• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Central PA Autumn 2024

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I doubt we break out the heat until it is mid 30's or lower.    45 outside means 65 inside. 

That and there was no wind last night. My house was built in the late 70's, so there's no Tyvek wrap. Even though I've replaced windows and doors as well as sealing and insulating the attic, wind can seap in through the walls. Plus, I have a chimney for the oil heat and that makes air infiltration easier by creating an exit. Not that fresh air in the house is a bad thing, but it does allow the house to cool quicker on windy days/nights than on calm.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

That and there was no wind last night. My house was built in the late 70's, so there's no Tyvek wrap. Even though I've replaced windows and doors as well as sealing and insulating the attic, wind can seap in through the walls. Plus, I have a chimney for the oil heat and that makes air infiltration easier by creating an exit. Not that fresh air in the house is a bad thing, but it does allow the house to cool quicker on windy days/nights than on calm.

We actually spent 4K and replaced our old oil furnace chimney, which was a metal Faux chimney, with this Class A one.  This is not our house, but it looks like this.  Supposedly lets less air in and out especially when the furnace is on.    We definitely hear the wind less.  We keep our real brick chimney damper shut when not used.    We had a door blower test done (you probably did too) and found where the issues were.    When the damper was open it was incredible what it pulled in.  The electrical outlets were also allowing a lot in from in between the walls so they all have those children safety plugs on now which cut that way down though not a seal.    Our house is mid 60's.   I love it.  Not a fan of the new house look (no offense to anyone.)   I so wanted to do the seal in the attic instead of blown in, but our roof guy said that if we do, the 50-year roof warranty is gone. 

image.jpeg.76298681c84f6371e67332e0f5f95335.jpeg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We actually spent 4K and replaced our old oil furnace chimney, which was a metal Faux chimney, with this Class A one.  This is not our house, but it looks like this.  Supposedly lets less air in and out especially when the furnace is on.    We definitely hear the wind less.  We keep our real brick chimney damper shut when not used.    We had a door blower test done (you probably did too) and found where the issues were.    When the damper was open it was incredible what it pulled in.  The electrical outlets were also allowing a lot in from in between the walls so they all have those children safety plugs on now which cut that way down though not a seal.    Our house is mid 60's.   I love it.  Not a fan of the new house look (no offense to anyone.)   I so wanted to do the seal in the attic instead of blown in, but our roof guy said that if we do, the 50-year roof warranty is gone. 

image.jpeg.76298681c84f6371e67332e0f5f95335.jpeg

Nice. I  never checked into getting an updated chimney. We have a brick chimney, but I'm sure they would have something to fit it. I didn't get the blower test because I  figured I  had everything sealed. Putting in the foam seals behind the electrical plates and childproof safety plugs on the outlets was one of the first things I  did when we bought the place as I  had done that back in my MD house. I'm surprised to hear about the roof warranty issue. I just had the insulators seal all the gaps in the attic floor with foam, whether electrical outlets, pipes, wire holes, ceiling joints, etc. before blowing in the insulation. It's not 6 or 8 inches of foam like the strictly foam insulators do.

I'll have to check into an upgraded chimney flue. I know there's a wind damper on the flue pipe near the furnace itself, but there's probably more that can be done. Question then is how much. Honestly, my motivation is being cost effective as opposed to some misplaced noble cause. Lol

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I doubt we break out the heat until it is mid 30's or lower.    45 outside means 65 inside. 

My gas fireplace is just a 15 minute run to take the chill off in our family room. “Lots of windows”

I try and hold off firing my coal stove till November.

Fog is gone and the sun made its appearance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Nice. I  never checked into getting an updated chimney. We have a brick chimney, but I'm sure they would have something to fit it. I didn't get the blower test because I  figured I  had everything sealed. Putting in the foam seals behind the electrical plates and childproof safety plugs on the outlets was one of the first things I  did when we bought the place as I  had done that back in my MD house. I'm surprised to hear about the roof warranty issue. I just had the insulators seal all the gaps in the attic floor with foam, whether electrical outlets, pipes, wire holes, ceiling joints, etc. before blowing in the insulation. It's not 6 or 8 inches of foam like the strictly foam insulators do.

I'll have to check into an upgraded chimney flue. I know there's a wind damper on the flue pipe near the furnace itself, but there's probably more that can be done. Question then is how much. Honestly, my motivation is being cost effective as opposed to some misplaced noble cause. Lol

This pic is what my roof installer (just had roof put on Sept 2023) said was not a good idea for 2 reasons.

1)  The roof manufacturer can claim it was not installed correctly whether it was or not.  I would have loved to get this done as my AC unit is in the attic so this would have sealed off that space and made it easier on the air going through the ducts.   2) When you go to sell a home, many inspectors will fail you for this as they cannot see the rafters and assesses the inside of the roof.    Sounds like you are way ahead of me on some stuff in sealing the area around the wall.  We had the ceiling gaps sealed too before the blow in.

Also, check out this article from England:

https://www.leadingpropertylawyers.co.uk/spray-foam-insulation-continues-to-make-homes-unsellable/

Trends: Sealing Knowledge of Spray Foam Insulation - QUALIFIED REMODELER

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

That would probably make the barrier islands go away for good for a 20-30 mile stretch.  Doubtful ...just model fodder.   Downtown Tampa would be destroyed. 

13 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

Tampa is screwed.

Definitely a worst case scenario if it were to verify as depicted this morning...

Tampa Hurricane.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

77 yesterday afternoon, 46 this morning. 

Impressive, especially without the benefit of a frontal passage.

Dry air ftw. Finally, those little gnats that fly around when it's humid in September, mainly during the evening, are gone.