Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Rocktober Obs/DISCO

40/70 Benchmark

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Radiators mount up.

IDJ at 38F and TAN at 37F… while ORH at 47F is a healthy elevational gradient.

IMG_1115.gif.3cdf83622838f93944ea839f6424d88e.gif

Easy to see some non-radiators in Maine (AUG, FVE, CAR) - all hilltop APs.  Greenville (47) radiates well once the lake freezes but Moosehead's temp is probably mid 50s and a light NW air acts like a sea breeze.

15 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oddly, I have not seen a tick since early June.  The dog and I go out in the woods frequently.

In my experience, ticks seem to disappear in July and August, only to reappear in autumn - I've picked up a couple over the past 10 days but even the usually tick-y spring had relatively few.  The public lands peer review field trip is usually in August, and in 2019 the trip was in southern Maine - Newcastle, Swan Island (with its super abundant deer population), Hebron and Skowhegan.  There were about 40 of us on that 2-day excursion and AFAIK not one tick was seen.  In contrast, I was remeasuring growth plots on a state lot in Topsham, mid-October 2020, and picked up 26 deer ticks - was flicking them out the window as I drove up I-295.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I need to grow some late season ripening pawpaws at your place. You probably have one of the longest growing seasons in the region.

Such a crazy micro climate here . Radiators like their spots.. I like mine . Growing season has gotten later and later here since I moved . Though I do tend to get freezes pretty late in spring. Usually associated with some type of snow event 

Yesterday AM was in Sterling MA, parked next to and walked over a underground yellowjacket nest. Only saw them because the direct sun on the hole and their wings were glimmering.  It was 45F or so and the nest was as busy as LAX, like 3-4 in/out per second.  No idea why they didn't swarm or sting besides them being cold/less aggressive?  

Anyway yawntober continues, hopefully a few killer cutters soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That sounds like exactly where he’s supposed to be.  Don't disturb his leaves and he won’t come out, ha ha.

He needs to be away from the house. I have to call these pest people. I’m paying $50/month and they’re supposed to spray outside and inside to keep bugs out. They came once in July and haven’t seen them since. More bugs and spiders than ever. I want my money back. I just walked through a spider web in the basement, there was a spider in my coffee filters the other morning, and a spider in the bathroom. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

He needs to be away from the house. I have to call these pest people. I’m paying $50/month and they’re supposed to spray outside and inside to keep bugs out. They came once in July and haven’t seen them since. More bugs and spiders than ever. I want my money back. I just walked through a spider web in the basement, there was a spider in my coffee filters the other morning, and a spider in the bathroom. 

Do it yourself, get a sprayer and some Demon WP and do it once a month, cheaper and more reliable, stuff works great too.

• Thanks 1