Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

Just now, mercurydime said:

Over 4 inches for the event so far 3.21 today, ands that's almost doubled from 90 minutes ago...not any Forrest Gump sideways rain yet, but close during some gusts.  

I figured you would post during this. Good to see you back. I'm only at 2.16 today being a little further east. I bet some places near Old Fort have gotten over 4 to 5 inches already. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have family in Old Fort that live across the street from the Catawba River. I also have family in Black Mountain, but not near any streams or rivers. Really worried about this one for both of them. I think they both see upwards of a foot of rainfall out of this. The point-and-click NWS forecasts are pretty insane for both locations. I’ve never seen the language for rain totals that it is using for Black Mountain tomorrow night: “New precipitation amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.” The other time frames are also huge. Old Fort isn’t much different.

I keep sending my family updates, as I have them, since I am much more into following weather events than any of them. I appreciate all the reports and posting that ya’ll provide on here.

• Like 2

Firsts for everything, I guess.  Spit out my Mountain Dew driving home this afternoon around 5:00 when I heard this:

"The National Weather Service has issued a Hurricane Warning for Bibb County," (Macon, GA)

NHC still has track centered to the west of MCN by 50 miles, but looking at the HAFS-B, it takes the eye pretty much directly over us here in Macon.

Guess I'll need to take my bloomers off the clothesline.

hafs-b-storm-09l-gust_mph-1727287200-1727416800-1727438400-40.gif

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Shack said:

Firsts for everything, I guess.  Spit out my Mountain Dew driving home this afternoon around 5:00 when I heard this:

"The National Weather Service has issued a Hurricane Warning for Bibb County," (Macon, GA)

NHC still has track centered to the west of MCN by 50 miles, but looking at the HAFS-B, it takes the eye pretty much directly over us here in Macon.

Guess I'll need to take my bloomers off the clothesline.

hafs-b-storm-09l-gust_mph-1727287200-1727416800-1727438400-40.gif

I’m afraid this is going to be a generational wind event for you guys and all of Georgia. Brad Panovich said it well today: “this is Georgia’s Hugo.”

• Like 1

Maybe someone on here can answer this without ripping me a new butt hole.  But, I have looked at all the operation models.  GFS, EURO, NAM, HRRR, HWRF... you name it.  They for the most part have the LPS coming on shore in the Big Bend area and then moving on a line to about Tifton, GA and then depending on the model, the next frame looks to be Macon, or Gainesville or Athens, GA.   I say this to say... the NWS cone and projected line is WEST of Atlanta.  The models seem to take a line East of Atlanta.  Why?  What am I missing?  Somebody straighten me out.

WED Cone.jpg

WED_GFS.png

WED_EURO.png

WED_HWRF.png

5 minutes ago, HWY316wx said:

Maybe someone on here can answer this without ripping me a new butt hole.  But, I have looked at all the operation models.  GFS, EURO, NAM, HRRR, HWRF... you name it.  They for the most part have the LPS coming on shore in the Big Bend area and then moving on a line to about Tifton, GA and then depending on the model, the next frame looks to be Macon, or Gainesville or Athens, GA.   I say this to say... the NWS cone and projected line is WEST of Atlanta.  The models seem to take a line East of Atlanta.  Why?  What am I missing?  Somebody straighten me out.

WED Cone.jpg

WED_GFS.png

WED_EURO.png

WED_HWRF.png

I can’t directly speak to the reasoning behind the NHC being on the western side of guidance but if I had to take a stab at it, we have a complex interaction with the upper level low over the Ozarks. I think they may be banking on Helene feeling that tug to the west a bit more than the models indicate. Also important to note that the models are initializing Helene as a stronger cane than it currently is. A stronger system will resist the tug from the ULL and try to go more poleward. Since the models seem to be overdoing intensity at the moment, they’re probably going to be spot on with the track being further west than guidance.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

I can’t directly speak to the reasoning behind the NHC being on the western side of guidance but if I had to take a stab at it, we have a complex interaction with the upper level low over the Ozarks. I think they may be banking on Helene feeling that tug to the west a bit more than the models indicate. Also important to note that the models are initializing Helene as a stronger cane than it currently is. A stronger system will resist the tug from the ULL and try to go more poleward. Since the models seem to be overdoing intensity at the moment, they’re probably going to be spot on with the track being further west than guidance.

Ok.  That makes sense.  I could not for the life of me figure out why... this makes sense.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

In many cases the Models have underestimated intensity upon landfall. That's when we'll have a better idea of whether the track will be further east or not. As you alluded to, the stronger, the more it'll resist the pull .

• Like 1

Had the same thinking all day.  "What's up with that track?," in that NHC has it centered waay west of what the big-boy models project. But, hoping that GFS et al, were right and the highest wind field stayed  a little east(of me.  Sorry, Augusta).

What Boone said is likely spot-on. 

But, topic for another thread, how does a model initialize "stronger" when the data at onset of the model run is fed to into the program as "existing conditions?"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shack said:

Had the same thinking all day.  "What's up with that track?," in that NHC has it centered waay west of what the big-boy models project. But, hoping that GFS et al, were right and the highest wind field stayed  a little east.

What Boone said is likely spot-on. 

But, topic for another thread, how does a model initialize "stronger" when the data at onset of the model run is fed to into the program as "existing conditions?"

@Shackive honestly had the same question for a while but most of the hurricane models have initialized as much as 10mb too low compared to obs from hurricane hunters. Sort of speaks to the need this nation has for better funding and resources being allocated to our weather data.

• Like 2

• BooneWX changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene