Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Rocktober Obs/DISCO

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Does anyone know what the all-time lowest pressure in an extra-tropical cyclone was?

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_52.png

I've seen 27.9 in the Aleutians.  For the lower 48, it might be the OV bomb of Jan. 1978.  Lowest I've seen in Maine was 857 mb at CAR during the SE gale of Feb 2, 1976 (just before their temp plunged from 49 to -7 in 8-9 hours, with gusts 50+).

At 11:15 last night our temp was 36 under bright stars and a frost/freeze seemed inevitable.  Then clouds rolled in and brought a 60-second downpour (0.02") about 5 AM followed by fog, and the low was 34.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

And so it begins. We move on and look forward to the longer nights and cooler days. 

Nice invigorating morning… getting first look at actual snow put a little hop in my step.  Love the warm sunny days but still get that child-like feeling of “wow, that’s actually real snow” :lol:.

Its melting rapidly at 3,600ft.  Raining off the roof of the Cliff House.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

at this range ... your d5 amplitude rob back amount is about 10 .. 15%, so you have to cut your current d-drip with at least that much ... lowering the dose potency

heh

Remove a little bit of the drip each day until there’s zero precip and it’s sunny.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Remove a little bit of the drip each day until there’s zero precip and it’s sunny.

yeha. 

i dunno if it's that much but it's an oscillatory pattern at most to me.  i get the humor

whether y'all up there in nne can cap a few of those, what new england calls mountains, higher hills that happen to have rocky outcroppings ..., with white.  perhaps.  but it's all quick rollout air masses replaced with dwarf indian summer afternoons before the next one - one that was also a big testacle once at day 6   round and round we go

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeha. 

i dunno if it's that much but it's an oscillatory pattern at most to me.  i get the humor

whether y'all up there in nne can cap a few of those, what new england calls mountains, higher hills that happen to have rocky outcroppings ..., with white.  perhaps.  but it's all quick rollout air masses replaced with dwarf indian summer afternoons before the next one - one that was also a big testacle once at day 6   round and round we go

Well that's certainly a way to shit in the cornflakes of anyone excited about the first NE flakes of the season.  Though Jay had something frozen fall for about 30 seconds a few weeks ago at 3500 feet.  If anything, it's pretty much right on schedule.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Well that's certainly a way to shit in the cornflakes of anyone excited about the first NE flakes of the season.  Though Jay had something frozen fall for about 30 seconds a few weeks ago at 3500 feet.  If anything, it's pretty much right on schedule.

Yup…we transition.  Progressing nicely.  Looking and feeling like autumn should. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

No, in case they they were thinking sig snow event … but 

2ndly, the tone was commiseration in the spirit of ‘what could go wrong’. Sarcasm 

No, in case they they were thinking sig snow event … but 
2ndly, the tone was commiseration in the spirit of ‘what could go wrong’. Sarcasm 

Yeah, I got it. Wasn’t a shot at you…or anyone. Just the general sentiment of late that everything sucks and there’s no reason to be excited about cold or snow anymore because it’ll inevitably suck somehow, because it’s always hot and everything sucks, because, you know, it just sucks…that’s been beaten into us after a few crappy winters. Just trying to remember what that feeling of transitioning into cold/snow season was like as a kid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Crap 1

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Yeah, I got it. Wasn’t a shot at you…or anyone. Just the general sentiment of late that everything sucks and there’s no reason to be excited about cold or snow anymore because it’ll inevitably suck somehow, because it’s always hot and everything sucks, because, you know, it just sucks…that’s been beaten into us after a few crappy winters. Just trying to remember what that feeling of transitioning into cold/snow season was like as a kid.

Good post. You gotta be able to see past the hyperbolic crap(which you seem to be able to do).  Been a great 6-8 weeks.  And Autumn this year is feeling ..well, like autumn. 

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

But it has not felt like…well, like autumn…at all, so far.

Where do you live? It’s felt like autumn here since it’s been autumn. Cool mornings and very dry and comfortable days…autumn in late September and early October.  In the 50’s currently…that’s big time autumn.  You’re funny. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I remember living in central NH and 2-4k peaks were white by early-mid October :/

Good chance of at least rimed peaks next day or so.

Ironically, despite the departures, today was the exact average/mean date of first snow on Mansfield.  October 9.

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

I remember living in central NH and 2-4k peaks were white by early-mid October :/

First flakes early/mid September…first coating early mid October. Not earth shattering, but a good (even if normal) start this year. There’s some decent cold in the next two weeks..and warmth too…maybe a normal, to just below normal month and no temp drama or dew talk?

• Like 2
  • 100% 1

9 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

And so it begins. We move on and look forward to the longer nights and cooler days. 

Indeed and hopefully many days of chilly wind swept rain mixed in with the occasional warm infusion from the south. Ah the winter of yore never fails to disappoint!

• Confused 1
  • Crap 1
  • 100% 1

3 hours ago, Snowedin said:

Indeed and hopefully many days of chilly wind swept rain mixed in with the occasional warm infusion from the south. Ah the winter of yore never fails to disappoint!

Hopefully an 18-36" banger mixed in over the years.  Otherwise it is rage-quit-the-hobby vibes

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1