Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

5 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

McDowell is a war zone. Trying to access my property but I can't even get there. 

This is the most devastating impact imaginable for western NC. Literally our worst fears came to fruition. I’m praying for your family.

• 100% 1

15 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

This is the most devastating impact imaginable for western NC. Literally our worst fears came to fruition. I’m praying for your family.

Thank you. We are about to pack up and leave to somewhere with power. It will take days and weeks for McDowell and WNC to recover. Maybe even years. With the river at 21.5 I'm fairly certain my home is flooded. Glad I made be decision to leave. My prayers are with everyone. I dread the upcoming news 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

Hate to say this but the sun just popped out here. ~While I had quite a bit of rain prior days only 1.17” since midnight with the highest wind gust of 32mph. We have quite a lot of family in Boone area. Obviously a total different story. Have contacted almost all and they are all still in their homes. No power of course but that’s about it.

34 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

McDowell is a war zone. Trying to access my property but I can't even get there. 

I feel so helpless. Trying to get back to Old Fort as quickly as possible but fear it won't be until Saturday or Sunday at the earliest...if it's even possible

1 hour ago, calculus1 said:

Still now word from our family in Old Fort since EMS told us they were okay. Can’t get to them. Can’t call them. Feels so helpless.

Same here, last I heard from my sister was this morning. I think they’re fine but it’s unnerving.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, southmdwatcher said:

The pictures of the I40 washout seemed to hit social media prior to the news of the Waterville dam failure

correct. That photo of the washout is from hours before the dam failure. the highway is likely completely gone in multiple places by now.

I really hope the stranded cars/trucks in that photo made it to higher ground..

20 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

Apparently the waterville dam did NOT fail. May have been overtopped. But the dam itself is not in danger of failing and the NWS has cancelled the FF emergency for Cocke county.

What a clusterfuck.  I wonder how many people will ignore the next evacuation order.

• Like 2
  • 100% 1

27 minutes ago, jburns said:

What a clusterfuck.  I wonder how many people will ignore the next evacuation order.

For what it's worth - the river still hit record levels with severe flooding, at 28 feet high - and still rising right now!    So I'm guessing most of the town is underwater right now anyhow.

https://water.noaa.gov/gauges/NEPT1

4 minutes ago, WolfStock1 said:

For what it's worth - the river still hit record levels with severe flooding, at 28 feet high - and still rising right now!    So I'm guessing most of the town is underwater right now anyhow.

https://water.noaa.gov/gauges/NEPT1

Without a dam failure, that reading is 5 feet above the previous record crest.

I left the no service area safely and am in Virginia with the in laws. Still couldn't get to my house before we left but it doesn't look good. Not sure what's next other than determining how bad it is which will be tomorrow with nightfall approaching and the river still in flood. 

• Sad 3

Just now, wncsnow said:

I left the no service area safely and am in Virginia with the in laws. Still couldn't get to my house before we left but it doesn't look good. Not sure what's next other than determining how bad it is which will be tomorrow with nightfall approaching and the river still in flood. 

While leaving I witnessed trees on power lines, many in the road, trees on houses, cars, flash flooding, signs blown over or crushed by trees and more.