• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Major Hurricane Helene

WxWatcher007

The Michael comparisons can continue. Extremely diffluent ventilation with the interaction with the trough to the north and east and movement in line with shear vector. This isn’t going to be far from Michael intensity wise in a few hours. Satellite presentations are almost identical at this stage before landfall. The dueling VHTs is a menacing look and absolutely causing these rapid pressure falls. Just wow. Those mesovortices are beautiful to watch on radar, though the destructive potential increases with every radar update 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hugo got a nice boost from the gulf stream on its way in, so it's similar with respect to the fact it was intensifying as well....it was a cat 2 after interaction with PR.

Yep, rode it right into the coast. Similarly scary situation unfolding now although in a mord sparsely populated area than Charleston with the core upon approach, hopefully.

My God, look at far east those crazy winds extend, not sure how much of that mixes down to  surface but I hope people run for there lives if they haven't yet! 

And to note, that is the buoy by the center, looks like it will go just east of it!

image.thumb.png.840f85a342cfe198fc3806187b59cd27.png

1 minute ago, kat5hurricane said:

Yep, rode it right into the coast. Similarly scary situation unfolding now although in a mord sparsely populated area than Charleston with the core upon approach, hopefully.

Well, Mclellanville was fairly sparsely populated, too...Charleston was speared, relatively speaking....like Miami in Andrew.

• Like 2

Always so fascinating to watch things unfold like this. I can see the low level strato cu near sfc level in the eye when zooming in now. Pressures continue to fall on my brother's Davis in Fort Myers even though the storm continues to move away.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Blizzard22 said:

The Weather Channel just showed up a map showing 75-90 mph wind gusts for Atlanta tomorrow morning.

Yeah I heard that.  Makes no sense as just an hour or two ago they showed 50 which to me makes most sense and that might not happen til 10-11Z when the W-NW sting jet gets them 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah I heard that.  Makes no sense as just an hour or two ago they showed 50 which to me makes most sense and that might not happen til 10-11Z when the W-NW sting jet gets them 

Agree with this. Meanwhile someone from VLD-MCN is going to gust 100+ I’m starting to think. 

• Like 1

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Agree with this. Meanwhile someone from VLD-MCN is going to gust 100+ I’m starting to think. 

Note to add that once this gets into that part of Georgia and VLD northward, we start getting into some pretty densely populated areas (Warner Robbins, Macon, Albany, Athens) 

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Note to add that once this gets into that part of Georgia and VLD northward, we start getting into some pretty densely populated areas (Warner Robbins, Macon, Albany, Athens) 

Anything like that needs to be east of center 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

My God, look at far east those crazy winds extend, not sure how much of that mixes down to  surface but I hope people run for there lives if they haven't yet! 

And to note, that is the buoy by the center, looks like it will go just east of it!

This is extremely important and worrying for surge. Massive hurricane force wind field combined with coastal geometry could easily yield 20+ft surge in spots. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Helene
7 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

This looks bad for Tampa bay even without the eye being very close. 

• Like 2

Just now, TheDreamTraveler said:

Basically the worst case scenario is unfolding and we still have a few more hours to go.

It is the worst case scenario except for missing big population centers with the worst of it.

Not much help to the people who are in its path, of course, and there are still many.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Anything like that needs to be east of center 

100%, question will be where does it go after LF which is our biggest question. We pretty much know VLD will be near the eastern eyewall, but will see straighten up and move more due N or hold that NNE heading. 

huge implications for the 75 corridor depending on that outcome. 

• Like 1