• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni

Had a low temp of 34 here this morning. Close call, but no damage to the vegetable garden. I'm glad the growing season will continue for quite awhile here with the warm pattern settling in, but I wish we could get some rain. Crazy that we haven't had a drop of rain in October after getting very little rain in September, and still no rain in sight. 

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Had a low temp of 34 here this morning. Close call, but no damage to the vegetable garden. I'm glad the growing season will continue for quite awhile here with the warm pattern settling in, but I wish we could get some rain. Crazy that we haven't had a drop of rain in October after getting very little rain in September, and still no rain in sight. 

Question.  Can you still plant grass seed this time of year? I have a few brown patches and figured I could try since we have warm conditions coming up although I realize I'll have to water constantly 

12 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Question.  Can you still plant grass seed this time of year? I have a few brown patches and figured I could try since we have warm conditions coming up although I realize I'll have to water constantly 

Even with the warm pattern settling in, I think it's probably too late to plant grass. You typically want to plant grass seed a month and half before the first frost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Ok cool. Good to know

Agree with winterwx. It’s getting late now, but you can still get it done if you just have a few patches and time it right with the temps. The key is to get it germinated. I would cover the patches with burlap. It keeps the warmth and moisture in during the day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Agree with winterwx. It’s getting late now, but you can still get it done if you just have a few patches and time it right with the temps. The key is to get it germinated. I would cover the patches with burlap. It keeps the warmth and moisture in during the day. 

That's good information. I know it's risky planting this late because the seed might not have enough time to get established, but it does look warm the next 2 weeks and who knows about November. Maybe it won't get too cold in early to mid November. And unlike doing a whole lawn, it's not as big a deal if it doesn't work out if it's only a few patches. He might want to take a shot. 

14 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

That's good information. I know it's risky planting this late because the seed might not have enough time to get established, but it does look warm the next 2 weeks and who knows about November. Maybe it won't get too cold in early to mid November. And unlike doing a whole lawn, it's not as big a deal if it doesn't work out if it's only a few patches. He might want to take a shot. 

Right. It's not a big deal either way. It's only like a 2'x2' patch that I was going to try it on and there's always next spring if it doesn't take 

• Like 2

Heading to the NJ forest service tomorrow to speak with our NJ FFS officers on the late season fire dangers - It's a busy season for state parks for camping this time of year and there are many restrictions now in place with open fires. If you know anyone heading out camping or hiking, let them know the risk is unusually high for October. We've had a series of fires down in Burlington County this week. 

• Like 2

I have no expectations for this winter with everything I’ve read so far. Just hoping we can capitalize on whatever chances we may be fortunate enough to have, like last year. 

That’s probably all we can ask, seems like winter is starting early this year. And by winter I mean a couple days of cool weather followed by a week+ of ridging. 

We have been getting a sample of the San Diego average fall rainfall pattern last few months without having to get on a plane. 

Monthly Total Precipitation for San Diego Area, CA (ThreadEx)
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Mean 0.30 0.23 0.53
2024 0.02 0.00 0.02
2023 0.05 0.01 0.06
2022 0.65 0.09 0.74
2021 0.50 1.01 1.51
2020 0.00 0.12 0.12
2019 0.11 0.00 0.11
2018 T 0.57 0.57
2017 0.08 T 0.08
2016 0.32 0.07 0.39
2015 1.24 0.43 1.67

Time Series Summary for ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
1 2024-10-16 0.34 0
2 1982-10-16 1.43 0
3 1973-10-16 1.88 0
- 1967-10-16 1.88 0
  • Like 1

A warming trend is imminent. Under bright sunshine, the mercury wil rise into the lower and middle 60s tomorrow. The warming trend will then continue through the weekend and into early next week. With a PNA-/AO+ pattern now developing, an above normal temperature regime could last into the closing days of October.

Precipitation in the northern Mid-Atlantic region will likely remain below to much below normal into at least the fourth week of October. The ECMWF ensembles, along with the experimental AIFS and FuXi AI versions continue to show very little precipitation. There is a possibility that October 2024 could see less than 1.00" monthly rainfall in New York City for the first October since 2013 and that Philadelphia could see its second consecutive October with less than 1.00" of rain. As a result, D0 and D1 conditions will likely continue to expand in the region and the pocket of D2 conditions in southern New Jersey will likely grow.

The NAO fell to a preliminary -2.751 on September 24th (all-time September record: -2.371, September 12, 1971). That was the 9th lowest value on record. La Niña winters following September cases where the NAO fell to -1.900 or below featured a predominantly positive NAO. The most recent such winters were 2016-2017 and 2022-2023. The mean temperatures for those winters in New York City were 39.3° and 41.0° respectively. The 1991-2020 normal value is 36.2°. A warmer outcome is favored by the October run of the C3S multi-model forecast for Winter 2024-2025.

Weekly ENSO data remains unavailable due to the disruptive impact Hurricane Helene's floods had on NCEI in Asheville. The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.5°C for the week centered around September 18. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.20°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.18°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the fall.

The SOI was -10.83 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.364 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 74% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal October (1991-2020 normal). October will likely finish with a mean temperature near 59.6° (1.7° above normal).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Right. It's not a big deal either way. It's only like a 2'x2' patch that I was going to try it on and there's always next spring if it doesn't take 

Id wait until Spring or next August. Ideally you want 10 weeks before frosts to get adequate deep root growth otherwise you are asking for a patch that grows a little this year but is susceptible to disease and drought stress next year. I’ve learned the hard way and started my renovations this year in mid August because of it. The reno areas look great compared to the semi crispy “old grass” areas. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Made it down to 38. Really seemed to vary quite a bit the past couple days with pockets of sharp radiative cooling and then areas where it wasn’t as much as you’d think. 

Stayed windy all night. Thought we would get a frost last two nights but didn’t even drop below 40 due to the wind. 

• Like 1