Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Hurricane Helene Banter

Windspeed

19 hours ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

What Ryan, and more importantly Andy, do for the weather community (and those just interested peripherally or happen to be affected in the moment and need knowledge/help they can trust) is amazing. 

Just my .02 - I know you were just pointing something out but I had wanted to mention this during the storm and forgot. 

One thing Ryan does that I think local TV stations should copy is the way he gives out a location and future path of a tornado.  Local news  usually uses highway numbers and street names.  You would be amazed at how many people know them name of the street they live on and that’s about it. It isn’t helpful for them if you say the tornado is moving across Highway 43 and will soon intersect Franklin St. 

Ryan does say the same thing but then quickly follows it with, the tornado is about to move over Billy Bob’s car lot on Highway 43 and is headed toward the Walmart on Franklin St.. If you are near that area take cover now.

• Like 5
  • 100% 1

3 minutes ago, jburns said:

One thing Ryan does that I think local TV stations should copy is the way he gives out a location and future path of a tornado.  Local news  usually uses highway numbers and street names.  You would be amazed at how many people know them name of the street they live on and that’s about it. It isn’t helpful for them if you say the tornado is moving across Highway 43 and will soon intersect Franklin St. 

Ryan does say the same thing but then quickly follows it with, the tornado is about to move over Billy Bob’s car lot on Highway 43 and is headed toward the Walmart on Franklin St.. If you are near that area take cover now.

This deserves two reactions, lol & agree.

• Like 2
  • 100% 1

39 minutes ago, jburns said:

Yes exactly. I love that - I guess between him and Andy someone has Google street view or something overlaid and they are calling out local landmarks. You’re right there are so many people that only know their street name and everything else is “turn right after the DQ, 3 streets down make a left after the church next to the school”. It’s me. I’m people. I only function off landmarks so I’m so thankful they do that for people. 

I also appreciate that it’s just fully aggregated all in one place. If there’s a system spanning 4 states, they’re calling out every single individual severe instance and it really is impressive. Especially when Andy is calling out storms that get missed with the severe warn or tor warn on it. 

And I appreciate  that they have so many resources around, so many boots on ground to go to. 

I also appreciate that the aftermath is aggregated. 

I just really appreciate the work they put into it and the untold lives they ultimately save because of it. When I first stumbled across them I was worried it would be sensationalist journalism at its best and I’m so happy to say I was wrong. 

• 100% 1

I have family in some of the mountainous areas in western NC, and I am relieved to report that they are ok. They just got service back yesterday, and their town was mostly spared.

Most of the areas hardest hit still don’t have reliable cell service, and I hope all who are waiting for a phonecall from friends & family receive it soon.

I saw a Google doc with local resources posted here for Asheville and surrounding areas, and have shared it with as many friends/family in NC as possible. Big thank you to all on this forum who continue to look out for those impacted. Even something as simple as a google doc has the potential to impact many lives for the better.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Josh said *in his opinion* the eyewall of cat 1 Krathon was more severe than the eyewall of cat 4 Helene 

In my opinion, the hundreds dead and thousands of people suffering from this storm don't give a f@&k

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1
  • 100% 4

Helene never really closed off completely keeping the winds from mixing down as much.

Helene's vortex was closed. The western eyewall was clearly weaker with broken convection and rapid rate of forward motion; however, Helene's eye was clear and warm. I do not doubt the in situ recon data that supported Category 4 intensity. The issues here are 1) A lopsided major hurricane at landfall; 2) The peak winds were localized to the eastern and southeastern quadrants based on storm motion and recon; 3) The storm chasers settled on Perry based on best guess to sample the center of eye. I believe Josh was just west of Perry. But this location would have been missed by Helene's worst winds that were off to the east and southeast.

There's not much else to do here but speculate since the location was within a marshland reserve and forested area.

Would have been the SE quadrant based on storm motion, most likely the ESE inner edge of eyewall band, when it had its most intense echoes while intersecting the shoreline. This flow coming off the north side of Deadman Bay. This would have been just NW of Steinhatchee within the Big Bend Wildlife Management Area. Nobody was there to record or document it, of course, unless they were recording on the back end route, Beach Road. At least that we yet know about.

1aba0afa309b2c757ff0ba286c8b45fb.jpg
a5e7a08a759dea3e2103a718a5d7aa21.jpg
  • Like 3
  • 100% 1

@Windspeed is correct.  This storm was exceptionally assymetrical.  To get big winds one simply has to be east of the center.  The Cat4 winds were absolutely there though at landfall.  The inland wind event does not occur if the cat 4 winds aren’t there at landfall 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Normandy said:

@Windspeed is correct.  This storm was exceptionally assymetrical.  To get big winds one simply has to be east of the center.  The Cat4 winds were absolutely there though at landfall.  The inland wind event does not occur if the cat 4 winds aren’t there at landfall 

I think that’s correct. And unfortunately there is a dearth of weather stations in that area—it looks like there’s no stations at all on the immediate coast between St. Mark’s and Cedar Key. 

17 minutes ago, gallopinggertie said:

I think that’s correct. And unfortunately there is a dearth of weather stations in that area—it looks like there’s no stations at all on the immediate coast between St. Mark’s and Cedar Key. 

This was a silver lining of this horrible storm since relatively few homes/people were directly impacted by those horrific 140 mph winds. The lack of wx data where those very high winds occurred is a very small price to pay in comparison, of course. I’d think just about any empathetic person would take that every time besides the folks living there.

The faster the speed of movement for a given strength of storm, the lower the winds on the weaker side typically.

• Like 4
  • 100% 2

My comment (in the banter thread) was ABSOLUTELY not made to mitigate the worst hurricane in my states history in ANY way. It produced hurricane force gusts to Charleston and Indiana. I’m working in the upstate right now and I am fully aware of the devastation here and elsewhere. I am simply saying, I haven’t seen video or pictures of any high end wind damage on the Florida coast. It’s all surge. I wonder if convection falling apart on NE side of eye as it made landfall lent to max winds not making it to surface at landfall. That’s it. That’s all I’m saying. Steinhatchee was in the band and took terrible surge but I still haven’t see much high end wind damage from even there. As the storm moved inland, those winds meant literally zero, zilch, nada for the winds that occurred inland as the hurricane for wind field was massive. If cat 4 winds only occurred in a 1/2 mile band in a marsh it makes zero impact of the massive size of the storm. It is strange to have SUCH a lopsided cat 4 with areas in the western eyewall not even getting hurricane force gusts and supposedly 140 mph wind on the SE side. Once again, I am not mitigating the storm, this was posted in banter, as it is unusual for a storm of this intensity and size to have so little non surge damage in the impact zones along the coast

• Like 1