• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

1 minute ago, TJW014 said:

Yep, a 15 mile jog to the NE now could keep the center off the Yucatan, prevents any potential disruption to the circulation, resulting in a possibly stronger system, etc.

Bingo.  Plus it puts the coc East of where the models have this storm located at this juncture.   But I promise to keep silent until the recon data arrives. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

NHC still splitting the difference between the hurricane ensemble and the other models.  I still think they'll end up too far west in the end by maybe 50-70 miles

For landfall position or also track up the Gulf?  Helene will push a lot of water as is, every degree East is impactful for surge up the FL West Coast.

4 minutes ago, Hotair said:

The satellite presentation suggests to me this is a large system.  I know eyeballing is not encouraged in this forum but has anyone here opined as to the relative size of Helene to other gulf storms in recent past?  

According to the NHC, Helene is in the 90% for storm size. So it's big 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hotair said:

The satellite presentation suggests to me this is a large system.  I know eyeballing is not encouraged in this forum but has anyone here opined as to the relative size of Helene to other gulf storms in recent past?  

Straight from the mouth of the NHC. Just read the 5 pm forecast discussion.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/242058.shtml

Of equal importance to the forecast intensity is Helene's forecast
size.  Helene's forecast radii are at the 90th percentile of
major hurricane size at similar latitudes, and therefore storm
surge, wind, and rainfall impacts will likely extend well
away from the center and outside the forecast cone, particularly on
the east side.
  • Like 4

Now the guidance that had a TC genesis with a very weak start are rapidly losing betting odds. Right initially…not translating well at the moment…

995 mb, sure, but looks very healthy from a satellite presentation standpoint. 

I wouldn’t be sticking with the more conservative guidance right now. Balance has shifted slightly in favor of more aggressive now…

• Like 3

No doubt about it.  COC is low located under the deep convection.  Classic satellite presentation (time sensitive before sun sets) and outflow is getting better over the eastern semicircle, especially the NE quadrant.  Pressures are falling and I believe this is the start of Helene pulling it together.

https://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/PSUGOES_MESO1/loop180.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Question that I've wondered for a while but never asked (and not trying to get too sidetracked but this storm seems like a great example to bring it up with). 

Why is it with some of these storms, and with Helene being such a big storm are there huge breakups in the rain bands. As a novice onlooker I see the projected radar paths shown by local Mets and the national shows and for example where I am at about 25 miles inland near Tampa it looks like while we get some outer bands and some more as the center comes a little closer due west but a lot of breaks in between the bands so we really don't get much at all on the rain side.  whereas with other storms it seems much lusher (I can't think of a better word at the moment) and the rain is more consistent throughout the storm passing. Is this something with the off-shore radar or are there just big gaps in where the rain is outside of the core? 

Sorry for the newb question but always been curious and figured we aren't into storm mode just yet with this one. Thanks for the feedback 

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene