• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Central PA Autumn 2024

48 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I did NOT turn the heat on during the cold snap.  Got down to 63 in the house.  A little chilly but worth the savings :-) 

My brother-in-law's wife is from Western PA and she does not allow heat before Thanksgiving. He must really love her after over 30 years of that.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I did NOT turn the heat on during the cold snap.  Got down to 63 in the house.  A little chilly but worth the savings :-) 

We hit 64 yesterday morning but it's a nice and toasty 66 inside this morning. Might be able to make it to November without switching on the furnace. (I wish our new system was a heat pump that could automatically switch on a set temp but I digress .... stupid hvac room isn't near an exterior wall for new exhaust line purposes grrr). 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

We hit 64 yesterday morning but it's a nice and toasty 66 inside this morning. Might be able to make it to November without switching on the furnace. (I wish our new system was a heat pump that could automatically switch on a set temp but I digress .... stupid hvac room isn't near an exterior wall for new exhaust line purposes grrr). 

At this point we will be ACing well into Nov.  Some transient cold shots in between the heat on the MR models but not as cold as this last week.   As much as I love that my house stayed in the low to mid 60's, it will heat up fast when it is 75-80 out. 

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

At this point we will be ACing well into Nov.  Some transient cold shots in between the heat on the MR models but not as cold as this last week.   As much as I love that my house stayed in the low to mid 60's, it will heat up fast when it is 75-80 out. 

If you need ac in November, you may want to check to see your attic ventilation is adequate. Whether 1 or 2 story, with the sun pretty weak in November, an adequately ventilated attic along with proper insulation (which I know you have), should stay cool enough unless you prefer a morgue climate.

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

If you need ac in November, you may want to check to see your attic ventilation is adequate. Whether 1 or 2 story, with the sun pretty weak in November, an adequately ventilated attic along with proper insulation (which I know you have), should stay cool enough unless you prefer a morgue climate.

To me, it does not really matter what month it is, if it is 80 out I am putting the AC on.    I can feel ITT coming for this post as well.  LOL. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

75 in November and I would have to run the heat in my house to keep it at a comfortable temperature [assuming a chilly overnight].

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

75 in November and I would have to run the heat in my house to keep it at a comfortable temperature [assuming a chilly overnight].

This makes sense considering your head is firmly lodged up your ass, there's a 23.6°F difference during the small window of time youre exposed to a non-rectal environment. 

• 100% 2

10 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

We have this convo 2-3 times a year.  Some people keep their house in the mid to upper 60's all year, others warmer.  The 60's people are running their AC much of the year.  I fall in between myself.  60's at night, 71ish at day.  78 out is going to force my AC to come on in January.   @mitchnick is probably right in that something is not right with my setup but the house is old so I try the best I can.  The fact that it only got down to 63 despite being 33 outside suggests it is holding heat fairly well. But hard to maintain 71 when 75-80 out. 

• Like 1

Great week, next week mid-70's and nice!

Today
Sunny, with a high near 67. North wind around 7 mph.
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 39. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind.
Saturday Night
Clear, with a low around 39. Calm wind.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 72. Northwest wind 3 to 6 mph.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 46.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 75.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 51.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 76.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 52.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 52.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 63.
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

To me, it does not really matter what month it is, if it is 80 out I am putting the AC on.    I can feel ITT coming for this post as well.  LOL. 

When I  bought this house, I  checked out the attic more closely than the 2-bit inspector we hired. Even though we had aluminum ventilated soffit, they never cut holes in the plywood soffit underneath. I realized that when I  didn't see any sunlight coming in around the front and rear of the house; in fact, they didn't do it for any other soffits around the house. It made a noticeable difference once I got things opened up. That's the only reason why I mentioned it.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We have this convo 2-3 times a year.  Some people keep their house in the mid to upper 60's all year, others warmer.  The 60's people are running their AC much of the year.  I fall in between myself.  60's at night, 71ish at day.  78 out is going to force my AC to come on in January. 

You forgot to mention what the cheapskates would do.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

When I  bought this house, I  checked out the attic more closely than the 2-bit inspector we hired. Even though we had aluminum ventilated soffit, they never cut holes in the plywood soffit underneath. I realized that when I  didn't see any sunlight coming in around the front and rear of the house; in fact, they didn't do it for any other soffits around the house. It made a noticeable difference once I got things opened up. That's the only reason why I mentioned it.

You forgot to mention what the cheapskates would do.

It would be tough for many changes up there now.  It is a newspapery mess!   In theory since the attic is now sealed as to entry points in the ceiling, I wonder if my weak spots are more my windows.  We also have an addition on the house which is full of windows all around, similar to an all season room, and it gets really warm back there on sunny days. 

39 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It would be tough for many changes up there now.  It is a newspapery mess!   In theory since the attic is now sealed as to entry points in the ceiling, I wonder if my weak spots are more my windows.  We also have an addition on the house which is full of windows all around, similar to an all season room, and it gets really warm back there on sunny days. 

The windows are definitely a contributor, but don't waste the money on new ones. You'll never get a return on them no matter what any window salesman tells you. Trust me on this one.

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

The windows are definitely a contributor, but don't waste the money on new ones. You'll never get a return on them no matter what any window salesman tells you. Trust me on this one.

Totally agree and the money here is a HUGE amount.  Would easily eclipse 75K  to get all new windows through out. 

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Totally agree and the money here is a HUGE amount.  Would easily eclipse 75K  to get all new windows through out. 

Post pandemic, prices are crazy. I replaced windows in 3 house over the years myself with average price of $250/window. They're fine and the few issues I had were quickly resolved by manufacturer. I did put some more expensive ones in my sunroom, but that's because I went overkill with triple panes. 

Nowadays, middle of the road windows installed are often close to $1000 a window. They're nuts.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Post pandemic, prices are crazy. I replaced windows in 3 house over the years myself with average price of $250/window. They're fine and the few issues I had were quickly resolved by manufacturer. I did put some more expensive ones in my sunroom, but that's because I went overkill with triple panes. 

Nowadays, middle of the road windows installed are often close to $1000 a window. They're nuts.

And the windows in this new addition are 3-4K each.    They are big boys.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

Who needs windows? I want a below-ground house so it's a constant 55 inside and wind isn't a thing. 

I'm only half kidding. 

I do want a 3D printed concrete house. A friend is an engineer at a Texas firm that's a leader in those and they're absolutely incredible. 

You would still need to bring your trash cans to the surface. 

• Haha 1