Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
2024-2025 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

Buckethead

22 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Guys this is absolutely ridiculous.

15.33" since Tuesday afternoon, 13.7" of that just yesterday and today. 8.07" since midnight. I have never seen it rain this hard for this long. Rates never drop off despite what radar says. My gutters stopped keeping up a long time ago.

Yeah this is some crazy stuff! It's absolutely pounding the rain currently now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Winds are picking up here. Finished yesterday at 10.6" with another 2.4" since midnight (actually slowed down a bit). Storm total since Wednesday morning now up to 18.9". 20.5 going back to Tuesday.

Linville broke 10,000CFS and the Watauga is over 11,000.

14 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

Wind is really starting to howl now. Everyone be safe.

Yeah winds have been roaring hear. Had a big tree fall behind the house then a flash flooding emergency message came across blaring. 

• Like 1

I am so grateful and blessed that my house was spared from the worst. Our property did flood and we lost some farm equipment but I am so grateful to God and praying for those who are suffering. The national guard is here now and more help is on the way. 

• Like 15

Currently unable to get to my home due to multiple washouts on the paved road from my neighborhood to hwy 209.  That’s not even including parts of 209, 40 and 26 being shut down as well.  Neighbors told me my house was fine damage wise, I’m going to lose all my meat in my freezers and a bear hide though unless someone with a generator takes it to their freezer or I can get there tomorrow to get mine running. 

If this is not allowed here or if this is not the right place, please feel free to delete but was wondering if there is anybody on here in Montreat. I got a call from someone from my church and 12 are stranded at a cabin and it’s been suggested to send the church van from Ga to get them after they walk to town.  He is saying they are just gonna have to leave their cars at the cabin. Based on what I’m reading, it may not be possible logistically for us to even get to Montreat so if there’s anybody local that can PM me, I would appreciate it.

17 minutes ago, NGTim said:

If this is not allowed here or if this is not the right place, please feel free to delete but was wondering if there is anybody on here in Montreat. I got a call from someone from my church and 12 are stranded at a cabin and it’s been suggested to send the church van from Ga to get them after they walk to town.  He is saying they are just gonna have to leave their cars at the cabin. Based on what I’m reading, it may not be possible logistically for us to even get to Montreat so if there’s anybody local that can PM me, I would appreciate it.

I talked to my sister in Old Fort this morning. From what she’s been told by the emergency personnel there, there’s no real way to get anywhere west of Old Fort as of now. I’m sure the situation with road closures is fluid but Montreat and Swannanoa were VERY hard hit.

32 minutes ago, NGTim said:

Not 100% but I believe 40 and 26 are closed going to asheville 

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you!!! Twitter is absolutely ablaze with WNC right now. If you have coverage and are on Twitter post it up. If you can’t and need something to be relayed post it here and I will send it. Jesse Farrell posted this is Asheville’s & WNC Katrina. The death toll will almost certainly rise and based on my knowledge it will take years to recover from this event! I am here to help how I can. Reach out to me & I will do my best. In the meantime be safe, Godspeed brothers!!!

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

4 hours ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Being awfully quiet in our mountain thread I am concerned many are struggling with severe impacts from Helene.  

Prayers for all and reach out if help is needed 

https://x.com/ncemergency/status/1840028847292432671?s=46&t=FFGrWYuqJINrKdAyxhtzfg

Electricity and cell phone signal is simply gone in those areas. Same with upstate SC. I am just south of Greenville City and starting to get some cell coverage back, but Greenville City and NW up through the Mountain areas - it might as well be as if there is no infrastructure right now. I know comms for OEM is struggling and same with all rescue personell. This was a harder hit than expected, even given the warnings.

The good news - at this time - deaths are not as high as initially feared at this time yesterday. Unfortunately, long way to go.

• Like 4

**UPDATE FROM MCDOWELL COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT**

McDowell County Faces Unprecedented Disaster: Ongoing Rescues, Infrastructure Damage, and Limited Resources

While the storm has passed, McDowell County remains in a state of active disaster. Rescue missions are ongoing, and we are still facing multiple entrapments, missing persons, and critical emergencies. Although the weather may seem favorable today, please understand that this situation is far from over, and conditions remain dangerous and unpredictable.

McDowell 911 Communications is receiving hundreds of emergency calls every hour. Many of these involve patients who are entrapped with severe trauma, running out of oxygen or essential medical supplies. In many areas, responders are unable to reach those in need due to massive landslides, downed trees, power lines, and severely flooded roads.
  Critical Challenges Facing Our Emergency Response:
Roadway Blockages: Numerous roads remain impassable due to landslides, trees, and flooding.
Fuel Supply Shortages: Fueling operations for emergency vehicles are strained by widespread power outages and unreliable fuel supply.
Communication Infrastructure: Our public safety communication systems are damaged. Radio and phone service are almost non-existent, further complicating rescue operations and efforts to locate missing and entrapped individuals.
Delivery of Essential Commodities: Despite our best efforts, the delivery of food, water, and medical supplies are being hindered due to the destruction of roadway infrastructure throughout McDowell County and the surrounding regions.
 Water Supply Crisis in Old Fort:
The Town of Old Fort’s water system has been severely affected by the flash flooding in Old Fort.  There is limited to no water service in Old Fort. 
 Water Supply Crisis in Marion:
Due to the impacts of Hurricane Helene, the City of Marion's water supply is critically threatened. The city's water intakes are either without power or unable to produce water. The City of Marion is working with Duke Energy to restore power to the Buck Creek water intake, but there is no immediate timeline for restoration. Without power, the city’s water supply is expected to run out by 12:00 PM tomorrow, Sunday, September 29.

Current Operational Missions:
Air Rescues: Over 20 air rescues have been conducted since the early morning hours of September 28. These missions have successfully extracted patients from isolated areas that remain inaccessible by ground.
Commodities Distribution: Essential supplies ordered through the McDowell County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) are being distributed to designated drop points throughout the county by the U.S. National Guard.
Search and Rescue Efforts: We continue to prioritize locating and accessing missing and stranded citizens across McDowell County. Rescue teams are working tirelessly in hazardous conditions to bring those in need to safety.

How You Can Help:
Stay at home. Do not travel or attempt to navigate roads. Do not call 911 unless you are experiencing a true emergency.
Shelters are filling rapidly. The current shelter status is as follows:
Glenwood Baptist Shelter 155 Glenwood Baptist Church Rd Marion.– FULL
Old Fort Baptist Shelter  – CLOSED
McDowell County Senior Center 155 Spaulding Rd. Marion – OPEN
If you need transportation to a shelter, please call (828) 652-3241 for assistance if you have service.
This is a dire and unprecedented situation for McDowell County. We urge all residents to heed this warning and stay home for your safety and to allow first responders to focus on life-saving efforts. Please reserve 911 calls for true emergencies.
We are committed to doing everything within our power to restore services, rescue those in need, and provide resources to the community. Your cooperation and patience during this crisis are crucial to our recovery efforts.

For ongoing updates, please monitor local news and official McDowell Emergency Services communications.  We truly understand that this release will not reach the majority of our citizens due to the massive infrastructure damage that has occurred.

Stay safe, stay informed, and help us protect McDowell County.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2