Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Francine

salbers

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Satellite and radar don’t look that impressive to me. Seems like some shear and dry air is impinging on the southern side of the eye wall. It made a decent run overnight anyways.

Went entirely as anticipated with a brief window last night during which the winds jumped up to be more in line with the minimum central pressure. Should come in as a marginal cane, but like pope said...main threats are associated with water.

• Like 4

Francine is following the script here. I do not expect any surprises. As has been much discussed, with mid-level flow tilting the vortex and advecting in pockets of dry continental airmass into the circulation, any further strengthening should be held in check. Pressure falls have leveled off and might even be rising some now. I wouldn't be surprised if the core weakens slightly prior to landfall. Obviously, flash flooding and surge are the prominent dangers here. I don't think sustained winds or gusts will be more than what seasoned Louisianans are able to handle. Not downplaying, it's still a hurricane. But this region has seen much worse in previous years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 100% 5

40 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Francine is following the script here. I do not expect any surprises. As has been much discussed, with mid-level flow tilting the vortex and advecting in pockets of dry continental airmass into the circulation, any further strengthening should be held in check. Pressure falls have leveled off and might even be rising some now. I wouldn't be surprised if the core weakens slightly prior to landfall. Obviously, flash flooding and surge are the prominent dangers here. I don't think sustained winds or gusts will be more than what seasoned Louisianans are able to handle. Not downplaying, it's still a hurricane. But this region has seen much worse in previous years.

Yeah as we get closer everything looks…ho hum. Even the track has settled I think. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It won’t close off fully, but the parts of the eyewall that are there are looking quite sharp on radar.

kV8qaOt.png

One small error I may have made was to overestimate how much the degradation of the prelandfall environment will weaken the system...as a cat 1 hurricane can sustain itself in far less than ideal conditions and I could have been more mindful of that. I could see it coming in a bit stronger than my 75mph LF call, even though I got the max intensity correct.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

One small error I may have made was to overestimate how much the degradation of the prelandfall environment will weaken the system...as a cat 1 hurricane can sustain itself in far less than ideal conditions and I could have been more mindful of that. I could see it coming in a bit stronger than my 75mph LF call, even though I got the max intensity correct.

Maybe, but will those potentially high winds will be reflected in ground truth.  Weakening systems at landfall have a more difficult time of getting max winds to mix down to the ground.  Let's see what the obs. show at landfall.  Still believe surge will be most impactful parameter.  There will of course still be wind damage and power outages.  Fortunately the large areas of marsh land along the LA coast will absorb most of the surge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Like Manda said, those higher winds still have to verify at the surface and I’m skeptical of that if the system is leveling out or weakening at landfall later. The inner core did do a good job of prohibiting dry air entrainment this morning to allow for this deep convection to persist, but that’ll become harder as the day progresses. 

I can see an official landfall of 90mph, but few sustained obs of 75-80 and scattered gusts thereabouts. 

9 minutes ago, Martytdx said:

Newbie here, but what's up with that secondary vortex/circulation coming in from the northeast?!? 

I don’t see a secondary vortex, I think that’s the eyewall itself just becoming better defined partially. 

15 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Maybe, but will those potentially high winds will be reflected in ground truth.  Weakening systems at landfall have a more difficult time of getting max winds to mix down to the ground.  Let's see what the obs. show at landfall.  Still believe surge will be most impactful parameter.  There will of course still be wind damage and power outages.  Fortunately the large areas of marsh land along the LA coast will absorb most of the surge.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Like Manda said, those higher winds still have to verify at the surface and I’m skeptical of that if the system is leveling out or weakening at landfall later. The inner core did do a good job of prohibiting dry air entrainment this morning to allow for this deep convection to persist, but that’ll become harder as the day progresses. 

I can see an official landfall of 90mph, but few sustained obs of 75-80 and scattered gusts thereabouts. 

I don’t see a secondary vortex, I think that’s the eyewall itself just becoming better defined partially. 

Eh....I verify based on official intensity. No doubt in my mind we aren't seeing sustained 90mph sustained winds anywhere on land...even 75, I doubt.

• Like 3

Definitely a potent eyewall, what one would expect for a mid-upper tier cat 1. Of all the land-impacting storms of recent- this one has followed the script almost perfectly with very few forecast surprises both from track or intensity. Kind of refreshing to have an “easy” forecast for once

• Like 3
  • 100% 2

image.thumb.png.8d8199dab38c959e1d75c5b60f9fac67.png

Sat Data has weakening flag now on,  nhc also mentions shear is now starting to show its effects too. 

Nhc issued an extra update at 11 am (12 pm est)

An oil platform north of the center recently reported sustained 
winds of 85 mph (137 km/h) and a gust of 101 mph  (163 km/h) 
at an elevation of 98 ft (30 m).
  • Like 1

Reports from Air Force Reserve and NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft
indicate that Francine has changed little in intensity during the
last several hours.  Flight-level winds from the aircraft 
and a northwest eyewall dropsonde suggest that the maximum 
sustained surface winds are near 80 kt, and the central pressure is 
near 976 mb.  The aircraft have been reporting a large elliptical 
eye open to the south, which matches the depiction of the eye in 
WSR-88D Doppler radar data from Lake Charles.  Satellite imagery 
does show that the cloud pattern is becoming elongated from 
northeast to southwest due to the increasing effects of 
southwesterly shear.

The impending shear impacts are mitigated due to storm relative motion. As long as Francene maintains a significant easterly component to track, that should maintain the case--more or less steady state in terms of surface pressure. I believe the weakening will coincide with the forecasted northerly recurve. The key of course, is when that exactly occurs, before or after landfall...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The impending shear impacts are mitigated due to storm relative motion. As long as Francene maintains a significant easterly component to track, that should maintain the case--more or less steady state in terms of surface pressure. I believe the weakening will coincide with the forecasted northerly recurve. The key of course, is when that exactly occurs, before or after landfall...

Yeah I thought that was pretty well established a couple days ago, that a stronger storm could actually be enhanced by what on paper is shear. You think more of a net neutral impact overall though?

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

1 hour ago, wthrmn654 said:

image.thumb.png.8d8199dab38c959e1d75c5b60f9fac67.png

Sat Data has weakening flag now on,  nhc also mentions shear is now starting to show its effects too. 

Nhc issued an extra update at 11 am (12 pm est)

An oil platform north of the center recently reported sustained 
winds of 85 mph (137 km/h) and a gust of 101 mph  (163 km/h) 
at an elevation of 98 ft (30 m).

Usually mixed signals with respect to intensity trend in hurricanes are indicative of essentially steady state.

• Like 1