Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

I called FEMA. 

-Since March, FEMA has been paying $750 for food losses from storms. Must be done within 30 days of storm. Has nothing to do with whether you have NFIP.

-For those in GA who are wondering, FEMA confirmed residents in certain counties in GA (including mine) can apply. 

-Fulton/Dekalb not on list (at least yet), but Richmond is as well as many others. You can still apply before your county is on list just in case it gets added later.

-For all states call 800-621-3362 or apply online at http://disasterassistance.gov/ and click on the red. On phone they’ll tell you if your county is on list.

- I think power had to be out 3 days but don’t hold me to that

-Supposedly most get the $750 if power was out long enough. It is all or nothing.

-If denied, can appeal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GaWx said:

I called FEMA. 

-Since March, FEMA has been paying $750 for food losses from storms. Must be done within 30 days of storm. Has nothing to do with whether you have NFIP.

-For those in GA who are wondering, FEMA confirmed residents in certain counties in GA (including mine) can apply. 

-Fulton/Dekalb not on list (at least yet), but Richmond is as well as many others. You can still apply before your county is on list just in case it gets added later.

-For all states call 800-621-3362 or apply online at http://disasterassistance.gov/ and click on the red. On phone they’ll tell you if your county is on list.

-Supposedly most get the $750 if power was out long enough. It is all or nothing.

-If denied, can appeal

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

I called FEMA. 

-If denied, can appeal

That's just for food losses. You can get more depending on how badly your property was affected. They break down damages into different criteria including flood damage. 

• Like 6

Just now, Daniel Boone said:

I watched a live independent news feed from NC this Morning and the Citizen's were saying Fema is not helping like the mainstream media is saying. They are actually stopping any Aid from Organizations. Saying they are to take care of everything. They are confiscating donated Items as well. This was actual Livestream Interviews. 

Not where I am. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

The YouTube channel is JR investigates. You can watch the recording ow..it was live this morning. Also, Illegals are still being given thousands upon thousands while Fema says they're going broke. Billions to Ukraine too. Anyone in the ravaged area ought to be outraged ! 

You mean this guy who's been charged with fraud?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Lee_Riches

• Like 5
  • 100% 2

4 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

I watched a live independent news feed from NC this Morning and the Citizen's were saying Fema is not helping like the mainstream media is saying. They are actually stopping any Aid from Organizations. Saying they are to take care of everything. They are confiscating donated Items as well. This was actual Livestream Interviews. 

There’s a ton of fake news circulating. I recommend you and others treat with skepticism anything like this that you hear/read until if and when it can be verified by credible, non-politically biased sources.

FEMA has per my Gov (Kemp) been very helpful. The FEMA rep I talked to was very helpful and completed my app.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • 100% 2

22 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Let's keep the conspiracy theories and lies out of here 

Hopefully this will convince believers that the conspiracy theories are fake news and keep the lies out of here like you requested. A conservative NC State Sen. is begging for folks to stop believing the junk:

North Carolina State Sen. Kevin Corbin (R) denounced what he described as “conspiracy theory junk” circulating about flooding in western North Carolina from Hurricane Helene, referring to allegations about the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) stealing money from donations, among several others.

“PLEASE help stop this junk. It is just a distraction to people trying to do their job. Folks, this is a catastrophic event of which this country has never known,”

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/lawmaker-on-helene-conspiracy-theories-please-help-stop-this-junk/amp/

@Daniel Boone

• Like 5

Government is gonna government. I’m just so impressed with the volunteer response. I’ve had several friends use their vacation time to bring equipment out west and clear roads and rebuild peoples driveways. Volunteers have flown daily missions since the storm passed delivering much needed supplies and evacuating stranded residents. People are literally driving from states away to help. It’s absolutely amazing the volunteer effort going into this storm recovery 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 100% 1

Hey y'all, wondering if I could get some help.  I normally only ever lurk here during winter to see if there's snow brewing... but am always disappointed because I live in the Triangle, and there's a snow dome over Raleigh.  :)  But figured I'd post today on the off chance that it might lead to something.  

Here's the deal.  I have family up in the mountains of Avery County, NC.  My sister volunteers for the Linville Rescue Squad.  It's an all-volunteer group and she has been doing search and rescue work with them for a few years.  They have been working around the clock since the hurricane hit and giving it their all.  My sister didn't even shower for like six days, has been sleeping on the floor, going without hot meals, hiking around the woods in Avery county doing search and rescue... you get the drift.  And the whole squad is just full of really decent people that are doing this, unpaid as usual. 

Anyway, randomly before Helene hit, the Rescue Squad got selected to be a finalist in this contest through Land Rover.  If they win, they could get a new vehicle and $25,000.  That's CRAZY money for a volunteer squad that usually exists off of community donations.

Here's the link to the rescue squad:

https://linville-centralrescue.org/

And to the contest:

https://www.landroverusa.com/experiences/events-and-sponsorships/defender-service-awards/vote/search-and-rescue.html

The only way they'll win is if people vote for them.  First, I'm hoping everyone here will vote.  But also -- I'm trying to get some more visibility for the contest through media outlets.  Like this is such an easy way for people to help out, just click and vote in this contest, no donation or anything -- and it could go such a long way to help these guys and the people they serve.  Think how much of financial and emotional impact it would have after everything they've been through.  So I'm sort of trying to be a one-man PR team to help them out. 

What would be amazing is if somebody like Brad Panovich or Ethan Clark could share this information on their facebook page since they have such a wide reach.  I think the North Carolina Weather Authority has like 568k followers on Facebook, Brad has 374k followers... you get my drift.  BIG reach.  Does anyone know these guys?  I tried to send them a facebook message, but I'm just a random person shouting from the void out of a million messages they're already receiving, and they probably thought I was just doing PR for Land Rover.  (Unfortunately it does have free PR for Land Rover but I don't care about that other than the squad will get a free vehicle!)

So anyway, if y'all have any connections, please consider helping out and pass this message along.  It's a really decent cause.  Many, many thanks.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, dogwoods said:

Hey y'all, wondering if I could get some help.  I normally only ever lurk here during winter to see if there's snow brewing... but am always disappointed because I live in the Triangle, and there's a snow dome over Raleigh.  :)  But figured I'd post today on the off chance that it might lead to something.  

Here's the deal.  I have family up in the mountains of Avery County, NC.  My sister volunteers for the Linville Rescue Squad.  It's an all-volunteer group and she has been doing search and rescue stuff work with them for a few years.  They have been working around the clock since the hurricane hit and giving it their all.  My sister didn't even shower for like six days, has been sleeping on the floor, going without hot meals, hiking around the woods in Avery county doing search and rescue... you get the drift.  And the whole squad is just full of really decent people that are doing this, unpaid as usual. 

Anyway, randomly before Helene hit, the Rescue Squad got selected to be a finalist in this contest through Land Rover.  If they win, they could get a new vehicle and $25,000.  That's CRAZY money for a volunteer squad that usually exists off of community donations.

And to the contest:

https://www.landroverusa.com/experiences/events-and-sponsorships/defender-service-awards/vote/search-and-rescue.html

The only way they'll win is if people vote for them.  First, I'm hoping everyone here will vote.  But also -- I'm trying to get some more visibility for the contest through media outlets.  Like this is such an easy way for people to help out, just click and vote in this contest, no donation or anything -- and it could go such a long way to help these guys and the people they serve.  Think how much of financial and emotional impact it would have after everything they've been through.  So I'm sort of trying to be a one-man PR team to help them out. 

What would be amazing is if somebody like Brad Panovich or Ethan Clark could share this information on their facebook page since they have such a wide reach.  I think the North Carolina Weather Authority has like 568k followers on Facebook, Brad has 374k followers... you get my drift.  BIG reach.  Does anyone know these guys?  I tried to send them a facebook message, but I'm just a random person shouting from the void out of a million messages they're already receiving, and they probably thought I was just doing PR for Land Rover.  (Unfortunately it does have free PR for Land Rover but I don't care about that other than the squad will get a free vehicle!)

So anyway, if y'all have any connections, please consider helping out and pass this message along.  It's a really decent cause.  Many, many thanks.  

I don’t have any connections unfortunately but I voted for Linville! Really hope they can pull it off!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dogwoods said:

Here's the deal.  I have family up in the mountains of Avery County, NC.  My sister volunteers for the Linville Rescue Squad.  It's an all-volunteer group and she has been doing search and rescue work with them for a few years.  They have been working around the clock since the hurricane hit and giving it their all.  My sister didn't even shower for like six days, has been sleeping on the floor, going without hot meals, hiking around the woods in Avery county doing search and rescue... you get the drift.  And the whole squad is just full of really decent people that are doing this, unpaid as usual. 

And to the contest:

Voted!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Government is gonna government. I’m just so impressed with the volunteer response. I’ve had several friends use their vacation time to bring equipment out west and clear roads and rebuild peoples driveways. Volunteers have flown daily missions since the storm passed delivering much needed supplies and evacuating stranded residents. People are literally driving from states away to help. It’s absolutely amazing the volunteer effort going into this storm recovery 

What does the first sentence mean?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dogwoods said:

And to the contest:

Voted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

What does the first sentence mean?

It means never rely on the government for anything. That’s not the point of the government. This is all about people helping people, whoever they work for and wherever they came from. Every single major storm i don’t care if it’s democrats or republicans in power, the other side criticizes the government response and while helpful, there are so many other pieces on the private and volunteer side that drive these recoveries more than any government agency especially in the days after. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

It means never rely on the government for anything. That’s not the point of the government. This is all about people helping people, whoever they work for and wherever they came from. Every single major storm i don’t care if it’s democrats or republicans in power, the other side criticizes the government response and while helpful, there are so many other pieces on the private and volunteer side that drive these recoveries more than any government agency especially in the days after. 

Everyone chipping in to help is amazing, but don't get it twisted. The federal government has a massive and still growing response that began a week before Helene made landfall.

• Like 2
  • 100% 1

I've seen firsthand the government helping and firsthand the government stepping on there own feet. This is definitely a unique situation and sometimes there are too many chiefs in one area.  We had an incident like that here in Haywood county but it was resolved pretty quick. With the whole thing with FEMA you just have to stay informed and on top of them. But yes the locals and the civilians are doing one hell of a job around WNC. For the most part people are banding together and being a community. It is a thing of beauty! We will survive and rebuild and be stronger for this! This will NOT break us. 

• Like 5
  • 100% 2

One long-term impact the government has also been preparing for is the complexities Helene adds to fighting wildfires in the Appalachians. There will likely be a lot of debris burning in the coming weeks/months, and if these areas don't get any rain through leaf drop, things will dry out enough to cause some problems this fall. Lack of wildland firefighter access to many areas with washed out roads/trails may also require heavy aviation assets. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

20 hours ago, dogwoods said:

And to the contest:

Voted!

• Like 1