• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

25 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think the ceiling for this is less related to shear and more to how organized it can become before reaching the Gulf. While the environment in the Gulf doesn’t look pristine from an intensification standpoint, I think some of the higher end potential (not necessarily the GFS solutions but rather the middle ground between GFS/Euro) can be realized if this isn’t a broad gyre type system in that timeframe. 

The loop current in the Gulf is awfully impressive and I don’t know if moisture is going to be a huge inhibitor. The impact of shear could also be lessened if it’s aligned with storm motion. Just my .02.

I can definitely see what you are saying. Organized storms tend to be resilient as of late, especially all other factors considering. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CurlyHeadBarrett said:

hmon-mslp-wind-97-L-fh66-102.gif

You can keep reading but your posting has been blocked for one week from today. If the storm dissipates sooner I may allow you to resume at that time. I’m sorry, but you were fairly warned.

Please do keep reading. You can learn a lot that will improve your future posts.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5
  • 100% 2

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Are you "DunedinDave" on Storm2K or are you just copy/pasting others' posts from there?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Honestly, this is on the Mods at this point. It’s one thing to let a few random posts go, but to allow him to continue posting, degrades any sense of meteorological posts. It’s getting embarrassing for the forum at large. 

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

I understand there is tons of uncertainty in track and intensity for the approach to the gulf coast, but let's assume it comes on shore and tracks up the Appalachians (or close to it).  My question is, up in the SC and NC mountains at higher elevations (3500 ft and higher), do storms typically have stronger wind impact for higher elevations even though the cyclone is winding down post landfall?  I wasn't sure if elevation correlates to stronger winds even as the storm winds down.  Thanks very much for any knowledge on this.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoulderWX said:

Honestly, this is on the Mods at this point. It’s one thing to let a few random posts go, but to allow him to continue posting, degrades any sense of meteorological posts. It’s getting embarrassing for the forum at large. 

I took care of this 9 minutes before your post. How embarrassing for you.  :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

19 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

I understand there is tons of uncertainty in track and intensity for the approach to the gulf coast, but let's assume it comes on shore and tracks up the Appalachians (or close to it).  My question is, up in the SC and NC mountains at higher elevations (3500 ft and higher), do storms typically have stronger wind impact for higher elevations even though the cyclone is winding down post landfall?  I wasn't sure if elevation correlates to stronger winds even as the storm winds down.  Thanks very much for any knowledge on this.  

As a lifelong western North Carolinian, the short answer is yes. Obviously there are lots of variables but the mountains - particularly the ridges above 4k ft will experience a high wind event. The bigger threat will be the extreme rainfall/ landslide risk if the setup holds. This is never a favorable track for the southern Appalachian region. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

As @BooneWXso greatly explained yes. Personally I live at 3500' and have witnessed this first hand. Yes the wind can be menacing but with the possibility of the way the models show the storm coming in the big risk is flooding and having the mountains really just ring out every bit of moisture crossing the mountains.  That's why we usually overperform in situations like this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the ceiling for this is less related to shear and more to how organized it can become before reaching the Gulf. While the environment in the Gulf doesn’t look pristine from an intensification standpoint, I think some of the higher end potential (not necessarily the GFS solutions but rather the middle ground between GFS/Euro) can be realized if this isn’t a broad gyre type system in that timeframe. 
The loop current in the Gulf is awfully impressive and I don’t know if moisture is going to be a huge inhibitor. The impact of shear could also be lessened if it’s aligned with storm motion. Just my .02.
SSTs are plenty warm for high MPI. As has been reiterated, size and timing for the broader surface circulation to spawn a tighter vortex in the NW Caribbean/NE Yucatán/Channel/WCuba and placement of mid-to-upper trough/ULL are the biggest factors on intensity. A few hundred miles could be a huge factor on the shear axis ranging from a sheared TC to a well-ventilated one. Obviously, the uptick in intensity ranges on the OPs and ensemble suites are troubling, but in this time-frame, pretty much anything is still on the table. There are still uncertainties on ridge vs upper trough placement as well; therefore, residents in the western Peninsula still need to watch closely regardless if there has been more focus resolved on the Panhandle region.
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

As a lifelong western North Carolinian, the short answer is yes. Obviously there are lots of variables but the mountains - particularly the ridges above 4k ft will experience a high wind event. The bigger threat will be the extreme rainfall/ landslide risk if the setup holds. This is never a favorable track for the southern Appalachian region. 

