Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

WxWatcher007

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m still surprised because the eye is not really impressive at all. But she seems to still be strengthening I guess.

Huh?

2/3 of the eyewall is enveloped in some really intense convection right now. That's still going to drop the pressure even if one quad is a bit ragged.

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

I’m still surprised because the eye is not really impressive at all. But she seems to still be strengthening I guess.

Sometimes storms get that way. I remember Harvey had a messy ragged eye, Irma after leaving Cuba, but as long as those pressures are falling and the winds respond, sometimes the strongest ain't the prettiest. 

4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

A poster (I can't remember/find it a few pages back) literally just posted this link about a Hurricane Hunter in Hurricane Hugo - https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/articles/hunting-hugo-part-5

Uncanny. 

Mentioned it a few pages ago in response to the flight path when people were speculating that they were just doing continuous fixes to find the center and it got deleted.

2 minutes ago, Radtechwxman said:

On radar it's even less impressive in the southern eyewall. Kind of open and not much precip. Wonder if we have hit our max winds despite pressure drops. 

Intense storms always give radar shadows and this comes up every landfalling hurricane.

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

7 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Huh?

2/3 of the eyewall is enveloped in some really intense convection right now. That's still going to drop the pressure even if one quad is a bit ragged.

For a strengthening cat 4 like that and a ragged 40% or so of the eyewall, it’s surprising to me it intensified like that. In the following post, I mentioned the intense convection. 

• 100% 2

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

For a strengthening cat 4 like that and a ragged 40% or so of the eyewall, it’s surprising to me it intensified like that. In the following post, I mentioned the intense convection. 

The bumpiness of the eye on radar now and lightning is still indicating those rotating mesovortices. Looking at velocities we definitely have some impressive #’s on the radar out of TLH. 

Radar attenuation. Those towers are very large and blocking view of the west and south side of the storm. Reason why the intensification is surprising to you because you didn’t account for such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Radar attenuation. Those towers are very large and blocking view of the west and south side of the storm. Reason why the intensification is surprising to you because you didn’t account for such.

It's weird how the same area isn't filled in regardless of radar used, and that it isn't attenuating the area further away based on the radar location. It's a strange explanation that defies my understanding of how a radar functions, but it comes up every time we have one of these storms, which is why I remember they have this look.