year than the last several. Here in Clinton, maples are maxing out and oaks are starting to put on their colors (bright reds, oranges, and yellows for them). Again, seems early.

You notice how dull, muted it is  with browns / orange / scattered red? As bad as last year was , it’s worse this year. I drive all over NE and it’s a very down year . It is about peak now which is the earliest in many many years . Cleanup should be mainly clean a few weeks prior to Tgiving 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Crap 1
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You notice how dull, muted it is  with browns / orange / scattered red? As bad as last year was , it’s worse this year. I drive all over NE and it’s a very down year . It is about peak now which is the earliest in many many years . Cleanup should be mainly clean a few weeks prior to Tgiving 

I honestly don’t know what you’re seeing.  I gotta be honest Kev, it’s excellent in my town here, and getting better every day.  Maybe it sucks in other places? But here in the big valley of Southington, we have tons of color. it’s beautiful.  Maybe we have more red and orange maples than a lot of places? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not at all dull. It was beautiful. It was almost all country and small towns. Got up to almost 1200 feet in one place. Came down through Stafford Springs. Bright reds, organges, and yellows. Didn't notice any browns (other than some oaks). 

Its the same here in Clinton MA. We have a lot of oaks mixed it, so its like having two peaks--maples and others first then the oaks. They are all bright (including the oaks in their own quiet way).  You must be in a bad spot, or maybe its in how we tend to see things. I've seen some dull falls, but thisn't one of them IMHO.

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

1 hour ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Drove down Kevin's way on Sunday after church on way to E Longmeadow from Southbridge. Gray day, but the colors were worthy of Vermont. Looked like it was peak. The maples were stunning.

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You notice how dull, muted it is  with browns / orange / scattered red? As bad as last year was , it’s worse this year. 

This interaction is hilarious.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen Kev say it’s a good foliage year, there’s always something wrong.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Not at all dull. It was beautiful. It was almost all country and small towns. Got up to almost 1200 feet in one place. Came down through Stafford Springs. Bright reds, organges, and yellows. Didn't notice any browns (other than some oaks). 

Its the same here in Clinton MA. We have a lot of oaks mixed it, so its like having two peaks--maples and others first then the oaks. They are all bright (including the oaks in their own quiet way).  You must be in a bad spot, or maybe its in how we tend to see things. I've seen some dull falls, but thisn't one of them IMHO.

Hmmm .. not at all what I see but to each their own . I’ve been here since 2000.. and I’d say top 3 worst year foliage wise 

• Like 1

Must be dull where Kev is.  And if it is, then maybe that’s why he’s saying it’s dull?  But it isn’t dull here at all. And John Paul didn’t think so either.  It’s a very good year here foliage wise…and we have a few more days I’d say before we at real peak.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

3 years ago was great . The last two no 

Kev .. is it that different where you are in tolland? Over here in Plainville? The colors are really popping and looking great. My 11-year-old daughter was saying this morning how pretty the colors were looking. I don't know, it must be a matter of opinion

12 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Kev .. is it that different where you are in tolland? Over here in Plainville? The colors are really popping and looking great. My 11-year-old daughter was saying this morning how pretty the colors were looking. I don't know, it must be a matter of opinion

I travel around every day and I'll hit some areas with nice color and then drive through an area that's drabby looking. Not sure why its scattered like that.

16 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Plainville/Southington kicking foliage ass now…colors looking great. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Upslope machine is up and running.  Peaks could do well tonight.

Closing in on 4” today.  3” fell yesterday.

IMG_1041.thumb.jpeg.c3769d0e46fe9eaccee45825202af2ab.jpeg

My son went for a hike on Spruce Mt. in Plainfield today. It tops out just over 3000’. Was snowing there. 

75071164077__8AA8F7CC-46F2-4954-9192-9204A575DCB8.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My son went for a hike on Spruce Mt. in Plainfield today. It tops out just over 3000’. Was snowing there. 

Nice!  That's always exciting.

I posted that screen grab from Stowe 27 minutes ago and it's over 4" now.  That's 1-2"/hr.

It is cranking into Mansfield right now and the best upper level support is still back up in Montreal.  Wonder if the top gets blasted by like 8" tonight.

KCXX_loop.gif.1e683414abe2f5dd68154e9b41fffcad.gif

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

I honestly don’t know what you’re seeing.  I gotta be honest Kev, it’s excellent in my town here, and getting better every day.  Maybe it sucks in other places? But here in the big valley of Southington, we have tons of color. it’s beautiful.  Maybe we have more red and orange maples than a lot of places? 

I agree.  I drove to Great Barrington on Sunday, and the foliage from about Seymour to Litchfield was excellent.  Maybe a bit past peak north of that.  Must be a WOTR thing.

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

5 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

I agree.  I drove to Great Barrington on Sunday, and the foliage from about Seymour to Litchfield was excellent.  Maybe a bit past peak north of that.  Must be a WOTR thing.

Yup. It’s great over here west of the river.  I mean maybe it sucks where Kevin lives? If so, then maybe that’s what he means.  But it doesn’t suck West of Hartford that’s for sure. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice!  That's always exciting.

I posted that screen grab from Stowe 27 minutes ago and it's over 4" now.  That's 1-2"/hr.

It is cranking into Mansfield right now and the best upper level support is still back up in Montreal.  Wonder if the top gets blasted by like 8" tonight.

KCXX_loop.gif.1e683414abe2f5dd68154e9b41fffcad.gif

What a start. Very nice. 

32 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What a start. Very nice. 

It’ll all be gone in a couple days, definitely by the weekend.  But October snows never stick around, even up at the picnic tables.

A couple of you have said it, but nice to see things happening when they should, high elevation snows in October.  At least a couple good troughs getting through the forcefield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Upslope machine is up and running.  Peaks could do well tonight.

Closing in on 4” today.  3” fell yesterday.

IMG_1041.thumb.jpeg.c3769d0e46fe9eaccee45825202af2ab.jpeg

Fair amount of white rain on the high ground of 89 in MReeve-land  (Barre to Randolph)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

drove much of Massachusetts today and the colors were stunning.  Springfield to Bridgewater to Boston to Burlington and back.  Peaking along I-90 and I-495 today

down to 39F here  

Yup…we tried to tell ‘em that it would turn out very nice for a vast majority in SNE.  You just had to wait and let the color come, and mature/peak like it is currently. 

Closing in on 6” (5.5”) today at 3,000ft.  3” in the last 2 hours.  The clock is wrong by three hours, ha, but the image is current.  Storm total would be 9”.
IMG_1050.jpeg.b0e3f42e61e25140a8e3f4e3daad5f49.jpeg

Mansfield looks like the bullseye tonight. I’m in jersey, but looking at the cams in my yard, I’d guess an inch or two of glop at 1900’. Very much elevation dependent, as you would expect in October. Definitely some nice marketing material for Stowe and Jay tmrw morning. Looks like good snow for several more hours.

• Like 1