Thank you for your reply.  I have to admit that I asked for a selfish reason due to me recently moving to Beech Mountain full time a couple weeks ago.  I was curious as to what to expect and prepare for (power outages, flooding, etc).  As you know, Beech is over 5k ft elevation, so I figured it could potentially get rough here.  Thank you again 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gopack42 said:

Thank you for your reply.  I have to admit that I asked for a selfish reason due to me recently moving to Beech Mountain full time a couple weeks ago.  I was curious as to what to expect and prepare for (power outages, flooding, etc).  As you know, Beech is over 5k ft elevation, so I figured it could potentially get rough here.  Thank you again 

You should follow us in the mountains thread then. This currently looks like it could be significant for our area but a lot can and will happen from now to then. Check back in with this thread and you'll get all the info you need on this tropical system. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

As @BooneWXso greatly explained yes. Personally I live at 3500' and have witnessed this first hand. Yes the wind can be menacing but with the possibility of the way the models show the storm coming in the big risk is flooding and having the mountains really just ring out every bit of moisture crossing the mountains.  That's why we usually overperform in situations like this. 

Interesting.  I was here at Beech for the NC landfall last week, and things weren't that bad here other than some gusty winds and light/moderate rain off and on.  I was thinking this gulf storm could be far more impactful if it's a higher end storm.  

Just now, Met1985 said:

You should follow us in the mountains thread then. This currently looks like it could be significant for our area but a lot can and will happen from now to then. Check back in with this thread and you'll get all the info you need on this tropical system. 

Will do!  Thank you. 

• Like 1

Just now, gopack42 said:

Interesting.  I was here at Beech for the NC landfall last week, and things weren't that bad here other than some gusty winds and light/moderate rain off and on.  I was thinking this gulf storm could be far more impactful if it's a higher end storm.  

If you want to continue this conversation in the mountains thread I'll be glad to talk about the differences.

• Like 3

Landfall is expected around 96'ish hours. Tomer Burg's super ensemble probability density puts landfall near the Saint Joseph Bay and Saint Vincent Sound. This forecast is about 12 hours old now. I believe the UKMET is missing from the ensemble at least on this cycle, but the 12Z deterministic run is right now the center of the high probability corridor. 

r5v0fLh.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jburns said:

You can keep reading but your posting has been blocked for one week from today. If the storm dissipates sooner I may allow you to resume at that time. I’m sorry, but you were fairly warned.

Please do keep reading. You can learn a lot that will improve your future posts.  

It’s tough in a way since I recognize in “said poster” a little bit of what I saw in myself when I first started tracking weather; boundless enthusiasm, heat-of-the-moment that nowadays I look on as barely better than spam, and inexperience.

Unfortunately the inability to read the room and understand that clogging up thread after thread with the same sort of post is a disruption that brings down the quality of discussion and information isn’t acceptable, especially during peak season.

Early in the first years I was into weather, there was a poster on a forum I frequented with the username Tasmanian (Taz). His posts were somewhat similar in manner but far less spammy and engaged critical conversation and insight. He was a legend of the forum, and it’s not too late for “said poster” to learn a lesson.

Anyhow, going to be an active few days, and if the 18z GFS is correct potentially an active few weeks. 97L appears to be setting up as a Michael redux (potentially weaker and larger), but these systems are always full of surprises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

Definitely have my eyes towards this situation as should anyone from Mississippi to Sarasota. So many variables at this point. Here is the first cone of PT 14 (Michael) just to drive that point home.

b833dc7496fc92f9d4cf37566cb23f7b.jpg

A bit interesting they don’t have this reaching hurricane status anywhere in the gulf on this map. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

A bit interesting they don’t have this reaching hurricane status anywhere in the gulf on this map. 

This was the first cone for what became Michael—also a system that came from a CAG. 

But I should also add that Michael (obviously) was the exception to the rule. Few Atlantic CAG TCs become major hurricanes, for many of the reasons discussed here. 

• Like 2

Really impressive convection, shear is quite low over the blob as there is a potent anticyclone. The lower level circulation is likely still right off the NI/HD border but it could drift right, especially if it cannot fire off its own convection and alignment occurs to the East.

IMG_7984.jpeg

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene