• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Central PA Autumn 2024

Installed new HVAC system in the original part of my house on Saturday. Ducted mini-split heat pump. Will be much more efficient then the 30 year old AC unit. My forced hot air oil will now become backup only, but doubt it will ever run. We use to burn less than 50 gallons a year during heating season. i'm looking for a serious reduction in my elec bill. 

18 minutes ago, anotherman said:

I can’t believe that I looked at the forecast for the Saturday Penn State game and there is now rain in there.

i almost wish i was going to this game. Place will be rocking. 

• Like 1

Installed new HVAC system in the original part of my house on Saturday. Ducted mini-split heat pump. Will be much more efficient then the 30 year old AC unit. My forced hot air oil will now become backup only, but doubt it will ever run. We use to burn less than 50 gallons a year during heating season. i'm looking for a serious reduction in my elec bill. 

I’m going, but was really hoping for clear weather. Bringing my son and his friend.

9 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have proudly had my AC run during every month of the year. Last winter I had my heat on less than 20 days/nights.

My electric bill is usually in the $115-$140 range year round. Gas fluctuates a lot more.

Those are cheap bills.  Mine is in the mid to upper 200's both mid-winter and summer.   My parents will push $500 in the winter.  They are 100% electric.   Just insulated and sealed so hoping for a reduction this winter. 

• Like 1

Showers are likely today for much of the area with some spots seeing up to a 0.25" of rain. Temps will remain below normal today as they have for 15 of the first 25 days of September. At least some shower chances will continue through Saturday but no complete wash outs in the forecast.

image.png.d69f98c66970efcdd0e8e505f1822b4a.png

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Those are cheap bills.  Mine is in the mid to upper 200's both mid-winter and summer.   My parents will push $500 in the winter.  They are 100% electric.   Just insulated and sealed so hoping for a reduction this winter. 

Good to know your parents, Abraham and Sarah are still kicking it well into their 5,000s seeing as you're 80 and all lol.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

My oil furnace was installed by prior owner in 2018 and ac in 2017. I  was seriously thinking about getting a heat pump or heat pump and gas furnace, but the numbers after estimates don't work i.e. $ savings vs. cost. So I'm just going to wait for them to die before replacing them, providing I don't die first! Lol

The thing I don't like is that the oil furnace requires a chimney vent, so when it gets windy, even though there's a draft damper on the system, there's still a draft effect as from any chimney. My house is sealed well, with that the only weak spot, so I hoped to fix it but it just makes no sense financially for the little bit of air infiltration from the chimney. So the final plan is to replace the ac unit with a heat pump should the ac fail, which would save on oil with temps above 35 degrees.

20 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

My oil furnace was installed by prior owner in 2018 and ac in 2017. I  was seriously thinking about getting a heat pump or heat pump and gas furnace, but the numbers after estimates don't work i.e. $ savings vs. cost. So I'm just going to wait for them to die before replacing them, providing I don't die first! Lol

The thing I don't like is that the oil furnace requires a chimney vent, so when it gets windy, even though there's a draft damper on the system, there's still a draft effect as from any chimney. My house is sealed well, with that the only weak spot, so I hoped to fix it but it just makes no sense financially for the little bit of air infiltration from the chimney. So the final plan is to replace the ac unit with a heat pump should the ac fail, which would save on oil with temps above 35 degrees.

I would hope your AC would last until at least 2035- 2040.    You will be on Atomix hit list by then. 

• Like 1

A very discouraging 2nd half of the season aside, the O's are in. 

Last year they pretty much went wire to wire, won over 100 games, and then promptly got swept in 3  games right on out of the playoffs. Seems like in recent years (2022 Phillies, 2023 Diamondbacks) that it's almost better to make a run being a Wild Card. Let the Yankees win the division and let's see if this team can get something done with lower expectations on them. One thing's for certain - they won't do worse in the postseason compared to last year. 

Unlike last year, no one is talking favorably about the Orioles. I kind of like that.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Last year they pretty much went wire to wire, won over 100 games, and then promptly got swept in 3  games right on out of the playoffs. Seems like in recent years (2022 Phillies, 2023 Diamondbacks) that it's almost better to make a run being a Wild Card. Let the Yankees win the division and let's see if this team can get something done with lower expectations on them. One thing's for certain - they won't do worse in the postseason compared to last year. 

Unlike last year, no one is talking favorably about the Orioles. I kind of like that.

100% Phillies now win the division and one game for a first round bye. I don't like the off week. It does nothing for starting pitchers. Your in good hands this year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

I'm fortunate that my family is talented. We started at 7 am and had it pumping  air by 1pm, which included tearing out the old and installing new, plus the duct work modification from old to new.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

As a lifelong Yankees fan and Oriole hater, I  can only wish the worst for your team. Lol:tomato:

p.s. I used the most obnoxious emoji I could find in keeping with the reputation of Yankees fans!

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

I'm fortunate that my family is talented. We started at 7 am and had it pumping  air by 1pm, which included tearing out the old and installing new, plus the duct work modification from old to new.

I do most of the improvements in my home from replacing windows, doors, insulation, hardwood floors, moldings, etc. But I have no experience with heating and cooling beyond sealing and insulating ducts. If I did, I'd probably just go with a Goodman for $3-4K instead of the +$10K I am looking at getting it installed by a contractor. 

I got spoiled back in my MD house by having an employee of the HVAC company replace my original heat pump on the side and then having a client's husband replace it again (I was in the house for 33 years.) Up here, I'm just another "mark" the HVAC contractors.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Noted.

I won't say much else. I see no reason to engage. Not how I roll. 

Lol. 1 thing I don't do is fight over sports. All sports have become an arm of the corporate entertainment industry.

In the end, it means nothing to me. Last time I  paid to attend a baseball/football game was in 1979 at Memorial stadium, and even then I got a college student discount. The Orioles were playing the Angels and Frank Tanana was pitching. He was throwing nothing but aspirins at the Orioles, who couldn't touch them. I think it was in the 3rd inning when he had to leave for some injury. Orioles ended up winning because of it. :fulltilt: