• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Francine

salbers

Each night the convection has waned significantly but the model signal has increased a touch. Best chance of genesis would be the ICON if this shifted south this weekend before getting pulled north. Clearly it needs space and time. 

Is there a parent web site to the ATCF page? I'm having some challenges with the direct link.

35kt is enough for a tropical depression though it may have yet to be classified as such.

34 minutes ago, salbers said:

Is there a parent web site to the ATCF page? I'm having some challenges with the direct link.

35kt is enough for a tropical depression though it may have yet to be classified as such.

Looks like nothing at 5pm from NHC 

• Thanks 1

18Z GFS and ICON ensembles both show an uptick in members with hurricanes, especially with a farther offshore track. There are good jet exit region dynamics for ventilation but with increasing shear prior to landfall, and dry air still looks to be an issue into early next week. It will be an interesting system to watch meteorologically due to the likely merger of the frontal-origin and AEW-origin surface waves. HAFS and other hurricane models are probably not to be trusted until this process is sorted out. 
IMG_5492.thumb.png.081aae0a3a7e83dc61c472e645879786.png

• Like 2

I expect this thread to get more active in a few days. It’ll need a title change though as the NHC will likely designate a new invest (if the merged area becomes invest worthy).

Very interesting how the model signal has evolved over the last week—from focusing solely on the western Caribbean wave to focusing solely on 90L to now kind of combining the residual vorticity of the two. 

• Like 2

The 00z op GFS continues the signal that started in large part with the ICON.

What was 90L dives down into the Bay of Campeche as our western Caribbean wave (which started as part of the monsoon trough a week ago) reaches the BoC. Vorticity merges and organizes into a weak low. A trough/front pulls the coalesced low NW and then NNE into the northern Gulf next week. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe9137r0ineewc542p1tg3

This is far from a lock to develop and a higher end system is even less likely at this time, but I think the key at least on recent guidance is that the potential low gets pulled north before running out of time to organize. Anywhere from the Gulf coast of Mexico to Louisiana should watch this one imo. 

• Like 2

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 AM EDT Sat Sep 7 2024

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Southwestern Gulf of Mexico:
A tropical wave over the Bay of Campeche is producing disorganized 
showers and thunderstorms. An area of low pressure is forecast to 
develop while the wave interacts with a frontal boundary during 
the next couple of days. Environmental conditions are forecast to 
be conducive for development, and a tropical depression could form 
during the early or middle part of next week while the system moves 
slowly northwestward to northward over the southwestern Gulf of 
Mexico.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent. 
* Formation chance through 7 days...medium...60 percent.

14 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

GFS is screaming a hurricane Nicholas redux with the BOC wave/trough interaction 

Verbatim it’s a good environment for intensification on the GFS. Has to stay offshore though. I’m sure the Euro will show nothing. :lol: 

14 minutes ago, salbers said:

The RAP shows this merger:

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?rh=2024090715&fh=loop&dpdt=&mc=&r=gom&p=sfcwind_mslp&m=rap

I'll update the thread title to mention 90L & 91L.

That’s a really good illustration. Thanks for sharing. You can see how the concave nature of the BoC may be assisting with organization as 90L’s residual vorticity shifts south.

ZTwdERm.jpeg

https://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/atlantic/movies/wg8vor5/wg8vor5_loop.html

• Like 1

I do wonder how much room there is for an eastward trend or sharper hook. The track forecast looks like it could be pretty sensitive until we have a well defined system. I’d imagine faster/stronger will get carried more efficiently, which could also make the upper air conditions more favorable as well. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I do wonder how much room there is for an eastward trend or sharper hook. The track forecast looks like it could be pretty sensitive until we have a well defined system. I’d imagine faster/stronger will get carried more efficiently, which could also make the upper air conditions more favorable as well. 

If I’m a betting man I’m thinking eastern LA. I like the idea of a sharper hook east

0Z UKMET: TS landfall Wed (9/11) evening C LA; moves NE to far E TN, where it dissipates Fri night (9/13-4)

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER  36 HOURS
              FORECAST POSITION AT T+ 36 : 20.5N  94.4W

LEAD                 CENTRAL     MAXIMUM WIND
      VERIFYING TIME    TIME   POSITION   PRESSURE (MB)  SPEED (KNOTS)
      --------------    ----   --------   -------------  -------------
    1200UTC 09.09.2024   36  20.5N  94.4W     1005            40
    0000UTC 10.09.2024   48  21.8N  93.5W     1006            36
    1200UTC 10.09.2024   60  23.1N  95.0W     1005            31
    0000UTC 11.09.2024   72  24.7N  94.0W     1001            30
    1200UTC 11.09.2024   84  26.9N  93.3W      998            38
    0000UTC 12.09.2024   96  29.2N  91.6W      996            36
    1200UTC 12.09.2024  108  31.8N  89.6W      999            32
    0000UTC 13.09.2024  120  32.9N  88.8W     1002            20
    1200UTC 13.09.2024  132  34.4N  87.9W     1006            16
    0000UTC 14.09.2024  144  36.6N  84.0W     1008            14
    1200UTC 14.09.2024  156              CEASED TRACKING

———————————-

0Z Euro: landfall W LA at 1001 mb TS on Thu 9/12; significantly weaker than 12Z but much stronger than yesterday’s 0Z, which had very little

———

TS landfall in LA at is my best guess as of now

• Like 1

Not much time to write but this morning we’re likely seeing 91L begin to organize at a more deliberate pace.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe918hm6011g8ltwnbbjee

For the first time in a while given the stability issues we’ve had across the basin, this invest is producing deep and persistent convection, a critical element for future development and structural organization. 

The residual energy from 90L continues to dive down into the BoC and is merging with what was the weak Caribbean wave we were tracking for a week. 

https://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/atlantic/movies/wg8vor5/wg8vor5_loop.html

Although it is trying to organize, I’m not sure we have a TC quite yet. Recon is scheduled for later and by then we may have something if the convective trends continue.

I would caution however, that this system while currently in a conducive environment will need to battle more potentially hostile conditions including shear and dry air at some point.

5NqTxv4.jpeg

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91lg1huzxd47bgisops7

For now, however, in the race with 92L to break the historic inactive streak, 91L is closest to getting a name. NHC telegraphing that advisories are coming at some point today. 

• Like 2

^not sure about the inhibiting factors.  The models are showing the deepening fast as it accelerates NE.  The fast NE motion might yield a more positive interaction with the jet streak to its north (less shear)

• Like 2

I don’t have the charts to prove this, but this feels a hell of a lot like the setup of hurricane opal (but further west).  Cyclone forms deep in the BOC and gets pulled north/northeast.  I’m bullish on this one.  I actually like the chances of a major out of this.  The quality train continues

1 minute ago, Normandy said:

I don’t have the charts to prove this, but this feels a hell of a lot like the setup of hurricane opal (but further west).  Cyclone forms deep in the BOC and gets pulled north/northeast.  I’m bullish on this one.  I actually like the chances of a major out of this.  The quality train continues

The 12z GFS seems to agree with you. 

image.thumb.png.594bcca6dd1e03701f22e364f0b81cfb.png

• Like 1