• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The spaghetti plots there is just the operational models corrected for current position to get the best forecast possible. The euro gfs and the tropical models are all there getting the same adjustments. Its been done for years and it improves forecast error. 

These are yesterday's 5 day track and today's. It's barely moved. 

092336_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

download (23).png

You conveniently skipped the 7 p.m advisory which shifted so far west the outskirts of Panama City were in the cone. 

I think what is happening is what happens when relatively small differences make massive differences to your back yard. I.e. yes, there some shifts and uncertainty as there always is, but you haven't noticed them to the same degree because they are trivial when it isn't you. From a broad perspective this looks like a VERY well forecasted storm. Like, the track we are seeing now is more or less where it was forecast to end up several days ago, which is exactly what you want - tons of time to prepare, tons of time to raise awareness. That more or less matters much more if it's your back yard being affected more or less.

• Like 3
  • 100% 6

Just now, NeonPeon said:

I think what is happening is what happens when relatively small differences make massive differences to your back yard. I.e. yes, there some shifts and uncertainty as there always is, but you haven't noticed them to the same degree because from a broad perspective this looks like a VERY well forecasted storm. Like, the track we are seeing now is more or less where it was forecast to end up several days ago, which is exactly what you want - tons of time to prepare, tons of time to raise awareness. That more or less matters much more if it's your back yard being affected more or less.

I agree with this generally, but I certainly can't remember an operational Euro track being outside of the NHC cone less than 24 hours from landfall. 

This system has strengthened 30 kts since 5 am yesterday and the pace hasn’t slowed. And that’s while undergoing an ERC and developing a core. Now that’s out of the way, I only expect the rate of strengthening to increase through the day. Only 15 kts a major makes…
Not even sure that was an ERC. I just think Helene has many of the same characteristics as WPAC typhoons that form out of large monsoonal gyres. With a large RMW embedded in lower surface background pressure regime, it takes time for a large eyewall band to consolidate and strengthen enough to kill off the nascent core hot garbage cells before cranking may begin. Otherwise, all the ingredients are there. High OHC, mass divergence aloft, jet streak. Just takes time; and hopefully, enough that Helene will run out of it before deep pressure falls and gradient-induced RMW contraction will allow MPI to be approached prior to landfall.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • 100% 5

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

06z models were a bit fast relative to the 12z nhc center fix. So id expect a landfall a bit closer to 03z than 00z. For example, the gfs was a bit north of 25, while the center fix is 24.5. 

I have noticed that too. That is very bad for us in the foothills and mountains for NC. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The core of those is mostly dead on the current NHC track, wonder if they will keep shifting east though.  As you said, the ultimate LF point looks like its maybe on east end of that

The 06z gfs and 06z ecmwf shifted a bit northwest for what it's worth. 

Correction: southwest is more correct because they're a bit slower. 

• Like 2

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene