Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

9 hours ago, HWY316wx said:

Maybe someone on here can answer this without ripping me a new butt hole.  But, I have looked at all the operation models.  GFS, EURO, NAM, HRRR, HWRF... you name it.  They for the most part have the LPS coming on shore in the Big Bend area and then moving on a line to about Tifton, GA and then depending on the model, the next frame looks to be Macon, or Gainesville or Athens, GA.   I say this to say... the NWS cone and projected line is WEST of Atlanta.  The models seem to take a line East of Atlanta.  Why?  What am I missing?  Somebody straighten me out.

WED Cone.jpg

WED_GFS.png

WED_EURO.png

WED_HWRF.png

316, maybe the GFS and Euro are gonna be right.....

000 WTNT44 KNHC 260852 TCDAT4 Hurricane Helene Discussion Number 12

NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092024 400 AM CDT Thu Sep 26 2024

Helene is sending some mixed structural signals this morning. On one side, an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft reports that the central pressure has fallen to near 966 mb, and satellite imagery shows the eye is trying to clear out. On another side, the aircraft reported concentric eyewalls of 16 and 32 n mi diameter, with the maximum flight-level winds, 80 kt at 700 mb, occurring about 50 n mi southeast of the center likely in relation to the outer eyewall. Based on the central pressure fall and the available data, the initial intensity is increased to 80 kt. The hurricane is starting its expected turn toward the north-northeast, with the initial motion now 015/10. The hurricane should accelerate north-northeastward during the next 24 h or so in the flow between a ridge over the Atlantic and a deep-layer baroclinic trough/cut-off low over the Tennessee Valley. This motion should bring the center of Helene to the coast of the Florida Big Bend region Thursday evening or early Friday morning. After landfall, Helene should turn northward and northwestward around the northeast and north side of the Tennessee Valley system. After 48 h, what is left of Helene should make a cyclonic loop as it merges with the baroclinic system. The latest track guidance has nudged a little to the northeast, especially near 36 h, and the portion of the new forecast track over Georgia and Tennessee has been moved a bit to the east.

Hurricane Helene NHC Forecast Track 2024-09-26 1100z.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shack said:

316, maybe the GFS and Euro are gonna be right.....

000 WTNT44 KNHC 260852 TCDAT4 Hurricane Helene Discussion Number 12

NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092024 400 AM CDT Thu Sep 26 2024

Helene is sending some mixed structural signals this morning. On one side, an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft reports that the central pressure has fallen to near 966 mb, and satellite imagery shows the eye is trying to clear out. On another side, the aircraft reported concentric eyewalls of 16 and 32 n mi diameter, with the maximum flight-level winds, 80 kt at 700 mb, occurring about 50 n mi southeast of the center likely in relation to the outer eyewall. Based on the central pressure fall and the available data, the initial intensity is increased to 80 kt. The hurricane is starting its expected turn toward the north-northeast, with the initial motion now 015/10. The hurricane should accelerate north-northeastward during the next 24 h or so in the flow between a ridge over the Atlantic and a deep-layer baroclinic trough/cut-off low over the Tennessee Valley. This motion should bring the center of Helene to the coast of the Florida Big Bend region Thursday evening or early Friday morning. After landfall, Helene should turn northward and northwestward around the northeast and north side of the Tennessee Valley system. After 48 h, what is left of Helene should make a cyclonic loop as it merges with the baroclinic system. The latest track guidance has nudged a little to the northeast, especially near 36 h, and the portion of the new forecast track over Georgia and Tennessee has been moved a bit to the east.

Hurricane Helene NHC Forecast Track 2024-09-26 1100z.JPG

It’s definitely ticked east overnight in real time and on guidance. The caveat I didn’t mention last night in my response is that a big storm is likely to resist the tug as well regardless of strength, so I think we’re seeing that. 

We’re really in territory we haven’t been in for a while. I feel like we’ve been spoiled with tight compact storms for years and we finally have a large lumbering beast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Got another inch since midnight. Light rain now. Anybody got a rain gauge near Old Fort? Really curious on their totals. It trained on them all night.

I'm about 6 miles east of downtown Old Fort.  I picked up 2.61 inches since midnight. Total for the event for me 8.23 inches. 

• Thanks 1

There's already been a couple of tornado warnings for the Charlotte metro including Catawba (Hickory), Mecklenburg (Charlotte), and Gaston counties. This is without the Tornado Watch for the metro area counties. The long duration tornado watch is for the non-Charlotte metro South Carolina counties and Southeast Georgia. 

Tornado Watch 684

< Previous WW
  Public | Counties | Probabilities | Aviation | Warnings | Initial RADAR  
WW0684 Radar
Hazard Tornadoes EF2+ Tornadoes
Likelihood High Low
Severe Wind 65 kt+ Wind
Low Low
Severe Hail 2"+ Hail
Very Low Very Low

Note:  The expiration time in the watch graphic is amended if the watch is replaced, cancelled or extended.
Note: Click for Watch Status Reports.
   SEL4

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
   Tornado Watch Number 684
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   830 AM EDT Thu Sep 26 2024

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of 
     Eastern Georgia
     Central and Southern South Carolina
     Coastal Waters

* Effective this Thursday morning and evening from 830 AM until
     900 PM EDT.

* Primary threats include...
     Several tornadoes likely

SUMMARY...A long-duration and gradually increasing tornado threat
   will exist in association with the increasingly strong low-level
   winds on the northeast periphery of Hurricane Helene.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 70 statute miles
   east and west of a line from 35 miles south of Savannah GA to 30
   miles north of Columbia SC. For a complete depiction of the watch
   see the associated watch outline update (WOUS64 KWNS WOU4).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A Tornado Watch means conditions are favorable for
   tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch
   area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for
   threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements
   and possible warnings.

&&

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 683...

AVIATION...Tornadoes and a few severe thunderstorms with hail
   surface and aloft to 0 inches. Extreme turbulence and surface wind
   gusts to 60 knots. A few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 500. Mean
   storm motion vector 16025.

...Guyer
  • Like 1

• BooneWX changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene