• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

Been raining in Gainesville since about 2 pm yesterday. Wish I had a weather station set up but the airport about 2 miles away is over 6” now. Pretty concerned about some trees in my yard uphill falling on my house. Decided to go to the comfort of my parent's basement tonight instead lol. Definitely more street flooding than I was anticipating on my drive. 

Hoping for the best for yall in the higher elevations. Can't even begin to imagine what it's gonna be like up there. 

• Like 2

Hunkered down here in Macon, where my friend, the Euro, has me in the eye at 0900z. 

Hoping to walk outside around 5:00am and look up and see stars. (after picking my way around all the fallen trees)

This whole, NHC Track-vs-Model Track has me really curious as to the final outcome.

Only hours from it being at Latitude 33'45" and they're 80-90 miles apart.

NHC still says slap-dab, downtown Atlanta is where the center passes.

Most models have it closer to Athens. 

Either way I think lots of folks will be without power and, because I have my priorities right,   have my generator fueled so my coffee maker will work in the morning:)

Hurricane Helene ECMWF Wind Gust 2024-09-26 1800z.png

• Like 4

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
TORNADO WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC  
950 PM EDT THU SEP 26 2024  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF...  
CHATHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
BEAUFORT COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...  
JASPER COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...  

* UNTIL 1015 PM EDT.  

* AT 950 PM EDT, A CONFIRMED WATERSPOUT WAS LOCATED 5 MILES SOUTH OF  
TYBEE ISLAND, MOVING NORTHWEST AT 50 MPH. 

HAZARD...TORNADO.  

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED WATERSPOUT MOVING ONSHORE.  

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT  
WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR  
DESTROYED. DAMAGE TO ROOFS, WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL  
OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.  

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, BLUFFTON, TYBEE ISLAND, BELLINGER HILL AREA,  
WILMINGTON ISLAND, FORT PULASKI NATIONAL MONUMENT, HUTCHINSON  
ISLAND, DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH, MIDTOWN SAVANNAH AND HUNTER ARMY  
AIRFIELD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My family members are reporting that Buncombe County emergency text messaging is telling people to evacuate if they live in and around the French Broad, the Swannanoa, or any of their tributaries. I think they are particularly worried about the Fletcher and Biltmore Village areas, but this will likely be much more expansive by tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

I'm about 10 miles south of Boone in NC and am up to a 3 day total of just over 17".

1.61 Tue
5.89 Wed
9.5" Thu and still falling fast.

Never seen rain rates like this last so long. Should easily break 2 feet for the week. All this water has gotta go somewhere.

Where exactly Tyler?  Just curious 

Even though this area is far from the center (over 200 miles), sustained winds/gusts (to 40+) have increased substantially the last 30 minutes. Im hearing loud roars already from the wind. Stuff falling on my roof. I just heard a nearby transformer blow. I expect power will likely be lost at some point here, perhaps very soon. GA Power outages are now starting to rise rapidly. This is going to be a very long rest of the night. It has already been a long night with the tornado warnings/heavy showers/gusty winds earlier. Stay safe folks!

Just heard another transformer blow. These recent high winds have been mainly with no rain.

Wow, check this out from the NWS:

0124 AM TROPICAL CYCLONE SAVANNAH AIRPORT 32.13N 81.20W  
09/27/2024 CHATHAM GA ASOS  

SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT MEASURED A  
65 KNOT (75 MPH) WIND GUST. THE SUSTAINED WIND SPEED WAS  
44 KNOTS (51 MPH).

This was certainly not predicted.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Wow, check this out from the NWS:

0124 AM TROPICAL CYCLONE SAVANNAH AIRPORT 32.13N 81.20W  
09/27/2024 CHATHAM GA ASOS  

SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT MEASURED A  
65 KNOT (75 MPH) WIND GUST. THE SUSTAINED WIND SPEED WAS  
44 KNOTS (51 MPH).

This was certainly not predicted.

Shows what that east side is capable of. I saw that gust report on the most recent advisory from NHC and figured you were in for a wild night 

• 100% 1

The siren in Clyde has been sounded. The river is out on Thickety Road at Thompson Cove & on Hyder Mtn. Currently Hyder Mtn Road is closed between Chambers Mtn & Richland Creek Rd. 

In the need of immediate evacuation please call 911. 

If you need sheltering please report to 410 Charles St in Clyde.

This is per the fire department. 

• Sad 1

After the earlier very high gusts 2 hrs ago that took my power, there had not been a repeat of wind gusts nearly that high until ~3AM, when they returned.

Power now is out to over 100K customers in the GA portion of the metro area, easily the worst since Matthew.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Just heard a huge tree fall back behind my place. Luckily it's just a mountain but very eerie to hear.

It is eerie to hear! It's been pouring for hours and the wind is picking up. It sucks not being able to see anything :( 

EDIT: My phone going off for the flood just made me jump lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

It is eerie to hear! It's been pouring for hours and the wind is picking up. It sucks not being able to see anything :( 

EDIT: My phone going off for the flood just made me jump lol

Yeah especially when the wind is cranking up already.  Lol glad I'm not the only one that did it too! I was like WTF!

• Haha 1

Wind gusts starting to ramp up across the southern portion of the area. With Helene currently situated over south-central Georgia, the wind field associated with Helene will allow for strong wind gusts to overspread all of the western Carolinas and northeast Georgia over the next few hours as the system lifts north, closer to the area. The combination of strong wind gusts and very saturated soils from previous and ongoing heavy rainfall, widespread downed trees and numerous power outages are expected through this morning.FB_IMG_1727424077989.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk