Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Video Camera

soadforecasterx

2 hours ago, soadforecasterx said:

i have wyze right now. looking to do something higher end. just didnt know if some one in here had a setup already they would recommend. 

I have a roof-mounted camera.  There are a couple of decisions points.  One is whether a system needs to be completely wireless, or if you have the ability to run power or ethernet to the location.  Another is if you want the video stored locally (bigger up-front cost for a video recorder), or if it is cloud-only (usually a monthly cost).  

My setup is a Reolink NVR system, which runs cameras via Power-over-Ethernet.  So, I had to go up into the attic and on the roof to run an ethernet cable, which wasn't overly difficult with my house, but could be sketchy for some situations.  I like that it runs continuously, I can access the video from everywhere, and I don't have an ongoing cost for data storage.  The downside is that it overwrites about every 7 days (I have an 8-camera system) and if the power goes out, oh well.  There are multiple camera options.  

One additional consideration that I figured out after the fact is that it is good if the camera is protected a bit with an overhang.  I ended up using a clear anti-squirrel baffle on a pole!

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much!!!!! I was looking at Reolink. Honestly when it comes down to things its mostly about video quality. I'm fine with running a line and honestly prefer that. Seems like i would cut out issues like battery life and wifi signal.  Having 7 day storage would be fine as well. The main point is really just to watch storms roll in while I'm away and then snow storms (if we get them anymore). What model reolink did you get?

18 hours ago, soadforecasterx said:

Thank you so much!!!!! I was looking at Reolink. Honestly when it comes down to things its mostly about video quality. I'm fine with running a line and honestly prefer that. Seems like i would cut out issues like battery life and wifi signal.  Having 7 day storage would be fine as well. The main point is really just to watch storms roll in while I'm away and then snow storms (if we get them anymore). What model reolink did you get?

I have this NVR:  https://reolink.com/product/rln8-410/

The cameras are always changing, so I'd just pick the ones you like based on the specs.