• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

1 hour ago, wthrmn654 said:

All recon missions are currently done, with teal having issues, I'm not sure there another recon flight till closer to morning I maybe wrong didn't look at the recon plans

[code]

FLIGHT THREE - TEAL 71        FLIGHT FOUR - NOAA 49
       A. 24/2330Z,25/0530Z          A. 25/1200Z
       B. AFXXX 0809A CYCLONE        B. NOAA9 0909A CYCLONE
       C. 24/2100Z                   C. 25/0530Z
       D. 20.5N 85.0W                D. NA
       E. 24/2300Z TO 25/0530Z       E. NA
       F. SFC TO 15,000 FT           F. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT
       G. FIX                        G. SYNOPTIC SURVEILLANCE
       H. NO WRA ACTIVATION          H. NO WRA ACTIVATION

FLIGHT FIVE - NOAA 43         FLIGHT SIX - TEAL 72
       A. 25/1200Z                   A. 25/1130Z,1730Z
       B. NOAA3 1009A CYCLONE        B. AFXXX 1109A CYCLONE
       C. 25/0800Z                   C. 25/0930Z
       D. 22.1N 86.0W                D. 22.0N 86.0W
       E. 25/0900Z TO 25/1500Z       E. 25/1100Z TO 25/1730Z
       F. SFC TO 15,000 FT           F. SFC TO 15,000 FT
       G. TAIL DOPPLER RADAR         G. FIX
       H. NO WRA ACTIVATION          H. NO WRA ACTIVATION

[/code]

So if I decoded that correctly next
Planned flight isn't for a few hours? 
Yes, but with flights scheduled through 12z tomorrow, they will likely wait on recon for in situ data for any upgrade unless something drastic occurs in satellite appears such as an eye forming within the CDO. I doubt that's going to happen in the next 12 hours. We probably wouldn't realistically see intensification result in an upgrade until 11AM at the earliest. Helene still has a lot of work to do tonight to organize its core and eyewall evolution. We also have Cancun radar to see this process evolve.
  • Like 1
  • 100% 1

Here's a radar loop out of Cancun. The low-level and mid-level circulations look fairly aligned, but a core eyewall band has yet to evolve. Helene just isn't there yet as far as hurricane intensity. I'd say it needs at least another 12-18 hours for the organization to ramp up a core. Perhaps the Yucatán landmass may also aid in the LLC tightening due to friction. Also, it's going to be very close that the LLC doesn't actually cross over extreme NE Yucatán.0723dcd29322060d46d10ae46a7cd4d0.gif

• Like 2
  • 100% 2

6 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Here's a radar loop out of Cancun. The low-level and mid-level circulations look fairly aligned, but a core eyewall band has yet to evolve. Helene just isn't there yet as far as hurricane intensity. I'd say it needs at least another 12-18 hours for the organization to ramp up a core. Perhaps the Yucatán landmass may also aid in the LLC tightening due to friction. Also, it's going to be very close that the LLC doesn't actually cross over extreme NE Yucatán.0723dcd29322060d46d10ae46a7cd4d0.gif

I agree and once that core is established I think that's when RI intensification phase will start

• 100% 1

1 minute ago, tiger_deF said:

The MLC has been starting to rotate pretty quickly in the past few frames. Now that the low and mid level centers are more or less aligned, think we are finally seeing the start of eyeball building, though there is a long way to go

IMG_7986.jpeg

Quite impressed with how quick it had organized this evening. Satellite appearance looks better each frame. That CDO evolving nicely. Now we need to see this reflected on a radar standpoint with eyewall development. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amped said:

Global models are showing the fastest deepening rate tomorrow night through Thursday morning.

Agreed. That's when it could possibly get over loop current and have really good outflow ventilation 

3 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Speculation on Twitter is that this thing is well ahead of schedule. Very interested to see what recon finds. 

Satellite appearance would agree. Main thing now is does center go onto Yucatan or stay over water

10 hours ago, GaWx said:

I’m extra worried that the tornado threat from this in especially the NE sector is going to be high. Is that true? Any thoughts? I haven’t heard much about that yet.

10 hours ago, LakeNormanStormin said:

Thought about that too being here in the NC Piedmont.

Wonder what effect the upper level low and stalled front will have on that.

I am planning on following the tornado and the high wind threats starting on Thursday in the Southeastern forum. This might be something to watch locally in that regional forum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It looks like the 0Z Euro has the center crossing Gwinnett County in N GA, E/NE of ATL.

The distance from landfall position to E of ATL is ~250 miles and it gets there in only 9 hours on the Euro. That works out to an average of a whopping 28 mph, among the fastest on record for that area! To compare, the very fast moving Opal averaged no more than ~25 mph. Eloise of 1975, which also brought damaging winds well inland to W GA, averaged at ~29 mph.

• Like 6

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene