Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
September Banter 2024

George BM

1 hour ago, snowfan said:

Hoping the Royals can grab the 5 seed. I like the Os chances vs them as opposed to the Tigers…..they’ve been on a tear in the 2nd half. 

Avoiding Skubal in a three-game series would be good.

My Twins have just gone 11-23 over the past month plus and squandered a playoff spot.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

Meh, let the Yanks have the division. I'd prefer an O's win tonight, making the last 2 meaningless. 

Tigers have the Chisox and could easily win out.  Definitely need a win for home field for the WC.  Be nice to get it tonight to rest and set up the pitching for next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Thanks man! We absolutely love it down here. Feel completely at home and the people are wonderful. Need to change lanes? Oh, just use a blinker. Need to pull out in "traffic"?... first person that can make a space does with a wave. Loading lumber alone at the yard? Employees and customers together come over and help and there is no saying "no". After many decades in DC metro, you forget that the vast majority of people out there are truly kind and helpful. Sad but true for me. 

It's getting kinda hairy down here honestly. Flickering lights and long drawn out gusts last 30 mins. If it gets to damage level I'll take a vid and upload it

Moving this over here to banter...Mrs. V and I have mostly considered SC (Myrtle Beach, in particular) for our next and final landing spot for retirement. BUT...if we elected to stay in VA, the Smith Mt. Lake to Lynchburg region has increasingly caught our interest. Your off-the-cuff report here tells me we need to dig deeper in our investigations into that region. One thing is for absolute sure...we're going to GTHO of close-in NoVA. UGH.

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

0s magic number is 1, right? They just need 1 win (or, I guess a Tigers loss, but, yeah given they are playing the White Sox...) - in any event a win and they secure home field for the 3-game wild card series?

Yes

43 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Moving this over here to banter...Mrs. V and I have mostly considered SC (Myrtle Beach, in particular) for our next and final landing spot for retirement. BUT...if we elected to stay in VA, the Smith Mt. Lake to Lynchburg region has increasingly caught our interest. Your off-the-cuff report here tells me we need to dig deeper in our investigations into that region. One thing is for absolute sure...we're going to GTHO of close-in NoVA. UGH.

When we first found the land we bought on leesville lake (lake access no frontage) we had no idea if we would "fit in" on a personal level. All kinds of preconceived ideas of "how it is". I was embarrassingly wrong lol. Spending a week in the area in summer 2022 was all it took. It's unique here with super rural remote land surround by pockets of recreational 2nd properties of all types and sizes. 

Our penhook property is in a locals haven and the weekenders are similar. The community were in until we build our house is 80% weekenders and 20% full timers. People are a lot of fun and super casual. No million dollar personalities here but plenty close by. 

Smith mtn lake in the summer draws in A LOT of what we moved away from but it's people having fun and not commuting to work. Still gets crowded in the Westlake area on weekends. Easy to avoid in totality because the  crowded areas are teeny compared to expansive country. We don't spend much if any time in those areas during peak season. 

Our part of leesville lake is always deserted with minimal development. It's awesome if being left completley alone is your jam. Life is a trip lol.

Eta: the #1-3 reasons we relocated here is cost of living. Going from $8k/yr prop taxes to $800 is liberating AF. Car insurance dropped 40%. Groceries are soooo much cheaper and far better. Local grass fed beef is everywhere and beautiful ribeyes are usually $8/lb or less. So many examples of lower cost it's shocking how bad I was bent over in Rockville lolol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oy...I feel like the last exciting/memorable weather thing to happen here was the 2016 blizzard. Like since then, not much in any season! Can't get snow, can't manage some good remants...we're still paying for that run we went on from 2009-2016 aren't we? Lol I mean that was awesome with Irene and Sandy, the derecho, the earthquake, and of course allll the snow. C'mon give us something--if we can't get snow I'd take some tropical (snow preferred of course!) Just want something stimulating!

On 9/28/2024 at 10:08 AM, RickinBaltimore said:

Good to see the Birds sew up home field last night. Most likely getting the Tigers, hopefully they figured out those pitching matchups.

That game 1 pitching matchup between burnes and Skubal is A+. Really important for burnes to avoid giving up early innings runs like he’s been prone to.