• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
2024-2025 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

Buckethead

Hey yall, just checking in. Wolf Laurel and the rest of Yancey County are in shambles. We stopped trying to clear roads around 830 on Friday because it was way too dangerous. As we walked back to the vehicles. I'm fairly certain we saw a tornado spin up and head up my road. Every power pole and probably 500 trees on my road were snapped and tossed all over. My house was somehow spared any damage, but it's a 2 mile hike in through the woods. We have lots of help up here, but it's going to be a long time before we have any semblance of normal life.

I hope all of you and your families are safe.236ff3a43346785d83fdc75d4cbd01ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

I’ve never seen it so quiet in here. This is very sad. Our mountain members are simply incapable of posting because communications are nonexistent in many of those counties.  Last posts of several prominent members:

@Buckethead: Monday, 10/23

@HWY316wx: Thursday, 10/26, 8:10 PM

@BretWx: Thursday, 10/26, 9:29 PM

@NEGa: Friday, 10/27, 4:41 AM

@Moonhowl: Friday, 10/27, 9:06 AM

@Met1985: Friday, 10/27, 11:34 AM

@Rainforrest: Friday, 10/27, 12:34 PM

@BooneWX: Friday, 10:27, 1:27 PM

@Tyler Penland: Friday, 10/27, 8:58 PM

@mercurydime: Friday, 10:27, 10:52 PM

I’m sure there are others that I’ve forgot, and please forgive me for not including them — it’s not intentional — but these are just a few that have come to mind and that I haven’t seen since the height of the storm.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Hey yall, just checking in. Wolf Laurel and the rest of Yancey County are in shambles. We stopped trying to clear roads around 830 on Friday because it was way too dangerous. As we walked back to the vehicles. I'm fairly certain we saw a tornado spin up and head up my road. Every power pole and probably 500 trees on my road were snapped and tossed all over. My house was somehow spared any damage, but it's a 2 mile hike in through the woods. We have lots of help up here, but it's going to be a long time before we have any semblance of normal life.

I hope all of you and your families are safe.236ff3a43346785d83fdc75d4cbd01ab.jpg

So glad to hear that you are okay, @Buckethead! Thanks for checking in.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

I’ve never seen it so quiet in here. This is very sad. Our mountain members are simply incapable of posting because communications are nonexistent in many of those counties.  Last posts of several prominent members:

@Buckethead: Monday, 10/23

@HWY316wx: Thursday, 10/26, 8:10 PM

@BretWx: Thursday, 10/26, 9:29 PM

@NEGa: Friday, 10/27, 4:41 AM

@Moonhowl: Friday, 10/27, 9:06 AM

@Met1985: Friday, 10/27, 11:34 AM

@Rainforrest: Friday, 10/27, 12:34 PM

@BooneWX: Friday, 10:27, 1:27 PM

@Tyler Penland: Friday, 10/27, 8:58 PM

@mercurydime: Friday, 10:27, 10:52 PM

I’m sure there are others that I’ve forgot, and please forgive me for not including them — it’s not intentional — but these are just a few that have come to mind and that I haven’t seen since the height of the storm.

I hope they are all okay. So sad.

• Like 2

Fortunately we came thru with just a fallen tree that missed everything but a fence and minor basement flooding.  Cell service just starting to come back in Asheville, so first internet access since Friday.  Hoping everyone is safe.

• Like 6

Services restored late Monday, only to lose internet again noon yesterday.  Cell service has kicked back up to 5G, which helps for online matters. 

Otherwise OK here.  Higher ground (and good drainage) can have its advantages.  Immediately west of me, Old Fort took it on the chin badly.  Further east, Morganton took a big lick. 

Marion certainly can't compare to those two, or certainly Swannanoa and Asheville.  

I'll never look at things the same again.  This event has irrevocably changed the area I've lived in all my life (save time away at Wake Forest).  Changes physical and emotional. 

But we're strong, aren't we? Lots of humanity evident in these divisive times.  Hard lessons learned.  

We'll recover, but it won't  be overnight; that's for sure. 

• Like 7
  • 100% 1

4 hours ago, mercurydime said:

Services restored late Monday, only to lose internet again noon yesterday.  Cell service has kicked back up to 5G, which helps for online matters. 

Otherwise OK here.  Higher ground (and good drainage) can have its advantages.  Immediately west of me, Old Fort took it on the chin badly.  Further east, Morganton took a big lick. 

Marion certainly can't compare to those two, or certainly Swannanoa and Asheville.  

I'll never look at things the same again.  This event has irrevocably changed the area I've lived in all my life (save time away at Wake Forest).  Changes physical and emotional. 

But we're strong, aren't we? Lots of humanity evident in these divisive times.  Hard lessons learned.  

We'll recover, but it won't  be overnight; that's for sure. 

Well said. Glad you are doing well. Still no power at the house. 

• Thanks 1

Checking in everyone.  All my family is fine.  Our new house we are building in Laurel Ridge up near the North Fork Reservoir in Black Mountain faired well, but the road is absolutely destroyed to the neighborhood.  The photo shows the bridge that the Swannanoa River used to go under, and now the new path is has made.  It took out about 100ft of road and that road had the main waterline to Asheville right beside it.  So in short, we were supposed to move in two months, but now that looks to be delayed til the first of the year.  There is also a 200ft wide mudslide on the road right above us that I am facilitating a crew to tackle.  All in all we faired extremely well and feel so blessed.  Lots of clean-up to be done as all of you know, but it has been so amazing to see this community come together.  We had a few folks in Laurel Ridge trapped by the mudslide but the Cajun Navy along with The Mule Team were both able to provide support and everyone has been reached!  There is a light at the end of this tunnel and it's very bright for this amazing community. 

IMG_5223.jpg

• Like 12

[mention=2505]Buckethead[/mention]: Monday, 10/23
[mention=1314]HWY316wx[/mention]: Thursday, 10/26, 8:10 PM
[mention=4647]BretWx[/mention]: Thursday, 10/26, 9:29 PM
[mention=289]NEGa[/mention]: Friday, 10/27, 4:41 AM
[mention=8921]Moonhowl[/mention]: Friday, 10/27, 9:06 AM
[mention=7382]Met1985[/mention]: Friday, 10/27, 11:34 AM
[mention=1972]Rainforrest[/mention]: Friday, 10/27, 12:34 PM
[mention=15061]BooneWX[/mention]: Friday, 10:27, 1:27 PM
[mention=493]Tyler Penland[/mention]: Friday, 10/27, 8:58 PM
[mention=2764]mercurydime[/mention]: Friday, 10:27, 10:52 PM

I’m here! Connection has been dismal! We are safe. House got flooded, having to rip all of the carpet out, etc. Also, mom’s apartment was flooded and trying to find a place for her to stay while they repair everything. Just chaotic and honestly traumatic. Just happy to be alive and safe and the same with my family and friends. I hope you all are doing ok. Going to be a long road ahead of us but WE GOT THIS!

• Like 6

I’m here! Connection has been dismal! We are safe. House got flooded, having to rip all of the carpet out, etc. Also, mom’s apartment was flooded and trying to find a place for her to stay while they repair everything. Just chaotic and honestly traumatic. Just happy to be alive and safe and the same with my family and friends. I hope you all are doing ok. Going to be a long road ahead of us but WE GOT THIS!

I'm sorry to hear that man. What part of the area are you located in? I'll help you if I can.

I gotta say, I'm really proud to see how the residents of WNC can set aside their differences and band together. I've seen more kindness right now in Asheville than I've ever seen anywhere in this town.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, mercurydime said:

How's your place? Y'all got what you need? 

We are good. The river missed us by about 15-20 feet. We lost all of our lawn equipment and a shed but I feel so blessed compared to others.  

• Like 6

Hope y’all are doing alright! Pretty wild that I haven’t had a chance to check in on many things. Still no power. House cleaned out at least of all water and carpet. Been working non-stop for 8 days. Taking a rest day today. Still really hard to take in all that has happened and all that continues to. We will be back better than ever!

• Like 2