• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

Flying east over Pensacola now and then up the east side of the rain shield into Charlotte.  Pretty amazing, nothing but light chop.  I think the pilot said we were at 38k feet. 

Someone said earlier this will be Atlanta's Hugo.  Spot on.  Accelerating storm, intensifying storm will move far inland keeping ATL on the northeast quad.  Not much good news to be found with Helene.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Would love clarification on this -- I'm looking at 12z GFS/12z Euro/12z UK/12z ICon all showing landfall in Taylor County which is now outside or just on the eastern border of the cone. Are they all being discounted? 

I dont believe the icon is used whatsoever in the tropical model suite that nhc uses. And that 18z early cycle models shown here are being adjusted for current position which might pushing the tracks farther west than the raw 12z models. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

I dont believe the icon is used whatsoever in the tropical model suite that nhc uses. And that 18z early cycle models shown here are being adjusted for current position which might pushing the tracks farther west than the raw 12z models. 

Yeah, lol, almost didn't include ICON in my list, but it's a carbon copy of the other three. I guess I need to learn more about those spaghetti plots. They have all been consistently west of their operational brothers and sisters. 

1 minute ago, beanskip said:

Yeah, lol, almost didn't include ICON in my list, but it's a carbon copy of the other three. I guess I need to learn more about those spaghetti plots. They have all been consistently west of their operational brothers and sisters. 

If you think about it models specifically designed for the tropics should be more accurate than globals.  Why have them if not?

1 minute ago, LithiaWx said:

If you think about it models specifically designed for the tropics should be more accurate than globals.  Why have them if not?

I've found storms where they are not though.  We've seen tropicals where NHC is using the Euro dead on and basically ignoring those hurricane models

• Like 3

I'm just reading this thread as a non met, but here's my thought. Although everyone is honking at RI including the NHC I'm  surprised at how much dry air is still wrapping in this giant gyro. Ss of yet there is not a solid large CDO around the apparent center.  I will probably be wrong but maybe we will be lucky and only see a steady modest intensification instead of a 35 or 40mb drop over the next 24 hours.  

• Like 1
  • Crap 2
  • 100% 1

9 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

These are last years atlantic homogeneous track errors at 12, 24, and 36 hours which might have some relevance. Best are nhc, tropical concensus, and ecmwf

Screenshot_20240925-200142_Drive.jpg

Well, somebody in the top 3 is about to take a beating because the 12z Euro is so far east it's literally out of the NHC cone.

12zeurooutofcone.png

2 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Well, somebody in the top 3 is about to take a beating because the 12z Euro is so far east it's literally out of the NHC cone.

12zeurooutofcone.png

The 18z early cycle ecmwf was adjusted westward already. It's one of the blue models on the right edge of this map. That's the forecast that the error calculations would be using. 

09L_tracks_latest.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The 18z early cycle ecmwf was adjusted westward already. It's one of the blue models on the right edge of this map. That's the forecast that the error calculations would be using. 

09L_tracks_latest.png

Which brings me back to my now three-day old observation that the spaghetti models have almost always been well west of the original run. Which could be because the original runs have consistently been too far east. I know I sound argumentative -- not trying to be at all, just want to understand. I don't recall there being such consistent widepread adjustments between the operational runs and these early cycle runs. And esp. in one consistent direction. I guess we will find out!

9 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Which brings me back to my now three-day old observation that the spaghetti models have almost always been well west of the original run. Which could be because the original runs have consistently been too far east. I know I sound argumentative -- not trying to be at all, just want to understand. I don't recall there being such consistent widepread adjustments between the operational runs and these early cycle runs. And esp. in one consistent direction. I guess we will find out!

I think this is really good consensus, actually. These precise things always come down to a very small movements on final approach. 

• Like 1

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene