Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

26 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

TOG?  Or just indicated?

Just indicated but major wind shift and lowering of the clouds right over our house. Rain stopped when the darkest lowering came over then picked up with probably 30 mph gusts after it passed, exact opposite direction 

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Forecasted wind gusts have increased to near hurricane strength as #HurricaneHelene approaches. Widespread power outages are likely tonight as well as the ongoing catastrophic flooding in the NC Mountains. Have multiple ways to receive a warning. #scwx #ncwx #gawx FB_IMG_1727389735236.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

This does not give me the warm fuzzies at all :(

• Like 1

That’s one of the most dire wind maps I’ve ever seen that far from a storms landfall. It doesn’t add in the 10-20” of rain that surely will result in historic tree damage if those gusts are realized. This is ones our kids will talk about on weather forums 60 years from now

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Will the dam hold with those kind of rates?  I remember the stories from my grandmother who lived on the Keowee River as a kid and the Toxaway dam failed.  

Yeah the dam failed in the flood of 1916. Its was built back and has never had any problems since. We’ve had some pretty big floods since then. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Wonder if this causes enough damage in the Clemson area to alter the game Saturday night 

I feel bad for Stanford coming into this situation. Power is going to be out in most of the Upstate by early morning. It could take days to get power fully restored. Could this be the Upstate's storm of the century? Maybe not, but I am terribly concerned for major tree damage and power outages. It is going to be a scary and sleepless night in the Upstate, NE Georgia and Western NC. 

Serious question.  Should I get out of Beech Mountain and go to Statesville with my brother?  I'm at the very top of the mountain, so slides and flood are unlikely direct on top of me, but down hill might be different.  I'm on the 3rd floor of a condo (top floor) directly on top of the mountain, so I don't know how safe or unsafe I am since I have never ridden a hurricane out in the mountains.  If I need to leave, I need to now, but I don't know what to do here.  We are in unprecedented territory 

Edit to add that I am mainly afraid of the winds and structural issues with the roof, etc.....

1 minute ago, gopack42 said:

Serious question.  Should I get out of Beech Mountain and go to Statesville with my brother?  I'm at the very top of the mountain, so slides and flood are unlikely direct on top of me, but down hill might be different.  I'm on the 3rd floor of a condo (top floor) directly on top of the mountain, so I don't know how safe or unsafe I am since I have never ridden a hurricane out in the mountains.  If I need to leave, I need to now, but I don't know what to do here.  We are in unprecedented territory 

I live in Statesville and can say it’s been extremely mild compared to anything west of Hickory. If you have the ability to come, I would strongly recommend it. 

7 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

Edit to add that I am mainly afraid of the winds and structural issues with the roof, etc.....

Ridge tops will experience 80 mph winds tomorrow but I will say conditions are deteriorating fast so be careful if you make that move now.

12 minutes ago, wxslug said:

I live in Statesville and can say it’s been extremely mild compared to anything west of Hickory. If you have the ability to come, I would strongly recommend it. 

Thanks for the info!  My fear, as Boone pointed out below, is that it's too late and now it's dark trying to come down the mountains.  I would have not come home today but I HAD to get here to take care of some things and now I feel like I'm stuck but want to play it safe at my brother's house. 

2 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

Thanks for the info!  My fear, as Boone pointed out below, is that it's too late and now it's dark trying to come down the mountains.  I would have not come home today but I HAD to get here to take care of some things and now I feel like I'm stuck but want to play it safe at my brother's house. 

My advice, since it is already night, is to stay put. The top of Beech experiences 80 mile per hour winds most winters.  They don’t build those condos with ¼ inch plywood.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

This. Ride this mofo out up there. 

Just zero meter the thing. We’re all weenies at heart that probably wanted to chase a cane at some point and this is coming to our doorstep (trying to find the smallest glimmer of light on this dimly lit evening).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BooneWX said:

Just zero meter the thing. We’re all weenies at heart that probably wanted to chase a cane at some point and this is coming to our doorstep (trying to find the smallest glimmer of light on this dimly lit evening).

Yeah this is definitely a historical event. Kind of wild by about 4 am this thing is going to be on our doorstep. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Thanks for the reassurance from you and Jburns and met.  I've ridden out many hurricanes, but this is my first here so please pardon my nervousness lol.   I don't mean to sound like a baby, although I'm probably being one lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

Thanks for the reassurance from you and JD and met.  I've ridden out many hurricanes, but this is my first here so please pardon my nervousness lol.   I don't mean to sound like a baby, although I'm probably being one lol

Well then.  I’m taking my assurance back.  You’re in trouble now.

• Haha 3