• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

I’ll be interested to see if the NHC waivers at all in their next update. It has a long ways to go to reach the forecast for how mediocre it looks now. Dry air is doing a number on it, and big storms never really may wrap up quickly. I have my doubts that this gets to cat 4 before land fall. 

• 100% 1

The last pass through the eye was 973 mb extrapolated...no change in the last 80 minutes. The evidence still points to another round of intensification later tonight. It might be worth noting that although RI probabilities dropped on the 0Z cycle they are still high climatologically speaking.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Dry air intrusions seem to be the story this season. That dry air made it into the core and really did a number on Helene getting organized. Francine struggled its whole life with dry air. Never could shake it. The high octane ocean and favorable outflow aloft will still support intensification but if the dry air can never fully be purged Helene won't hit her ceiling. Probably more a low end 3 maybe mid 3 at best. Regardless still will be devastating impact. Curious to see what will happen tonight over Loop Current. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

What are TC examples of low SLP with modest winds?

I was in the SW eye of Isabel and the pressure was 970mb and  peak wind gust for the event was 51 mph....though on the NE side of the huge eye they got absolutely hammered with gust into the 80-90 range at the same time...but in our case the pressure did not indicate our winds, in Fran for instance our pressure never got close to 970 but we gusted to 110..

• Like 3

Kinda getting Ida vibes. Ida kinda struggled/gradually intensified throughout the day before LF with dry air I believe (though this dry air is more significant I think) then exploded over like a 12 hour period. Granted, Ida was smaller than what Helene is/will be, thus exacerbating the rate of intensification. Also Helene has more time than what Ida did at this time.

5 minutes ago, Radtechwxman said:

Wouldn't that double structure support an EWRC happening? That will definitely make it tougher for RI to occur 

It may not be a ERC so much as the actual structuring of the eyewall finally coming together. Likewise, following ERCs (or the structuring finally being put together), hurricanes tend to take off. When these types of double bands develop and collapse to one, it tends to be a sign of health. Given the environment otherwise, it could be a rather ominous sign. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 3km NAM I think illustrates how the strength of this determines how fast it gets tugged., comes in at 908mb  The 00Z 3k NAM does not really begin pulling this NNW til it gets over 966mb in CNTRL GA.  In the end its maybe 50-60 miles east of the NHC track.   This is why I have been saying, Cat 3 or 4 at LF, the NHC track over N-CNTRL GA may be as much as 80 miles too far west.  If this somehow comes in as a 1 or 2 it might get pulled hard fast and something crazy like those extreme west tracks may happen like even 20 miles west of the NHC one into AL.  

• Like 3

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene