Newest Member
    Sirianni
September 2024 obs

GaWx

:weep::weep::weep:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
0833 PM EDT TUE SEP 24 2024

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ATLANTA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 93 DEGREES WAS SET AT ATLANTA TODAY.
THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 93 DEGREES SET IN 1980.

I had a heavy batch of showers that came NW off the ocean here the last hour, the heaviest in at least a couple of weeks. The only other significant rain I’ve had this month was 1.5” during 9/5-8. So, since Aug 20th the only significant rains have been today’s and the rain of 9/5-8. I’ll get the measurement later. This was unexpected as there earlier had been no chance of rain and the models didn’t have it. 

This is important because I finally had a Storm Shield garage door rubber threshold placed yesterday afternoon by company #2 after waiting for several weeks for company #1 to install it to try to prevent future flooding during heavy rain events after what Debby did last month. It requires 48 hours of dry prior to install so the adhesive would be effective. The appointment had been for this afternoon, but fortunately on Mon I was able to move it up to yesterday. Had I not done that, they wouldn’t have been able to install it today in advance of Helene. Whew! 

It would have been better to not have any rain today to give more time for the adhesive to set in better. But the rain started 19 hours after install. So, hopefully that was enough time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GaWx said:

I had a heavy batch of showers that came NW off the ocean here the last hour, the heaviest in at least a couple of weeks. I’ll get the measurement later. This was unexpected as there earlier had been no chance of rain and the models didn’t have it. 

This is important because I finally had a Storm Shield garage door rubber threshold placed yesterday afternoon by company #2 after waiting for several weeks for company #1 to install it to try to prevent future flooding during heavy rain events after what Debby did last month. It requires 48 hours of dry prior to install so the adhesive would be effective. The appointment had been for this afternoon, but fortunately on Mon I was able to move it up to yesterday. Had I not done that, they wouldn’t have been able to install it today in advance of Helene. Whew! 

It would have been better to not have any rain today to give more time for the adhesive to set in better. But the rain started 19 hours after install. So, hopefully that was enough time.

I'd think that would be enough time especially with the heat down there but just in case I wouldn't lift the door up at all until after all this is settled if you can help it.

• Thanks 1

A 2nd batch of heavy showers moving NW off the ocean just came through. There may be a 3rd batch later. This area seems to be on a train track for showers today. None of this has been forecasted earlier by NWS/models.

Edit: I ended up with ~2”, none of which had been forecasted by models and the NWS had no mentioned pop til a few hours before. And it turned out I had a little water coming in to my garage on the side that had the most during Debby as well as from the thunderstorm 8/20.

I had some rain last night though only ~0.25”. But late this morning I got nearly 2” within just an hour! It stopped for now. That brings me to ~4” since yesterday. My street flooded. Hoping not too much more will fall the next 24 hours, including from the more direct effects of Helene.

Thankful for the more reasonable rainfall totals here in the Triad in September. However, we still managed to smash the record for most number of 7"+ months in a year at 5 (Jan, may, Jul, Aug, Sep), with the previous record being 3 (5 instances). We are currently ahead of our 2018 record for rainfall and have a very good chance at a top 3 rainfall year yet again (all of the top three would be set in the last 7 years)

I ended up with ~6.75” of rainfall this month, with ~5.25” of that just before and during Helene (9/25-7). The other 1.5” fell Sep 5-8, which at the time was the first measurable rainfall since Aug 20th.

Highest temperature inside this month has been ~83 with high RH and calm winds due to the still ongoing power outage caused by Helene.