Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

2 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Too much banter in the tropical thread acting like this thing is underperforming. An almost Cat 3 of this size is going to have appreciably worse impacts than your recent compact 4s.

Be interesting to see how low she goes.  Anything in the 940s is a really dangerous storm.  She still has several hours before landfall to undergo rapid intensification.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BooneWX said:

Too much banter in the tropical thread acting like this thing is underperforming. An almost Cat 3 of this size is going to have appreciably worse impacts than your recent compact 4s.

Northern weenies are the worst for sure :lol: While they're complaining, Helene has steadily strengthened since her erc overnight and has gone from an 85mph storm to a 110mph storm with continued strengthening until landfall. 

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

In my opinion this thing is so big that it's not a tight clustered system that goes off like a bomb all at once. This thing had been building into an absolute monster of a system so it takes time for things to come together and mix out the dry air. But the thing is the bigger this thing gets the harder it will be to slow her down... Just my opinion on the evolution of Helene currently.  

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

9 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

I’ve been busy so far today. I’ll just mosey over there and see if I can be of assistance.

image.png.e148233f1bfc1c901d0319052c5f4172.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • 100% 1

I had to vent on the main board one time against people calling bust. Absolutely everything about this has been well forecast and is on schedule. These giant storms absolutely do not spin up from a TS to a Cat 3 in 18 hours like some were expecting but every time I’ve looked it looks healthier and healthier. Honestly I’m extremely impressed with the rate of intensification thus far

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I had to vent on the main board one time against people calling bust. Absolutely everything about this has been well forecast and is on schedule. These giant storms absolutely do not spin up from a TS to a Cat 3 in 18 hours like some were expecting but every time I’ve looked it looks healthier and healthier. Honestly I’m extremely impressed with the rate of intensification thus far

Them 2 days ago: don’t buy the unrealistically low pressure readings and winds on the models!

today: ooooo this Texas sized cat 3 set to send the southeast into the Stone Age just isn’t cutting it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 100% 1

1 minute ago, BooneWX said:

I’d probably get torched for saying this elsewhere but it reminds me of Michael 

A wider and much wetter version of Michael. As bad as Florida impacts will be I truly think the upstate and mountains will rival landfall zones as ground zero. A devastating storm and a historic one incoming. There’s nothing holding that back 

• Like 3

• BooneWX changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene

Really thinking bout yall west of here. I cannot imagine those rainfall totals on flat ground, much less in the mountains. Then throw 50-60+ mph gusts on top of it… I don’t see a way this isn’t devastating. I try to avoid hyperbole but what’s coming is worthy of the terms devastating, historic, catastrophic, and hopefully not but extremely likely… deadly 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.wbtv.com/2024/09/26/watch-possible-tornado-spotted-charlotte/

I saw this funnel cloud with my own two eyes this morning during the tornado warnings issued for west central Mecklenburg County and Gaston County.  We weren't forecasted to see much until later on today, but the interaction of the stalled frontal boundary and the outer bands of Helene are interacting already in Metro Charlotte.

I have been closely watching the track and the differences between the global models and hurricane models.  They seem to be in decent agreement on the landfall spot, but after that there is a big difference in track (in my opinion).  I am located in the central midlands of SC so a track through GA that is further east will probably mean higher winds here.  A track over or west of Atlanta will likely mean less wind.  Either way, Helene is a monster and is going to cause a lot of damage.  

1 hour ago, SuperNET1 said:

How close are you to Columbia Forest Products (plywood mill in PG)? 

Well, it's actually west and south of me in Greenlee...between US70 and I40...about 4 miles from the house here, I reckon. 

For years my front yard mulch has come from Columbia Carolina. Largely poplar bark.