Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn

6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Frost advisory 

Had a low temp of 44 here this morning.

Despite the advisory I'm not too worried about frost here tonight, since it's only supposed to get down to the upper 30s. Vegetable plants in the garden should be ok here, but I'd be a little more concerned if I was in northwest NJ. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah obviously it would be much worse in the summer, but it's still annoying for those of us that have gardens. Lots of watering needed as we move through the late part of the growing season. 

Don’t forget the reseeding from all the damage to the lawns from the summer. 

• 100% 1

With a low temperature of 49°, New York City saw its first temperature below 50° since May 13th this morning. Tomorrow morning will again see the temperature fall into the 40s. Saturday will turn briefly milder before cooler air returns Sunday or Monday. Another particularly strong cold shot is likely near mid-month before a potential warming trend develops.

In the Southwest and parts of California, near record and record heat continued continued to fade. The heat will dissipate by the weekend. Phoenix recorded its 17th consecutive record-tying or record-breaking high temperature. Tucson reached 100° for the 109th time this year, breaking the record of 108 days that was set in 2020.

The NAO fell to a preliminary -2.751 on September 24th (all-time September record: -2.371, September 12, 1971). That was the 9th lowest value on record. La Niña winters following September cases where the NAO fell to -1.900 or below featured a predominantly positive NAO. The most recent such winters were 2016-2017 and 2022-2023. The mean temperatures for those winters in New York City were 39.3° and 41.0° respectively. The 1991-2020 normal value is 36.2°. A warmer outcome is favored by the September run of the C3S multi-model forecast for Winter 2024-2025.

Weekly ENSO data remains unavailable due to the disruptive impact Hurricane Helene's floods had on NCEI in Asheville. The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.5°C for the week centered around September 18. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.20°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.18°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the fall.

The SOI was +7.09 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.926 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 56% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal October (1991-2020 normal). October will likely finish with a mean temperature near 58.4° (0.5° above normal).

11 hours ago, bluewave said:

Big temperature swing coming up. First frost in the forecast for some spots. Then we make a run on 80° over the weekend.

IMG_1512.thumb.png.f911c3fe457ec795c368ba5200127157.png
IMG_1513.thumb.png.9dca05ad16f55929c491246841ae707a.png

I know Saturday is mid 70s but im going to Rutgers football  game

Do we have a shot at Sunday being a beach day similar to last Saturday which was 73-74 at the shore. As long as its not an east win thats good enough for me

• Haha 1