Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

BooneWX

13 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I bet these will be upped as well. This is still extremely impressive.  Also if the thing ends up strengthening a good bit that will really put us under the gun for some extreme weather. 

I wish it would all be as wrong as some of the snow forecasts of the past.  This sounds like misery ahead. Chain sawing trees and being without power don't top my list of favorite things to do. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

I wish it would all be as wrong as some of the snow forecasts of the past.  This sounds like misery ahead. Chain sawing trees and being without power don't top my list of favorite things to do. 

Yeah as shown currently this is going to be a historical event.. Not hyping but just looking at the data.  Again any sudden change with this thing and that could greatly impact our area but so far all models have us as ground zero.

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah as shown currently this is going to be a historical event.. Not hyping but just looking at the data.  Again any sudden change with this thing and that could greatly impact our area but so far all models have us as ground zero.

They definitely do. It is not hype at all. It is a scary scenario. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The Southern Apps are going to be to a degree ground zero regardless just from Orographic lift. As well as the convergence the mountains provide with the ULL. It's possible the "wealth" could be spread around a bit more and places like Ashville end up with less than forecast. But somewhere in the higher elevations is getting double digit rainfall. No doubt about it.

• Like 3

Tomorrow morning is the time to batten down the hatches. Get your generator going and making sure you have flashlights, blankets,  water, maybe a camp cooking stove, and possibly an alternative place to stay in case your power goes out for an extended period of time.  Also if you live near a river or stream keep an eye out but do not wait until the last minute to leave your home. Also be sure you have an alternate plan for your animals.  They are family so take care of them and keep them safe as well.  Just be prepared and tune into here and the NWS because you know we are some of the best to keep up to date info at the first of hearing anything.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

The Southern Apps are going to be to a degree ground zero regardless just from Orographic lift. As well as the convergence the mountains provide with the ULL. It's possible the "wealth" could be spread around a bit more and places like Ashville end up with less than forecast. But somewhere in the higher elevations is getting double digit rainfall. No doubt about it.

Yeah no doubt about that and also a great assessment to the southern upslope factor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

Old fort is getting pounded again with storms. They have had 2 inches today in spots already. I am also surprised at all the tornado warnings near us today in TN, KY, and VA. I'm sure there will be some with Helene too.

Yeah I believe @GaWx has alluded to possible severe storms and Tornados as Helene runs her way through the SE and us. If she moves quickly and right over our area we could see some narly cells cross the area.

• Like 1

This could be a wild couple of days. The rain amounts are pretty insane - it’s been a while since anything like that here. I want to say Ivan or Katrina gave mby that kind of rain. Even if you cut back on the numbers it is still a ton of rain 

After Irma showed that our area could get really strong winds here, with this storm, depending on the exact track and how strong its gets before making landfall, it could be very windy. A lot of the models sometimes show it to the east,  the the latest “official” track puts eastern ga,  ne ga, western sc up to western nc on the eastern side of the storm. 
definitely keeping my phone charged up starting thur. 

• Like 2

Digging around tonight into some local history. These were the rainfall amounts for the great flood of 1940. While idk if we hit the maxes in the illustration, this storm certainly will dump elevated totals on a larger area. 

In short - worried about everybody but especially worried locally for the Wilson Creek gorge and those downstream of Johns River and the Catawba.

IMG_2697.jpeg

• Like 2

• BooneWX changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene