Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Rocktober Obs/DISCO

40/70 Benchmark

weird pockets of cold air

54 in my drive way, and right around the corner about 4 tenths of a mile it's 68 ... looking around the region, these home sites stuck in the low 50s may not be wrong - 

it'll all homogenize at some point over the next couple of hours but for now that's annoying

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

@tamarackcan cite several huge burns in years like this 

But none in recent years.  The 1947 fires in Maine came in October, as did a 3,000-acre fire in NNJ 16 years later.  That latter event lasted for more than a month as fire burned underground in rocky land.  Earlier in 1963 almost 200,000 acres burned in the NJ pine barrens (a fire-type ecosystem) on a windy Saturday in April.  In 1977 Baxter Park saw a 3,000-acre fire following a blowdown 3 years before - gigantic fuel loading of highly seasoned wood.  Fire was able to burn downhill at night, a very rare phenomenon.
Since then, Maine has not seen a fire larger than 1,000 acres.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Obviously some bad data there but looks like a record for BDL with the 45.

network_CT_ASOS__zstation_BDL__v_largest__month_fall___r_t__dpi_100.png

10/18/01:  57/34

11/21/13:  47/17  At least one of the readings was correct.

Greatest duirnal range I've seen is 59° on Jan 11, 1980 in Fort Kent, middle day of a major see-saw:  10/-30; 38/-21; 44/4.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Greatest duirnal range I've seen is 59° on Jan 11, 1980 in Fort Kent, middle day of a major see-saw:  10/-30; 38/-21; 44/4.

Over in the NYC forum some places in NJ saw 50+ diurnal swings yesterday.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

So that 38 to -21 was during the afternoon?  Wow. 

Been wanting to do this for several years but figured now is the time before I get any older and have kids but I'm going to start the masters program at Mississippi State University online in Fall of 2025 :thumbsup: Just debating on whether I want to try and get it done in 2 years or draw it out longer. Anyways, pretty excited. The courses look super fun (just hopefully not crazy math intensive or heavily involving programming or I screwed :lol: )

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Been wanting to do this for several years but figured now is the time before I get any older and have kids but I'm going to start the masters program at Mississippi State University online in Fall of 2025 :thumbsup: Just debating on whether I want to try and get it done in 2 years or draw it out longer. Anyways, pretty excited. The courses look super fun (just hopefully not crazy math intensive or heavily involving programming or I screwed :lol: )

You did your GREs?

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

But none in recent years.  The 1947 fires in Maine came in October, as did a 3,000-acre fire in NNJ 16 years later.  That latter event lasted for more than a month as fire burned underground in rocky land.  Earlier in 1963 almost 200,000 acres burned in the NJ pine barrens (a fire-type ecosystem) on a windy Saturday in April.  In 1977 Baxter Park saw a 3,000-acre fire following a blowdown 3 years before - gigantic fuel loading of highly seasoned wood.  Fire was able to burn downhill at night, a very rare phenomenon.
Since then, Maine has not seen a fire larger than 1,000 acres.

I knew you’d know. You wondering this is the year with Steinbrenner running loose across the region 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh ok…thanks for the clarification. 

With the increase from what you had is a load to where you were 45 minutes ago, I think getting up to 80/82 is definitely doable. 

It sucks though...we have to look outside at all the brown leaves since there is no nice foliage to look at ... Lolol 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

Seems like every year follows a similar playbook for me. I start off thinking it’s dull or not great and then all of a sudden it like a switch is flipped and it’s brilliant. 

Yup, it’s easy to do at the start, but then when it matures, and comes into its own, it’s fantastic more often than not. This year is no exception to that idea in most places. 

• Crap 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

-21 in am to 38 pm. 

Right.  Low was in the pre-dawn before clouds began to arrive and the high was at my 9 PM obs time.  Afternoon was 15-20 with very light snow which changed to ZR/DZ in the evening, 0.5" frozen/0.05" LE.  High for Jan 12 was about midnight, RA to flurries 6 AM, 29 at 8 AM, 15 at 4 PM and 4 at obs time.  Winds NW 25-45.  Another 0.5" SN and 0.50" LE.  (All this is from written observations.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I knew you’d know. You wondering this is the year with Steinbrenner running loose across the region 

Not even close up here.  PWM had recorded only 2.11" from July 24 thru October 28.  It was their driest August since records began in 1920 and only the 0.26" on 10/29 kept that month from having only traces.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not even close up here.  PWM had recorded only 2.11" from July 24 thru October 28.  It was their driest August since records began in 1920 and only the 0.26" on 10/29 kept that month from having only traces.

By comparison, the past 90 days (roughly that timeframe) has seen 9-12 inches in and around PWM.