• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

Just got cell service back on around here and the sound of chainsaws and generators hasn't stopped :( mby ended up getting just over a foot of rain with gusts to 70mph. The power companies are saying it could be Friday before power is restored to most places and I'm so grateful it has not been unbearably hot. It's insane how bad the destruction is everywhere 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Our son got home from App State today.  Fortunately, we were able to communicate with him and knew he was ok.  Worse thing was landslide blocked them into their apartment complex for part of Friday.  They were able to get out Saturday and get some supplies but came home since no power and no class for days. He and his friends certainly were luckier than a lot of others.

I had a bad feeling about this storm with all the rain in advance of the actual hurricane, but I'm still shocked at how bad it was and deeply saddened for WNC, E TN and all the rest.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Briefly have cell service for the 1st time since Friday. I'm in Candler, SW of Asheville. In line to get gas. I feel fortunate to be alive. The destruction is unimaginable. We have no cell service or power or water. Our food is about out, but we are trying to find some today,  along with thousands of other people. Massive trees to clean up, but minor stuff compared to the complete tragedy that others have experienced. The rivers and wind have done just insane damage. No nightmares would match this reality. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Briefly have cell service for the 1st time since Friday. I'm in Candler, SW of Asheville. In line to get gas. I feel fortunate to be alive. The destruction is unimaginable. We have no cell service or power or water. Our food is about out, but we are trying to find some today,  along with thousands of other people. Massive trees to clean up, but minor stuff compared to the complete tragedy that others have experienced. The rivers and wind have done just insane damage. No nightmares would match this reality. 

Glad you’re okay man. I was worried.
I have others friends in your area that I have spoken with.

Stay strong.

• Like 5
  • 100% 1

2 hours ago, ncjoaquin said:

With all the roads closed, but the Asheville airport open, it seems like a bit of a "Berlin airlift" kind of situation there right now.   Is there food and supplies being flow in?   If not, it seems like there should be.

I have a relative stuck in Asheville right now.   Not sure what his situation is, other than alive and with a place to sleep.

I work for Duke Energy and just got deployed. We’re staging in Spartanburg but I will be headed to the NC mountains by this evening. I’m in a damage assessment role so I will be documenting damage to our infrastructure and sending line and tree crews where needed. I am loading my truck up with supplies right now and will drop them off at one of the donation spots set up. I am scared to think of the damage I am about to see 

• Like 15

34 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I work for Duke Energy and just got deployed. We’re staging in Spartanburg but I will be headed to the NC mountains by this evening. I’m in a damage assessment role so I will be documenting damage to our infrastructure and sending line and tree crews where needed. I am loading my truck up with supplies right now and will drop them off at one of the donation spots set up. I am scared to think of the damage I am about to see 

Be safe and thank you! I am headed to concord tomorrow to assist Operation Airdrop.

• Like 7

I’m in Rutherford 35 mins se of lake lure.
Be safe as you come In!

• Like 1

This analysis from 2023 suggests that the Federal Rainfall Analysis is significantly underestimating how often 1 in a 100 yr events are likely to occur. This is due to the data being updated only infrequently and not keeping up with changes due to climate change.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/26/us/extreme-flood-risk-first-street-federal-data-climate/index.html

"The report found half the American population lives in a county where a 1-in-100-year flood is at least twice as likely now as past years, coming once every 50 years, on average, rather than 100.

First Street found parts of Western North Carolina hit by Helene could get a 1-in-100 year flood every 11 to 25 years. Stronger storms could impact all areas of the country. In much of the Northeast, the Ohio River Basin, Northwestern California, the Texas Gulf Coast and the Mountain West, the rainfall depths for a 1-in-100-year event could happen at least every 5 to 10 years."

2 hours ago, andyhb said:

Now 57 dead in Buncombe Co. alone via local sheriff.

Sounds like they have well over 100 bodies that have not been identified etc and they are only adding to the death toll when they do ID and notify next of kin. A guy on the hunting forum for NC I am on said they think the actual number will be much higher....a lot of people tried to flee in the vehicles and got caught in the flooding and washed away etc and it will be weeks or month before they find all the victims. 

I finally got my power back just after 8:15 PM last night. Relief! The total outage here was 115 hours. The fridge and freezer were at 70F meaning most of the food was thrown out. Warmest it got inside was only 83 though it was very sticky. But relative to many other areas, this area got off lightly overall from Helene. About 13% in the area remain w/o power.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

FB_IMG_1727885330638.jpg

Maps are pretty and odds are odds but people need to remember that there is just as high a chance that the same thing will happen next year as there was it could happen this year.

• Like 7

The devastation along the Catawba and it's tributaries is astonishing. We returned home today but it's almost like a new place. The river destroyed much of the vegetation along the banks and left silt and mud everywhere. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Been working storm since Monday afternoon. Been mostly near Chesnee SC. Cell service has gotten markedly better since Monday. Power line damage is unlike anything I have worked inland. Reminds me of Fran in Raleigh. One circuit was over 50% laying on the ground. Progress is being made. Feel for folks up here, they have been nothing but welcoming and have frequently offered to bring food and water for me and our crews. 

• Like 16