• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
2024-2025 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

Buckethead

Still living in the twilight zone here. Barely know what day it is. Days and days of constant work. Good news is I got power back yesterday and the concrete is finally drying out. Hoping to get floors in within 2 weeks. Finished up ripping all the carpet up and went through the storage, lost a lot, sadly. Staying at mom's place for the moment with my animals. Once we get flooring and the place is livable, we're moving her in since she's getting kicked out of her apartment complex for a month or so, for repairs. Her place flooded as well but is livable. The chaos continues! We are alive though, and safe. Have to look on the bright side right now or else I'd go insane. I hope everyone is doing as well as they can be! 

No flood insurance so... this process is going to be long. And confusing. Thankfully I've got family and friends donating some money. It means a lot.

Unimaginable event. It still hasn't fully hit me.

It has been hard for me to ask for help but if you'd like to send me anything via Venmo or CashApp, I'd be appreciative. Truly never thought I'd be in this situation. Not sure if DMs are a thing on here but I can edit the post with the info if you're unable to message me if you'd like to. Thanks y'all! Hope we never had to go through this again.

7cOd1rg.jpeg 

WzYUQ4y.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

43 this morning. I'm noticing the longer range guidance suggest much cooler air possibly arriving early to mid next week. I'm praying that the folks still needing to be reached with supplies get what they need soon! The Army arrived in Maggie Sunday afternoon. They've been working with our Town Maintenance crews since arriving!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said:

43 this morning. I'm noticing the longer range guidance suggest much cooler air possibly arriving early to mid next week. I'm praying that the folks still needing to be reached with supplies get what they need soon! The Army arrived in Maggie Sunday afternoon. They've been working with our Town Maintenance crews since arriving!

Yeah it definitely looks like a frost or freeze early next week for the area. 

• Sad 1

I know it's been impossible for folks to get up on the Parkway. But, anyone seen anything on how some of the more well-known areas fared?

Linn Cove Viaduct, Craggy Gardens, Mt. Mitchell, Mt. Pisgah, Graveyard Fields, etc?

On 10/4/2024 at 1:15 PM, wncsnow said:

We are good. The river missed us by about 15-20 feet. We lost all of our lawn equipment and a shed but I feel so blessed compared to others.  

Glad to hear that damage was minimal.  I'm in the fortunate camp as well. Only "princess problems" with utilities.  

• Like 2

Thinking about you guys I know yall will be dealing with this for months and years to come.  I know some of you have lost an unimaginable much.   Don't know anyone other than screen names (well, other than MotoWxman) but feel i know you as friends reading your posts all these years.   And i forgot to update on the guy from my church that was stuck in Montreat (thanks for the info yall gave me).  Anyway, couple days later an excavator and several guys with chainsaws just appeared, fixed the road, cleared the trees, and all 12 were able to get back to Georgia safely.  High Country Strong!  I suspect in years to come there will be a lot of ptsd when a hurricane runs up through the states below or beside you.  

• Like 3
  • 100% 2

5 hours ago, WNC_Fort said:

I know it's been impossible for folks to get up on the Parkway. But, anyone seen anything on how some of the more well-known areas fared?

Linn Cove Viaduct, Craggy Gardens, Mt. Mitchell, Mt. Pisgah, Graveyard Fields, etc?

There are photos from the Pisgah Inn that show roads being washed out and huge sinkholes.

5 hours ago, WNC_Fort said:

Screenshot_20241009-142228_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20241009-141313_Firefox.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Our first forecasted snowfall of the season on the 12z gfs.prateptype_cat-imp.us_ma.jpgprateptype_cat-imp.us_ma (1).jpgsn10_acc-imp.us_ma.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I love snow, but I don't even know what to think about that. Definitely not a good thing during the recovery from this disaster.  The positive thing is that I can't remember very many, of any, mid October snowstorms. 

But, we can only take what we are given. We can't control it.

• Like 4

Frost advisory for the high country.

NCZ033-049-050-110230-
/O.NEW.KGSP.FR.Y.0006.241011T0500Z-241011T1300Z/
Avery-Yancey-Mitchell-
Including the cities of Micaville, Burnsville, Ramseytown,
Poplar, Celo, Banner Elk, Swiss, Spruce Pine, Ingalls, Busick,
and Newland
217 PM EDT Thu Oct 10 2024

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM EDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 36 will result in frost formation.

* WHERE...Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey Counties.

* WHEN...From 1 AM to 9 AM EDT Friday.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hope everyone is safe from Helene.  Forgot to post this clip from the max of the storm.  This was 850am Friday Sept 27th.  At this point in time we were on generator power but still had fiber internet before that got all shut down 24 hours later.  I recorded a max wind gust of 83 mph out of the East.  Thankfully nothing fell on our place.  After this the generator ran for 9 straight days before power came back on.

My son was up there with his wife and friends as all this happened.  They actually managed to get out Sunday morning the 29th and make it back to GA.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Frost advisory for the high country.

NCZ033-049-050-110230-
/O.NEW.KGSP.FR.Y.0006.241011T0500Z-241011T1300Z/
Avery-Yancey-Mitchell-
Including the cities of Micaville, Burnsville, Ramseytown,
Poplar, Celo, Banner Elk, Swiss, Spruce Pine, Ingalls, Busick,
and Newland
217 PM EDT Thu Oct 10 2024

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM EDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 36 will result in frost formation.

* WHERE...Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey Counties.

* WHEN...From 1 AM to 9 AM EDT Friday.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yeah just saw this. We will definitely see frost tonight.  Getting a NW wind currently that's pretty dang cool.