Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
September Banter 2024

George BM

9 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Not sure what to say about the O’s. I’m sure the dark days of 2018-2021 had offensive stretches like this but maybe I just expected it and don’t remember. But this complete team wide ineptitude is inexplicable with a team that was scoring the most runs in the league 3 months ago.

I still think the team that scored all those runs and was never out of it the first 3 months is still there. That's why I am not writing them off no matter how bad it looks right now. With that level of talent in this lineup, you cannot rule out the possibility of them catching fire at the last minute. Not making a definite prediction that they will, just that I think there's a rather distinct chance. It's enough for me not to give up on the season until we know for sure.

On 9/16/2024 at 11:12 PM, nj2va said:

Impressive game winning drive by Cousins! Woo Philly loses. 

The eagles horribly messed up the way they managed the last 2 mins but not the way people think.  The actual mistake they made there was bigger but no one is talking about it because it goes against the norm 

Here is how they screwed up. 3rd and 3 at the 8 yard like with 1:40 left up by 3. Other team out of timeouts. Yes you run there not pass which is what most are upset about. But it’s bigger and here is why. If you don’t get it you go for it on 4th not kick the FG to go up 6 like they did which everyone is ok with because that’s the normal call there. The best play by the probabilities though is to run on 3rd. Then go for it on 4th and if you want to pass there fine because the clock stops anyways but it’s still better to run. 

So this is why. You give yourself 2 plays to get 3 yards. You run the clock down to 55 seconds if you don’t get it. Now the odds of getting 3 yards with 2 runs is about 76%.  Passing one of the plays doesn’t actually change the odds much but it stops the clock!  

But if you don’t get it they have the ball at about the 6 yard line. They don’t have a great kicker. They need about 60 yards for a chance at a fg in 55 seconds. To tie. And it’s only a 85% chance, their kickers make %. And even then you would still have a 50/50 chance to win, it’s only tied. 

Or…you kick the FG and they get it at the 30 and need 70 yards to beat you. A TD beats you either way. But you gave them less yards to get that TD. You eliminated a FG to tie but radically increased the chances you lose!  That’s bad math!  

And they know that and are more aggressive. They don’t start backed up at the end zone on the road. Defenses play more soft when defending against a TD and if often backfires. 

So by kicking a fg you are choosing a scenario where they need 70 yards to definitely beat you v them needing 60 yards just to have an 85% chance to tie or 94 yards to beat you.

That’s a no brainer to me. You run twice to get the first down. If you don’t get it you give it to them at the 6 and they need about the same yards but only to tie v win.  It’s math.

• 100% 1

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

They would have to sweep to clinch.  There magic number is 5 games... but if they do win 2 of 3... it is a foregone conclusion that they will clinch.

Here's the math: The O's with 2 more wins get to 87. Detroit at best can only get 87, so that's a tie. (Minnesota is irrelevant in this, I'll explain in a bit). The O's and Tigers would split the season series 3-3, again a tie. 2nd tiebreaker is intradivision record. At worse the O's go 30-22, at best the Tigers 30-22, again a tie. 3rd tiebreaker is interdivision record. With 2 wins against Detroit, the worst the O's could do is 37-27. The Tigers at best, 35-29, giving the O's that tiebreaker.

Why Minnesota is irrelevant: If the Twins finish ahead of Detroit, obviously they are in and that doesn't matter. If the Twins finished at 87 wins as well however, the O's have THAT tiebreaker as well. The O's swept Minnesota earlier, so the best Minnesota could do next weekend is tie. Minnesota has already lost 23 games in their division, the O's at worse lose 22, again giving that tiebreaker to the O's.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, RickinBaltimore said:

Here's the math: The O's with 2 more wins get to 87. Detroit at best can only get 87, so that's a tie. (Minnesota is irrelevant in this, I'll explain in a bit). The O's and Tigers would split the season series 3-3, again a tie. 2nd tiebreaker is intradivision record. At worse the O's go 30-22, at best the Tigers 30-22, again a tie. 3rd tiebreaker is interdivision record. With 2 wins against Detroit, the worst the O's could do is 37-27. The Tigers at best, 35-29, giving the O's that tiebreaker.

Why Minnesota is irrelevant: If the Twins finish ahead of Detroit, obviously they are in and that doesn't matter. If the Twins finished at 87 wins as well however, the O's have THAT tiebreaker as well. The O's swept Minnesota earlier, so the best Minnesota could do next weekend is tie. Minnesota has already lost 23 games in their division, the O's at worse lose 22, again giving that tiebreaker to the O's.

Lol. That was way too in-depth. I was just going off records. Lol

• Haha 2

On a baseball related note....Ohtani had probably the best offensive game last night when he also was the first player to go 50/50.   6 for 6, 3 homeruns, 10 Rbi and 2 SB.  It did look like Norby didn't try to tag on the 2nd SB, but who cares :-)

52 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

On a baseball related note....Ohtani had probably the best offensive game last night when he also was the first player to go 50/50.   6 for 6, 3 homeruns, 10 Rbi and 2 SB.  It did look like Norby didn't try to tag on the 2nd SB, but who cares :-)

Guess who give up the 50th HR... our good friend Mike Baumann... I am so glad he is gone.  The Marlins is this 5th this year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Great win last night. Everything is coming together. The Orioles injured players are slowly coming back and will be ready for the playoffs. I just hope GRod is ready. 

Grayson seems like the one with the lowest odds to return. Mounty starts his rehab today with Norfolk, although I think the Tides only have 2 more games?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Not sure why he was still in the game when he hit the last one, which was off a position player lobbing 60 mph fastballs. They had a 2 touchdown lead at that point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Interstate said:

Great win last night. Everything is coming together. The Orioles injured players are slowly coming back and will be ready for the playoffs. I just hope GRod is ready. 

GrayRod isn't going to be back until next season from what Elias has said, at least how I've read it.

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Runner on 3rd with no outs and can’t score :arrowhead:

If that doesn't tell you the problem has been mental all this time, I don't know what to tell ya. That's not the hitting coaches, not Hyde...this has been something the PLAYERS have had to work through. I think k they're making progress overall, but...sweet mercy.

Was at the game last night. To say the crowd was deflated after that 9th is putting it mildly. Hyde needs to go. And yes, some of this is coaching. Why do you not at least try to suicide squeeze with Mullins up and Holliday on 3rd? 

Or have Holliday run on contact on a ground ball? Or on Santander's popup, tag up as soon as those 2 Tigers collided? Sending Adley in the 4th was also a decision that was mindboggling to say the least. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RickinBaltimore said:

Was at the game last night. To say the crowd was deflated after that 9th is putting it mildly. Hyde needs to go. And yes, some of this is coaching. Why do you not at least try to suicide squeeze with Mullins up and Holliday on 3rd? 

Or have Holliday run on contact on a ground ball? Or on Santander's popup, tag up as soon as those 2 Tigers collided? Sending Adley in the 4th was also a decision that was mindboggling to say the least. 

Holliday should have tagged in the 9th. He could have been home either way if it was caught or dropped.

Os really need to win this game, and the series. Seems like its been forever. Not off to a great start.

As for the Ravens- on paper they should win, but I am not sure I can emotionally invest in this one after the debacle last week.. I am probably going to go out and blow leaves and do some mowing, and check in at halftime to see how its going. 0-3 would be really tough to overcome.

• Like 1