• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Pittsburgh, PA Fall 2024 Thread

There was a funnel report in Venango county yesterday, but no idea if it ever condensated to the ground.  The velocity couplet on radar was pretty distinct.  If nothing touched down, I'd be kind of shocked.  It was long-lived, too.

We had a transformer blow a few blocks away.  Lightning strike, not a lot of wind.  Lost power for a minute or two.

54 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Gonna be frigid next week for this time of the year!

Going to be unseasonably cold, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "frigid." Record low max temperatures for this time of the year are generally in the upper 30s to lower 40s. Doubt we see anything that cold.

image.png.0dc3357bade0fb84c9971d3bab315ba1.png

• Thanks 1

Will this be the year we see a 4"+ daily snowfall? Or will we break records for longest snowfall drought? It's currently been 943 days since the last 4"+ snowfall in a single calendar day. If we fail to reach that this winter, we will very likely reach a record streak.

image.png.21c48974b4f3b1582917f8a16be6d16c.png

1 hour ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

I am in Chalk Hill which is considered Pittsburgh area and I had 4-5 days last year with 5”+

These statistics for the airport. I did notice an error in my analysis. There was a 3.3" snowfall on February 15, which was the highest daily snowfall so far in 2024. It was also the most since 8.0" fell on March 12, 2022.

You are on the edge of the metro area, but have elevation (2000 feet +) so I'm not surprised you saw more snowfall. Not really representative of where the majority of people reside (generally 700' to 1300' ASL).

• Thanks 1

Lake effect saving us from frost and possible freeze. Looks like Thursday night and possibly Friday night are the best chances for frost. It doesn't look like a widespread freeze, but outlying areas - especially valley locations - could see subfreezing conditions on one or more mornings.

At PIT, 7 of the last 9 days have been cooler than the current normals, but we are still nearly 2F above normal overall for the month. Looks like we'll tack on at least a couple/few more below normal days, which could bring us down to near seasonal averages before a warming trend commences.