• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Prolific rainfall amounts incoming for Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina into the Smokies due to upsloping. 

It's not often you see a Tropical Storm Warning in Asheville, NC. They're currently under a flood warning at the moment around Gatlinburg anyways, I cannot imagine how bad things are going to get when this roars through. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

It's not often you see a Tropical Storm Warning in Asheville, NC. They're currently under a flood warning at the moment around Gatlinburg anyways, I cannot imagine how bad things are going to get when this roars through. 

Wondering if Gatlinburg is west of the upslope zone on easterly flow. If so it might not be so bad there since from here on the rain will be coming on strong easterly flow and there will definitely be a downslope component in E TN. But places in NC/SC/GA that get heavy rain on that easterly flow-oh boy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seminole said:

Completely agree. The eastern eyewall is at 85N and 25N. The past 4 hours the track has had more of a easterly component than northerly.  

It's gained .6 degrees of latitude and has lost .2 degrees of longitude between the 12z nhc position and 14z recon center fix. It's moving nne. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

I think it is new that they have inland hurricane/TS watches and warnings. We will see more of this in the future.

• Weenie 2

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Hurricane Helene—105 mph/960 mb
6 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Latest VDM is closed eyewall. Off to the races now

If it holds this time, anyway. It keeps closing and opening. I think maybe 4 times now since yesterday it’s cycled between closed circular, open elliptical, and back. If it holds onto keeping it closed then we may get some prolific strengthening. If not I think it just remains on this steady state to slight strengthening route it’s been on. 

28 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

This storm has quite an extensive PRE. The center is still West of Naples but the rainfall is already pushing into Kentucky and West Virginia. Fresh water flooding will be a huge deal on top of the wind and immediate coastal impacts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

What do you mean? Are the grids not matching up the warning text?

I think things line up correctly with their overall track; just can't recall the PTC NWS office ever breaking things down on a county by county basis in this manner before. They are doing a good job of indicating the vast differences just 20-30 miles can make on intensity of the winds.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blizzard22 said:

Is anyone surprised they shifted the track a little west ?

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

It's shifted east 15-20 miles...

O2gxZFC.png

At the landfall point it’s a touch west of the 5am advisory but still east of the 11pm advisory. We shall see…this is a nowcast at this point. 

• Like 1

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene